Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 07:06   #1

Boat: Seaching for a small Trimaran to live aboard
Lightbulb Small Trimaran for Live Aboard (Suggestions and Tips)

Hi everybody,

I am very new to the sailing community but decided to invest some time now to reach one of my old time goals. I now that many people called it a “dream” but I rather call a goal because I want to reach it soon, so it sounds better that way. So please do feel offended if some of my questions or comments sound stupid, I am searching for knowledge.

But off course it is a “dream” life that I am looking for. I want to live aboard and sail. This is something that you “veteran sailors” must hear every day, but my GOAL has a little special touch. I want a small boat (as possible) so I can go to very low and non populated islands to dive (scuba and apnea).

I have been working on a trimaran everyday for the past 8 months and felt in love with it. That is way I am looking for some advices and tips from people that have experience and maybe one day started with a similar “dream or goal” as me.

My question is: What would be a good boat for me?

Some things that I am looking for:
· Trimaran
· Live aboard
· 2 person capacity
· Good boat for a novice sailor (Off course I am not going to cruise before I feel ready)
· 30 – 37´ (this was a suggestion that I got, but open for comments)
· Not for racing purpose
· Under US$ 30 K

I know that what I am looking is not something easy to find, but I am very committed to do it so any help from you would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help.
Breno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:10   #2

What do you mean, "working on a trimaran every day...?"
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:51   #3

My actual job is dive instructor-guide and I work on a Trimaran. So I spend all my time on it during the working hours.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:30   #4

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Breno,
I don't expect that you'll find anything in that price range ready to go so you''l need to budget for a refit. You can save while living aboard and learn the boat while getting it ready. The vintage designs are what will be in that price range but many are proven offshore boats. They are one offs so build quality will vary greatly. You may be lucky enough to find a Horstman Tristar in that area and that would be my first choice. Searunners,Cross, Piver and Marples are noted designs. You may even find a retired racer with an old rig that can be depowered for cruising. Hold out for standing headroom and composite construction if you can. Given the time, estate settlements can net a good deal for you and a relief for a grieving family, ask around at marinas as the best deals are seldom advertised. Good luck, Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:45   #5

Thanks Dave,

I know it will not be easy, specially because I am living in a very small island, that means very little boats come around.

I will search for your suggestions, but what do you think about a 1968 Newick 36´? If it has been well kept, do you think that the age could be a big concern?

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:50   #6

Boat: Farrier f27
Searunner 31's can be had in that range and fit for sailing, probably not setup for ocean passages. They can't be beat as an overall package of liveaboard & seaworthiness. If you look there are a few around and some are built well enough to be worthy of consideration. In the 80's I found them scattered around the globe in SE Asia and even Africa as well as N America.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 18:59   #7

Breno,
The omission of Dick Newick earlier was simply oversight. His designs are very well thought of though I have no personal experience with them. I concur with Randy reguarding the Searunners even being partial to Tri Stars. So far as the age of the design, I had a Piver designed in the 60's and she sailed like a dream. Again, the designs are sound but build quality varies greatly. Artur Piver sailed Nimble across the Atlantic and Lodestar all over the Pacific. Ed Horstman was second to finish in the Transpac in the original Tristar, a 40. I don't know the Newick 36 but it probably wasn't built where she is now lying. Take your time. Dave
Old 03-07-2010, 19:10   #8

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Another way to look at it is to simply find something that floats and sails for $30k. Float on it, sail it, fix up the cosmetic issues, then turn it for a little more money. In the time that you do so, especially where you are living and working, you will have gained a vast amount of personal awareness of what it is you are actually looking for. Or, you can wait for some unknown amount of time for the ideal boat to appear in your bay, with the owner desperate to get rid of it. Not as likely a scenario. Since you are operating at the lower fringe of resources, turn this into an asset. You will learn an awesome amount of stuff from having a small, minimalist boat while anchored or moored in Paradise. Build on this opportunity. You'll get there. Just be patient and work hard making the immediate boat shiny and desireable. And go sailing on every multi that cruises into your neighborhood.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 19:24   #9

$30,000 your dreaming, big time.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:52   #10

Thanks a lot Randy, Dave and Roy.

I started looking to some searunners also. I knew from the beginning that this would not be an easy goal to reach, but that is what keeps us alive right?

I have a very good friend that build his own boat and sail around the world for nearly 7 years. He is a professional carpenter and is willing to help me with this project. That is why a ply/epoxy could be a good choice for my now. If it is in good shape of course.

Roy, I don´t have to start cruising immediately, so I can follow your advice and live aboard as I fix up things and learn more about the boat and sailing it. That is my intention.

Beau, what is life without a dream?

Thanks everybody for the help and please feel free to add more comments and suggestions (including boats for sale of course).
Old 04-07-2010, 20:00   #11

There are reportedly 2 searunners, a lodestar and an F-27 without a mast for less than $30,000 in Marathons Boot Key Harbor. A buddy sold his Twiggy Mk1 for less than $10,000 and it was near perfect. The deals are out there you just need to look. Dave
Old 04-07-2010, 20:57   #12

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
A buddy sold his Twiggy Mk1 for less than $10,000 and it was near perfect. The deals are out there you just need to look. Dave
A twiggy?
Live a board?

For incredibly friendly midgets perhaps
Old 05-07-2010, 06:24   #13

Fair point about the Twiggy, but she was a lot of boat for the money. Dave
Old 05-07-2010, 07:44   #14

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
The old Telstar 26 Trimarans regularly sell in that pice range. I would classify it as a pocket cruiser. It would be a very cosy live aboard and I'm not crazy about how they perform in any notable seas (hard decks and shape creates a lot of under deck slamming) , but it does have full standing headroom and sells in your price range. It's simple to sail and comfortably sleeps 2.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 14:31   #15

I have seen/heard about the F27 without a mast in Boot Key Harbor. My cousins live on their f-31 in Boot Key Harbor and the F27 capsized. So if you look at that, keep in consideration that it most likely has more damage then just without a mast. Good luck on your search
Patrick S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran