Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 09:58   #31

Re: small catamarans

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far lots of good info. So are the british cats capable of an upwind passage obviously not pointing as high but can it be done at a decent speed. If I had more money I would love a newer high bridgedeck wide beam cat but I cant so a small one that sails flat appeals to me but safety is always a concern.
brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:02   #32
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

If you really need to get upwind then motorsailing will work very well.

Going upwind is rarely nice so best avoided if possible
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:38   #34
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Here are a few pulled of Yachtworld.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988...a#.VmskEWK9KSM
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986...9#.VmslBGK9KSM
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997...s#.VmslSmK9KSM
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...s#.VmslbGK9KSM
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986...s#.Vmsl9WK9KSM

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:48   #35

TPI Built Lagoon 37!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:34   #36

Ok so the boats for sale in europe am I opening a can of worms being that they will be wired for 220v 50hz and bringing it to the usa will I need to rewire or converter?
Old 11-12-2015, 13:20   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Before getting TOO far into the naysayers who will sit there and tell you all the reasons it can't be done, you might contact John P. in the UK. He sailed a 36 ft. Woods catamaran across the Atlantic to the Caribbean, up here to visit us, and then back across the Atlantic in one season. Alone. His outboard packed up and he came from Luperon up here to Provo with no aux power whatsoever. Bought an outboard here. He anchored off the marina here and rowed ashore to meet us for a couple rum punches. Then rowed back and sailed to Bermuda, the Azores, and home. He does have some tales to tell.

Tell John a small cat is not blue water capable. Go ahead.

Journey on a Woods Sagitta catamaran
Also consider a well built small Wharrram (watch out for rot issues). You could pick up one and still have a lot of that $80K left for the cruising kitty. Why waste it all on a boat when you could use it to extend your cruising. All costs get smaller with less LOA and fewer systems...time hanging out in foreign ports waiting on parts gets less too!

A friend of mine circumnavigated, and ran in the Jester Cup (transatlantic), on a Tiki 21.

http://www.roryandcookie.com/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 13:25   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonv View Post
Ok so the boats for sale in europe am I opening a can of worms being that they will be wired for 220v 50hz and bringing it to the usa will I need to rewire or converter?
Many cats in this size will not have mains wiring permanently installed (e.g. the Commanche), just 12V. Weight considerations will probably preclude the permanent installation of mains appliances. I don't think small multihulls are really suitable for the "fully loaded" treatment, except for Catalacs and Bill O'Brien Oceanics.

All obviously IMHO.
nuvaslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 13:35   #39

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonv View Post
There won't be any wiring in place except maybe a small charger.
Plus if you circumnavigate .... The world isn't 110v!
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 13:57   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
There won't be any wiring in place except maybe a small charger.
Plus if you circumnavigate .... The world isn't 110v!
There wont be any wiring? I get that for some of the boats but the prouts and a few others will have outlets and appliances right? I know most of the world is not 110v but when im in the states it is and 220v wired boat uses smaller wire than 110v. Its easier to use a converter on a 110v wired boat.
Old 11-12-2015, 14:09   #41

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

With a budget of 80k USD you are limited to older relatively small cats. If 80k is the full budget including required upgrades for extended cruising your choices are really limited.

I don't think that small cats of the 80s or eartly 90s like the Maldives or a Catalac came with much more than a battery charger. Of course some previous owners have added some mkre wiring and appliances.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 15:33   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. I too think a Prout is a neat way to get into less expensive cat life. They seem to sail better than Catalacs. BTW I have recently seen a Catalac 9 asked at less than 15k, so I think Catalacs are the less expensive ones.

I think some older and smaller cats have actually very much thinking done in their liveaboard'ability - good layouts, comfy bunks, etc. Not bad boats at all given what they offer and the price.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 15:40   #43
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
The Woods Sagitta is 30' !

Yes, 30 ft. Thanks. A typo. I was amazed he did it over and back. It was his first transAtlantic and to do it in a boat that size, solo, really impressed me. Imagining 20 ft. following seas in a 30 ft. catamaran alone.. not daring to fall asleep even if the adrenaline would let you, well..I just have to admit I don't think I have the cojones.

Good thing I also don't have the inclination.
Old 11-12-2015, 16:16   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Yes, 30 ft. Thanks. A typo. I was amazed he did it over and back. It was his first transAtlantic and to do it in a boat that size, solo, really impressed me. Imagining 20 ft. following seas in a 30 ft. catamaran alone.. not daring to fall asleep even if the adrenaline would let you, well..I just have to admit I don't think I have the cojones.

Good thing I also don't have the inclination.
Many multihulls around 30ft loa have crossed the Atlantic with families on board; a very overloaded Iroquois, for example, Rosie Swales and family in a 30ft Oceanic, which rounded Cape Horn, Pat Patterson in a 33ft Ocean Winds of his own design with a four person crew (he continued round the south of South America, though on the inside route, and I think circumnavigated), and, of course, James Wharram on the 23ft 6in Tangaroa with two amazing female companions. This was all some time ago when boats were much smaller.

Books are available documenting these voyages; "The Multihull Primer" by D H Clarke has a good listing and bibliography up to about 1978.

Most English boats of this era will not have mains wiring on board since there were very few marinas around.
nuvaslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 16:37   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If your a budget cruiser 25m of cable with plug and multi socket for mains stuff.. saves lotsa time and money..😉
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran