Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2010, 04:42   #1

Boat: Seahawk 48
Small Cat to Big Cat

Hello, I am wondering what it would be like to jump from sailing an 18 foot beach cat to sailing a 35 foot cruiser. Of course my wife and I plan on doing a week charter on one just to see how we like it and to learn more about it. But the sail plan on my little boston whaler is a main and a jib, like most beach cats, we have had many interesting experiences on it, got it up to 25 knts last summer, but the sleeping quarters are just not that nice on a tramp lol!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	21978  
sirlandsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 04:45   #2

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
if you want to have a similar speed/experience try a corsair/farrier.

Cheers,
Old 15-12-2010, 04:59   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Its just like moving up from a dinghy to a keel boat - in many respects the sailing part is easier. The only thing you will find intimidating is the incredible increase in size, particularly when it comes to docking. And of course, you will have to learn how to reef and remember that flying a hull in a cruising cat is a decidedly bad idea!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 07:34   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
There will be an increase in size as well as loads on the lines and rig. You will have to get used to using winches for almost all of the sail trimming, raising the main, etc.

You will be unlikely to find yourself sailing @ 25 knots on a 35' cruising cat
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 08:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Little cat to medium cat

Rather than set a particular length, do some more homework on what fits your circumstances:

Set a budget. An older cat will have greater financial obligations after the sale. A newer cat will cost more in a given size. Leave money for slip fees, insurance, taxes, fuel costs, and the inevitables: life jackets, curtains, electronics, and endless et ceterae.

Where can you keep it? The back yard is out. If there aren't any cat-sized slips near enough and cheap enough, consider the time wasted commuting. A mooring implies more complications, such as adding enough solar panels to keep an anchor light lit and the batteries charged with enough left over to keep the bilge pump running.

Buy a boat big enough to accommodate your permanent crew. The number of heads required can be determined by the formula (2F+M)/4 where F= the number of Females staying over night and M is the number of males old enough to stand upright at either transom.

Go smaller, go sooner; nobody buys their last boat first, unless its a terrible mistake.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 10:36   #6

Cat

Having just done this jump, I will share what we went through.

From a Nacra F18 to a lagoon 380 nearly the same size what's 20 Ft. We found out that the feel is identical and when over power you feel it like on the beach cat, when you are use to it (rigging tension, hull movement and wind noise). Of course the notion are more subdued and you don't lift a hull has quickly.

The wave and water have the same influence on the hull, except that you can take on larger of both. But the motion is identical. We were amazed on the first ride of the similarity.

The beach cat are a perfect school for the larger one of course docking navigation and system are not included in the previous narrative.

Good luck, Just do it.
SvLetitgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 14:55   #7

Boat: Seahawk 48
Great, good info....Sandy daughetry, very good points thankyou. Is there a ballpark figure on insurance or is it unpredictable? I think I woulf like a 40 ft, but like you say, after mooring and everyting else, maybe a 35' or so would be better. My crew is my family of ONLY GIRLS.....nuff said.

SVLetitgo, Very intersesting, I am glad to hear from you, identical situation! I think we will just have to wing it! LOL!
sirlandsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:04   #8

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlandsalot View Post
Great, good info....Sandy daughetry, very good points thankyou. Is there a ballpark figure on insurance or is it unpredictable? I think I woulf like a 40 ft, but like you say, after mooring and everyting else, maybe a 35' or so would be better. My crew is my family of ONLY GIRLS.....nuff said.

SVLetitgo, Very intersesting, I am glad to hear from you, identical situation! I think we will just have to wing it! LOL!
Insurance will have a lot of variability based on your experience, cruising location, deductible, lay-up period (if any) and the type of insurance being provided by the underwriter and more. It is best to contact someone like forum member TabbyCat, an agent who specializes in marine insurance for more detail on your specific circumstances.

But, I have to say that I was taught to sail by a "girl" (the aforementioned TabbyCat), so be careful what you say!
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote