Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 17:49   #1

Snowbound in CO-Need Encouragement

Bad real estate market...still in Colorado. -18F yesterday. Lots of snow. Thought we wanted a trawler until we sailed 7 days last May on a Cat....Loved it. Any thoughts?? We were on a Prout with galley down. Looked at lots of Cats online with galley up/owner's stateroom. They look really good. Think of us when you look at salty water/sand..........
Mike and Jodi
jtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 19:21   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Snowbound in CO-need encouragement

Thoughts? Break out the skis.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 19:45   #3

Will gladly trade snow skis for water skis!
Old 23-12-2012, 19:45   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Thoughts? Break out the skis.
My thoughts exactly!

Wish we had some snow here right now!
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 19:48   #5

Oh wait, you're in Michigan, can't be too warm there either.
Old 23-12-2012, 19:54   #6

Boston, you can have our snow too. Born and raised in colorado, ready for the warm ocean sand and sun.
Old 23-12-2012, 20:20   #7

Boat: Cross, 1981, 39.8'

Only white stuff I want to see on the ground is the sand here in north FLA. LOL.. Jtrapper Sail boats are relaxing and work all combined in a boat of Liquid Therapy. In my opinion I would not have anything but a sailboat. I personally prefer multihulls. Prouts are solid boats. I am about to sail to the Bahamas and I probably won't use more than 60 gallons of diesel the whole trip, unless I have a real problem. Now that is a lot of quite water passing by the hulls with only the sound of my preferred music and the wind on the sails and shrouds. I will work harder than a motor sailor and I will have to think more than a motor sailor, but it is well worth it at least to me. If you are having second thoughts at least go sailing a few more times before you make a purchase. Happy sailing
cpt mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 20:53   #8

It was the cat that convinced my hubby that he could give up a trawler. Wind is free! Plus, we want to do more than coastal cruise. We have not liked the few monohulls we have seen. I have seen on a few websites that said you need a trampoline for blue water cruising. Is this true? The Prout we were on did not have one.
Old 23-12-2012, 21:00   #9

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrapper View Post
Bad real estate market...still in Colorado. -18F yesterday. Lots of snow. Thought we wanted a trawler until we sailed 7 days last May on a Cat....Loved it. Any thoughts?? We were on a Prout with galley down. Looked at lots of Cats online with galley up/owner's stateroom. They look really good. Think of us when you look at salty water/sand..........
Mike and Jodi
Mike,

I am sure your Jodi would approve also. Recomend you go to the boat show">Miami boat show in Feb and get a look at the layouts of various vessels and then consider a charter in BVI on one similar to one you like.

The right vessel can also be a good motorsailer also for times when no wind or punching a seaway.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 03:29   #10

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrapper View Post
I have seen on a few websites that said you need a trampoline for blue water cruising. Is this true? The Prout we were on did not have one.
Not if the design is right. Hundreds of Prouts have done blue water with a good number completing circumnavigations. Prouts generally have very high bows so the solid front sections don't slam very often.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 03:52   #11

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Were on a 11 day sailing trip now in Fl. This cold really sucks. It was 75 yesterday water in the 60,s. Lol probably haha. Whats your budget For a new cat?.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 07:02   #12

The wind is free but it costs a lot to catch it.
blighhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 07:52   #13

Boat: Cross, 1981, 39.8'
Re: Snowbound in CO-Need Encouragement

You don't need a tramp, but it is a nice option. I have a 40' tri with bow nets and they are my favorite lounging spot on the boat. on a lite sailing day it is like being in a hammock over a stream. Cruising Trimarans and catamarans don't list (lean over) like a monohull. But in real bad weather Id rather be in a monohull. There are so many options and that is why like Downunder said the Miami boat show could sure be an enlightening experience. As for me I would never by a new boat. I prefer old school. No complicated computer crap in the motors or wiring systems. The only chips for me go in the Garmin or on my plate. The money you save can refit a boat with your favorite goodies, if need be. Merry Christmas
cpt mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 08:08   #14

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Snow would be just fine with me, so long as it came with the daily temperatures one experiences on any randomly selected south pacific island.

Really, other than increasing the power of my biceps, as a teenager digging out long northern clime driveways, I could never fathom snow in combination with very much romance.

Both of my experiences with snow skiing involved straight line snow plow shots to the bottom. In the last (thank God) instance, I snow plowed right up the ramp into the lodge dining area!
Old 24-12-2012, 08:09   #15

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Snow would be just fine with me, so long as it came with the daily temperatures one experiences on any randomly selected south pacific island.

Really, other than increasing the power of my biceps, as a teenager digging out long northern clime driveways, I could never fathom snow in combination with very much romance.

Both of my experiences with snow skiing involved straight line snow plow shots to the bottom. In the last (thank God) instance, I snow plowed right up the ramp into the lodge dining area!