Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2015, 02:42   #61
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,026
Re: Small Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Having done exactly this...yes you need to account for travel costs but with modern technology, it is quite possible to do it without breaking the bank.

Of course, if you don't do your homework before heading to the Caribbean, you can expect it to just as easily kill your budget traveling around looking at boats.
As soon as one starts to look at multiple boats in different european countries (or even islands) the flights can get expensive.

Its easy and dead cheap to follow the normal vacation schemes: Holiday flighs from Germany or UK to Spain or Italy are sometimes as low as 15-20 Euro with dozens of direct flights daily.

But flying from one holiday destination to another is a different thing, especially in winter. Try to get from Menorca / Spain to Lefkas / Greece in winter. That will take several days, at least 3 connection flights and a long bus ride / rental car with costs easily reaching 1000 Euro.
__________________

__________________
rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 03:08   #62
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,080
Re: Small Catamarans

Maybe consider a tri like a Cross 38, usually much cheaper than a cat and great ocean boats
__________________

__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 03:29   #63
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,865
Re: Small Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
As soon as one starts to look at multiple boats in different european countries (or even islands) the flights can get expensive.

Its easy and dead cheap to follow the normal vacation schemes: Holiday flighs from Germany or UK to Spain or Italy are sometimes as low as 15-20 Euro with dozens of direct flights daily.

But flying from one holiday destination to another is a different thing, especially in winter. Try to get from Menorca / Spain to Lefkas / Greece in winter. That will take several days, at least 3 connection flights and a long bus ride / rental car with costs easily reaching 1000 Euro.
Sure if you do it willy nilly, it can quickly get expensive. This is exactly they same if you start bouncing around Caribbean islands willy nilly, it can get expensive.

Actually since it sounds like the OP is from the states, he is probably over 1000 euro with 1 stop to either the EU or the Carribean. Even a trip from the Midwest to Florida could push over 1000euro if you aren't careful.

We were able to do it by extending business trips to keep the cost down but if you are making a dedicated trip, you really need to vet the boats as much as you can before you show up. If you show up with just a picture and a 50 word description online, you will probably kill the budget with travel.

Assuming you can keep it down to 2 or 3 trips and watch how you spend the money, it's very doable with the OP's budget.
__________________
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 05:00   #64
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Small Catamarans

I would suggest you forget the Heavenly Twins.. they are a nice enough boat however if you are tall and well built climbing in and out the aft cabins is a chore and headroom in the salon is only around 4-5ft tops.
I delivered one this year and was aches and pains from the cramped living after 2 weeks.. great for the young, short and supple..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 11:04   #65
Registered User
 
brownoarsman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Round Bay, Severn River
Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Posts: 1,320
Re: Small Catamarans

Boatman, how did you find the twins sailing characteristics compared to other, larger cats you've delivered?
With no daggerboards or minikeels, a short mast, and mostly outboard propulsion, I've heard a lot of people trash them for their sailing/upwind characteristics, but would appreciate your more objective opinion!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 17:05   #66
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
Re: Small Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Boatman, how did you find the twins sailing characteristics compared to other, larger cats you've delivered?
With no daggerboards or minikeels, a short mast, and mostly outboard propulsion, I've heard a lot of people trash them for their sailing/upwind characteristics, but would appreciate your more objective opinion!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Like most of the English cats of the last century.. upwind they are motorsailors.. but dont try it in more than F4 and a 3ft chop..😃
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 17:50   #67
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 31
Re: Small Catamarans

Im really liking the edel cat 35 its a good sailor and has wide beam decent bridgedeck clearance and i can afford it! if anyone has been on one i would love to hear from you. Also it looks like i would have to buy in the caribbean but i would like to register it in the usa how hard is this if anyone has experience chances are it will be one of the french islands. Thanks to everyone
__________________
brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 18:25   #68
Registered User
 
brownoarsman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Round Bay, Severn River
Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Posts: 1,320
Re: Small Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Like most of the English cats of the last century.. upwind they are motorsailors.. but dont try it in more than F4 and a 3ft chop..😃

Thanks for the perspective; sounds like sometimes the Internet opinion gets it right! Now to look for an Iroquois


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 19:16   #69
Writing Full-Time Since 2014
 
thinwater's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Posts: 4,326
Re: small catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
... and know of one (Zero to Cruising) that lost her rig (although I cannot speak to the condition of the standing rigging at the time)....
I think you need to check your data on that one. I think they will disagree (they have not dismasted and the boat is in impeccable condition).

How do I convince my wife to go sailing? | Zero to Cruising!

I should add that the factory manual has specifications for off-shore rigging. With that, it would be extremely solid.
__________________
Gear Testing--Engineering--Sailing

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 21:05   #70
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Posts: 2,439
Re: Small Catamarans

I have no doubt that zero to cruising is in superb condition, but I still seem to recall that several years ago they broke a shroud and the mast came down, fortunately without any significant damage to the hull and deck. Mike and Rebecca can correct me if I am wrong, but as I recall the failed shroud occurred around Grenada (or in SVG).
__________________
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 05:44   #71
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
Re: Small Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Thanks for the perspective; sounds like sometimes the Internet opinion gets it right! Now to look for an Iroquois


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
With the Iroquois try for one with the shorter rig..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 13:38   #72
Registered User
 
admiralslater's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Toronto summer rest somewhere else
Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Posts: 670
Re: small catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I think you need to check your data on that one. I think they will disagree (they have not dismasted and the boat is in impeccable condition).

How do I convince my wife to go sailing? | Zero to Cruising!

I should add that the factory manual has specifications for off-shore rigging. With that, it would be extremely solid.
It is currently for sale with a broker I know, who has no knowledge of Zto C losing its rig
__________________
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 14:49   #73
Sponsoring Vendor
 
LTDsailing's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grenada, West Indies
Posts: 248
Re: Small Catamarans

Hi all - I am the broker who has ZTC listed (2000 PDQ 32 Altair Classic Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com).


After reading this post - I phoned Mike and Rebecca immediately and asked them about this - already knowing the answer. ZTC has NEVER been dismasted. If it had been - Mike would have written about it in his blog!


I know that you are set at 80k - but if you could find a little more room in the budget - this would make a great small cruising cat! This boat really is ready to go cruising. For more information about Mike and Rebecca's adventures on ZTC check out their blog (Zero to Cruising!). You will also find the most detailed listing you could ask for.


Let me know if you have any questions.
__________________
Chris Rundlett
LTD Sailing - Living the Dream!
www.ltdsailing.com

LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 16:57   #74
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Posts: 2,439
Re: Small Catamarans

OK, I stand corrected. And it is a great, well-built, well-maintained and well equipped small cat!
__________________
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 05:51   #75
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In transit. Currently in the Caribbean.
Boat: s/v Zero To Cruising. PDQ 32 Altair Classic Catamaran
Posts: 81
Re: Small Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I have no doubt that zero to cruising is in superb condition, but I still seem to recall that several years ago they broke a shroud and the mast came down, fortunately without any significant damage to the hull and deck. Mike and Rebecca can correct me if I am wrong, but as I recall the failed shroud occurred around Grenada (or in SVG).
Southern Star: I don't know where you got your information but you are 100% wrong. We have never had any issues with our rig, let alone a dismasting! Since the day we purchased that boat, I have blogged almost daily. You'll see no mention of anything of the sort on our site. As the boat is presently for sale, I'd appreciate it if you would edit your post to remove this misinformation. It is in no way helpful.

Mike

PDQ 32 for sale | Zero to Cruising!
__________________

__________________
www.ZeroToCruising.com
mikeandrebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catamaran

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ocean Crossing - How Small Is Too Small ? Geminidawn Monohull Sailboats 95 27-10-2014 08:51
Towing a Small Boat with a Small Car Sfkjeld General Sailing Forum 35 28-06-2013 16:02
Small Catamarans: What's Out There ? Banjo Multihull Sailboats 8 11-12-2011 23:34
How Small Is Too Small? grovernors Liveaboard's Forum 121 20-09-2010 04:07
How Small Is Too Small for Cruising ? Randoneur Monohull Sailboats 24 22-04-2010 13:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.