Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 16:37   #46

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: small catamarans

I saw a couple heavenly twins of the older model (26' not 27', outboard not diesels) for $20k asking when I was looking. Leaves a lot for a refit. And even the refit leaves a lot for the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 20:51   #47

We have 2 at the moment a Gemini 3400 and a Catalac 10m.

We just bought the Catalac in Europe (limited selection of Gemini's). Previous owner has taken it across the atlantic and back. I'm aware of at least a few others that have crossed.

We have more experience with the Gemini. Assuming you check it out before heading out (as you should any boat), I would have no worries about the boat not performing. The bridge deck issue really only applies in very specific situations. If you want to go head into a 2-4ft chop, it does slam. Bear off 20-30 degrees and it typically settles down. It's annoying but I've never heard of a failure due to it. Once the waves get bigger, you start riding over them rather smashing into them. Down wind (most of your proposed trip), it's just not an issue. I'm aware of at least 1/2 dozen that have made crossings. The much talked about complaint from the designer was more about 3wks in a small boat by an old guy doing the north atlantic at the wrong time of the year. Show me a 34' mono where that would be fun and we can talk.

At $80k, there are plenty of options out there. You could pick up our gemini and put $20k into upgrades and still be below the $80k mark. The Catalac we just picked up was less than 1/3rd you budget. We will probably wind up putting $10k into her but the bulk of that is accomodation changes (new upholstery, curtains, modifying the table to our liking, etc...) not safety at sea issues.

As mentioned there are probably a 1/2 dozen other models that are capable. Sure it would be nice to have a crewed 60'er but I'd much rather live upright looking out the window than in a cramped cave at a 20 degree list for 2-3 weeks.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 23:25   #48

There is something to be said for going minimalistic with the accommodation like a pod but still having actually better sailing performance.

In the tropics all you really need is a good big bed, simple galley a head and plenty of Shade!

A good steering device, nav equipment yet keep it as simple as possible.

All cats have lots of deck space and sit well at anchor, the lighter the boat the smaller the ground tackle too.
C-man77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:57   #49
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvaslacker View Post
Many multihulls around 30ft loa have crossed the Atlantic with families on board; a very overloaded Iroquois, for example, Rosie Swales and family in a 30ft Oceanic, which rounded Cape Horn, Pat Patterson in a 33ft Ocean Winds of his own design with a four person crew (he continued round the south of South America, though on the inside route, and I think circumnavigated), and, of course, James Wharram on the 23ft 6in Tangaroa with two amazing female companions. This was all some time ago when boats were much smaller.

Books are available documenting these voyages; "The Multihull Primer" by D H Clarke has a good listing and bibliography up to about 1978.

Most English boats of this era will not have mains wiring on board since there were very few marinas around.
Yes, I think it would be a lot different with someone else on board to watch the boat while you got a few hours sleep here and there. Someone to hold the wheel while you fixed a problem, etc.
Old 12-12-2015, 13:57   #50

Re: Small Catamarans

does anyone know much about the wharrams? I like the tiki 38. what do you think it would cost to have one built?
brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 15:55   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The tiki 38 is an EXTREMELY expensive boat to build. I have a friend that built one in Punta Gorda, took him 7 years for a beautiful boat. He was unable to sell it for the cost of materials a few years later. In my opinion/ professional experience the Wharrams over perhaps 26' are for people that really want to build a boat not for someone that really wants a boat.
Old 12-12-2015, 16:22   #52

Boat: Prout 34

You might check out the Prout Snowgoose 34's. They certainly can get around. Took mine across the Gulfstream recently, 14 hrs of bashing into waves (very noisy) with no harm to us or the boat. Prices are low, perhaps very low depending on condition. If you want to walk aboard a cat and start cruising with your budget, it's possible I'd think as long as you don't want or need to look snazy.
hurricanehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 12:10   #53

ok so the wharrams are out i would like a little more for living aboard. I really like the solaris sunrise 36 the prout event and snowgoose and the endeavourcat 30. Do you think the endeavour could do the job? I know one that crossed the pacific. The other two seem to be well proven and any of these seem to come in my price range so ive definetly narrowed it down. Thanks for all the help. If anyone has any info on these boats it will be appreciated especially sailing performance.
Old 13-12-2015, 13:10   #54

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonv View Post
ok so the wharrams are out i would like a little more for living aboard. I really like the solaris sunrise 36 the prout event and snowgoose and the endeavourcat 30. Do you think the endeavour could do the job? I know one that crossed the pacific. The other two seem to be well proven and any of these seem to come in my price range so ive definetly narrowed it down. Thanks for all the help. If anyone has any info on these boats it will be appreciated especially sailing performance.
With your budgetary requirements I think you should get a monohull or the the biggest prout you can manage . If you had a larger budget a PDQ 32 would also fit .I think that you should not write off a well built wharram either. I have never been on a HeavenlyyTwins but i would give them a closer look the seem very sensible to me . I am not a fan of the endeavor cat so IMO i would not consider one.
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 13:33   #55
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

It's worth taking a look at some of the local pages like this. A few decent designs at decent prices that are often too far away from the owners to deal with their boat. I just searched 30-90K, you can broaden the search to suit. There appears to be quite a few good deals across the board. You can change the search to guadeloupe as well. The French love their cats so there's always a lot on the French islands.
http://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/off...13&q=Catamaran
Grenada and Trinidad also have some local pages where you might find good deals.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 13:46   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
It's worth taking a look at some of the local pages like this. A few decent designs at decent prices that are often too far away from the owners to deal with their boat. I just searched 30-90K, you can broaden the search to suit. There appears to be quite a few good deals across the board. You can change the search to guadeloupe as well. The French love their cats so there's always a lot on the French islands.
Annonces Nautisme Catamaran Martinique - leboncoin.fr
Grenada and Trinidad also have some local pages where you might find good deals.
thanks a lot i have not seen those pages. looks like some good deals. I like the edel cats does anyone have experience with them?
Old 13-12-2015, 14:38   #57

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

OK, some food beside yachtworld...

I would not try to buy in Europe in the price range as the travel cost will eat too much of your boat budget. But French sites often list boats in the french Caribbean islands.

Boats for sale, used boats, new boat sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck worldwide
cosas de barcos (mostly spanish but you never know...)
Top Barcos (also spanish)
Sailboatlistings (mostly US)
TopAnnounces (France, may have something in the french islands)
wickedin (France again, there is a 1991 Privilege 12m for 80k Euro in Martinique, a solaris 42 for 60k Euro, several prout 37 frmo 45k on, etc)
Vivastreet (France: Edel cat, FP Maldives, FP Antigua)
Les annonces du catamaran V2.0 - Les annonces du catamaran V2.0 (France: Parallax 38 in Guadaloupe for 80k euro)
Annonces Bateau (France again: Two FP Maldives 32, Beneteau Blue, Edel 35, Snowgoose, etc)
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 16:33   #58

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

and of course the site from a fellow forum member:
Pocket Cruising Catamarans for sale by owner
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 18:46   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
and of course the site from a fellow forum member:
Pocket Cruising Catamarans for sale by owner
thanks theres a few i havnt found in there.
Old 13-12-2015, 19:56   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
OK, some food beside yachtworld...

I would not try to buy in Europe in the price range as the travel cost will eat too much of your boat budget. But French sites often list boats in the french Caribbean islands.

etc)
Having done exactly this...yes you need to account for travel costs but with modern technology, it is quite possible to do it without breaking the bank.

Of course, if you don't do your homework before heading to the Caribbean, you can expect it to just as easily kill your budget traveling around looking at boats.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran