Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2014, 14:02   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Smallest cat for the Caribbean

What is the smallest cat for 1 person sailing in the Bahamas and Caribbean.
I will be living on this cat for up to 5 months at a time so it will need things like auto pilot, water maker, safety gear and food.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 14:07   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Smallest cat for the Caribbean

Small cats are too light for a watermaker, arn't they? A friend cruises the Caribbean on a tiny one, about 25 foot.
The Caribbean is easy, a Hobie Cat would make it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 14:40   #3

Ok - let me rephrase the question like this. Single Sailor.

What is the minimum size cat that can have a water maker, auto pilot, AIS and safety gear.

Do I need a 42' cat or will a 32' cat work? If 32' cat will not work what is the minimum size I should be looking at?

Thanks

Old 18-08-2014, 14:54   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I will be living on this cat for up to 5 months at a time so it will need things like auto pilot, water maker, safety gear and food.
A Gemini 105Mc would fit your needs. Will sail in very skinny water.
A perfect single handed live aboard catamaran.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 14:55   #5

There is a Nice iroquai for sale in florida. 30 ft and nicely renovated and refitted. I believe they want 25000 for it

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cubaloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 15:52   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

I'm a bit partial to the Maine Cat 30. We have one right now and it's very easy to single hand and would have room for all you need. Before we owned it, our boat was actually single handed across the Gulf of Mexico and then over to the Bahamas. They're excellent boats.
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 17:02   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I would believe that things like a Prout Sirocco could do?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 17:57   #8

Size of the boat ain't as important to your want list as the power needed to run them accessories .
I spent 13 years in the Carib without a watermaker , I only went to islands where water was available .
Any cat 30 feet and up will be alright if rigged to supply power , either solar , wind , generator or alternator off engine . Watermaker will require a lot of energy but only when running ,so you conserve .
Auto pilot needs energy only when you are using it and you will not be using it except when making a long jump .
I agree with Barnakeil , look at some Prouts , unless you are a millionaire .
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 22:04   #9

Boat: O'day 27

i'd recommend the tomcat 9.7 or maybe even the 6.2
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 17:17   #10

Thanks to everyone. I have googled all mentioned cats. I will be going to the Annapolis Show in early Oct. and will take this list with room for notes..then looked for a used cat.

Fyi - I liked what I saw.

Old 19-08-2014, 17:57   #11

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
For the most part no where in the Bahamas is more than a daylight sail from one anchorage to the next, but this is not always the case in the Caribbean. You also start hitting the trade winds as you get more South in the Caribbean. Not saying you should not go there just that there are some real differences in the two places and you can get by with more of a coastal cruiser in the Bahamas while the Caribbean may require more of a blue water boat. Another difference is you may well be able to find more food stores with a bigger selection in the Caribbean than in the Bahamas with less sailing. Draft can also be a consideration, lots more skinny water in the Bahamas than in the Caribbean.

There is a big price range and lots of boats in that range that could fit your needs. But the first thing you need to do is determine your price point and then start narrowing down the boats at that price point.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 19:13   #12

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

I agree, knowing your max price would help. The Prout and MaineCat are great, but not if your max is $100k. I owned a PDQ32 and it would be a great single-hander catamaran; choose between twin 9.9 outboards or twin diesels. Plenty of room for solar panels...sails great. There is room under the aft bunks for a water maker. Hint...add a windlass with remote at the helm.
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 19:27   #13

My absolute max is 120k. My plan is to find something I like at the Annapolis show and go back in years until I can find one in my price range.

I am encouraged that they do make cats that can be sailed single handed.

In the next week or so I will make a trip to the east coast to look for 30' to 34' cats since I have never been on one.

Old 20-08-2014, 16:24   #14

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

We sold our PDQ32 for about $120k and it was a really nice example of that boat. When we bought her we also looked at the Gemini 105 which you can find used in your price range as well. We love the layout of the Gemini with the 3 cabins but found the quality to be more and more disappointing the more we looked. Huge quality difference between the two boats. You'll be able to see a Gemini at the Annapolis show. To see the quality of a PDQ, go look at the Antares 44 if they have one at the show; same manufacturer. When you look at the boats at the show, open cupboards or pull up floor boards and really LOOK at the boat...not just the pretty outside stuff.
It's a pretty exciting adventure going out there alone...best of luck to you!
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 20:54   #15

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
My absolute max is 120k. My plan is to find something I like at the Annapolis show and go back in years until I can find one in my price range.

I am encouraged that they do make cats that can be sailed single handed.

In the next week or so I will make a trip to the east coast to look for 30' to 34' cats since I have never been on one.
Don't disagree with any of that. But would suggest you ask some questions or lurk to get some idea about buying used boats. Not saying there are no pitfalls in buying new boats as well.

But to some extent I think the best way to proceed is to check out the used boat market and see what is there instead of focusing on one particular make of boat and looking for that make. I looked at a PDQ and a Gemini and a Shuttleworth. Quite frankly I liked the Shuttleworth better than the other two. But I would up with a Seawind which I liked better than any of those three.

But to a great extent the choice of the Seawind was based on its condition. The previous owner had done a good job of refitting it. The only real upgrade I did was getting a Honda 2000. None of the other boats were close to being ready to go.

One decision you will need to make no matter which make of boat you get is how much you want/need to refit as opposed to getting one ready to cruise.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib