Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2015, 07:33   #76
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: Small Catamarans

Beat you to it and have already acknowledged my error (and spoke glowingly about Born to Cruise) - see the post above.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 18:45   #77

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandrebecca View Post
Southern Star: I don't know where you got your information but you are 100% wrong. We have never had any issues with our rig, let alone a dismasting! Since the day we purchased that boat, I have blogged almost daily. You'll see no mention of anything of the sort on our site. As the boat is presently for sale, I'd appreciate it if you would edit your post to remove this misinformation. It is in no way helpful.

Mike

PDQ 32 for sale | Zero to Cruising!

Having followed this blog as it was happening, I'd be very surprised if this event was not posted. I believe I am one of hundreds (thousands?) that would say it sounds like bogus rumor mill falsehood to me.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 18:52   #78
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Small Catamarans

RK, that comment has been refuted, clarified, confirmed, apologised for and settled z2c has never been dismasted while owned by Mike and Rebecca.
Btw mikeandrebecca, you may want to post the add in the for sale section if you haven't already done so, you never know your luck.. ⛵️
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 21:26   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
Hi all - I am the broker who has ZTC listed (2000 PDQ 32 Altair Classic Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com).

After reading this post - I phoned Mike and Rebecca immediately and asked them about this - already knowing the answer. ZTC has NEVER been dismasted. If it had been - Mike would have written about it in his blog!

I know that you are set at 80k - but if you could find a little more room in the budget - this would make a great small cruising cat! This boat really is ready to go cruising. For more information about Mike and Rebecca's adventures on ZTC check out their blog (Zero to Cruising!). You will also find the most detailed listing you could ask for.

Let me know if you have any questions.
I would love to have ztc but I dont have 30k more in my budget nice try though lol.
brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 02:41   #80

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

If your budget is 80, there is a pdq 32 lrc diesel version in miami for 72k or 79 obo. Also a 2002 endeavourcat 36 in Ft Myers for 70k, there are some serious deals out there just check craigslist

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 08:27   #81

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
With the Iroquois try for one with the shorter rig..

I wasn't aware they'd put a taller rig on a boat known for being a bit tippy! You have to love it when the owner's association maintains that you're not really sailing one right until you're flying a hull. Try that on a Lagoon! I unfortunately missed a honey of a deal on an Iroquois when I was on my mono in the Bahamas, but I hold out hope.
Also thinking of a 23' hirondelle, just so I can trailer it, but it's hard to give up so much space!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 10:24   #82
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I wasn't aware they'd put a taller rig on a boat known for being a bit tippy! You have to love it when the owner's association maintains that you're not really sailing one right until you're flying a hull. Try that on a Lagoon! I unfortunately missed a honey of a deal on an Iroquois when I was on my mono in the Bahamas, but I hold out hope.
Also thinking of a 23' hirondelle, just so I can trailer it, but it's hard to give up so much space!

I believe the original MK1 Iroquois had a taller rig and was known for being very tender. The MKII and MKIIA had a lower mast as well as some other modifications to make them more stable.
The Hirondelle has a 10' beam so will only be legally trailerable with a wide load permit? I believe in the states the max you can trailer without extra permits is 8'6".

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 12:50   #83

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Small Catamarans

Thanks for bringing that up. Trailering is a bit of a cloudy issue. 8'6" is the guaranteed no hassle width. Up to ten feet, many states it seems have a permit program that ranges from $5-$20 per trip, or up to $100 for unlimited trips in a year. Above ten feet, and you have to deal with a chase vehicle, trooper, etc. Most people seem to fudge the numbers a little and hope that the state trooper isn't carrying a tape measure, as ten feet looks a lot like 9'11"... But of course, it differs by state, trooper, and personal comfort with running the risk.

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 19:44   #84

Hi All,
I've been following this thread as I am similarly interested in a small cat to do some cruising from Australia up to Indonesia and on to Thailand. The shallow draft appeals as I will be hunting around the Islands for surf.
I did a trip last year from Phuket across the Malacca strait and around the islands off Sumatra as crew on a 40 foot ali monohull and I have moderate sailing experience, but not on cats.
I would be single handing or with one other crew most of the time, three max. A couple of spots are quite isolated so supply of food and fuel limited for maybe 5 weeks.
I've been looking at the Aussie market and was thinking maybe a Fastback 32??
But not sure if they have the range or load carrying capacity I require.
My budget is around $120 AUD.
Mattyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 22:34   #85

Mattye,
http://imgs.yachthub.com/1/7/8/8/9/6/2_3.jpg

Check this out;
Used Crowther Trimaran for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 00:07   #86

Thanks Redreuben, I checked it out, possibly a but small for me for the range I'm looking for.
Old 03-01-2016, 00:10   #87

And Thanks Al for the pic of your cat, I wasn't able to message you back but was wondering what make, size and price she is?
Old 06-01-2016, 23:09   #88

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I sailed a Gemini 105MC from Fiji to Bundaberg, 21 days, Single handed, and then down the Tasman to Port Stephens, 3000 Nmiles, 3 Oceans,
I never had a problem with the boat itself, I have never felt safer in any boat I have ever been in,
It does slam up wind, but down wind is quite comfortable and steady, and dosent slam,
I was in some rather large waves at times, Which didnt effect the Boat in any way,

I was mainly sailing 30 degrees off the wave line, except at night, when I sailed 90 degrees to the wave line, A foot off the bottom of the Genoa out, Drop the drive leg as a drogue, and go to sleep.
Self steering, GPS, The boat sailed itself,

Not being a sailor, I only used the Genoa, As the speed didnt alter with the Main up or down, according to the GPS, So I just didnt use it, I still maintained around 7 knots, Avg,

I was just cruising, So I didnt break anything, Its a big ocean out there,

This Gemini originally sailed from Morrow Bay California to Tahiti and Hawaii and then to Fiji, then across to Nuemea and back to Fiji, where I bought it from,
I believe it had been sailed to Bundaberg and back to Fiji once before as well, But I cant be positive on that one,

I had both hulls damaged when it got thrown up on the beach at anchor in a violent storm,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:27   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I guess you're not a mathematician either. It's roughly let say 1400 miles from Fiji to bundi. On 21 days? That's damn slow!
Old 07-01-2016, 06:47   #90

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I guess you're not a mathematician either. It's roughly let say 1400 miles from Fiji to bundi. On 21 days? That's damn slow!

Its also 1731 Miles in a straight line, From Bundaberg to Fiji, X 17 days actual sailing,

102 miles a day, which averages out at 4.2 miles an hour, this doesnt count the days when the wind wasnt blowing at all,
But when the wind was blowing, It choofed along at about 7 knots,
I needed 3 knots of wind before I actually moved,

Not being a sailor, even remotely close to being one, I never claimed to be a sailor, at any time, Yes I can make a sail boat go where I want it too, well almost,
Its too rough going up wind, It smashes things,
any thing goes wrong, I am on my own,

, I am a motor boat driver, Turn the key and go where ever I want to, Whats wind in a motor boat, Its totally irrelevant,

It was all trial and error, wind continously to the north, I wanted to go south, Yes it was very damn slow, And I am not about to break any thing by going fast, By putting strain on anything,

**** hey, This is the main sail, What are all these ropes and what do they do, Yep, I figured it out, Finally, A paper tiger only has one rope for the sail,

Single handed, I went to sleep, going north, then had to sail back the the same distance south again, It sort of adds to the Mileage travelled, with out going any where,

4 days in Vanatua, trying to get my GPS and maps working properly, So it was actually 17 days sailing, not 21 days,

I was learning all the way, It was also my first ever ocean voyage,
First time ever sailing a big Yacht, Or any yacht,

Crash course of One day and a half instruction from the previous owner on how all the systems worked,

I think I did pretty well for a rank amateur, Especially crossing quite a few reefs in the middle of the night,

I suppose you were an accomplished long distance sailor from the word go,
I bow to your superior accomplishments, And your very superior attitude,
And the fact you were never a learner, Ever,
WOW, you really are Mr Terrifico,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran