Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 11:10   #16

Re: Small/Affordable Bluewater Capable Cats?

For all the bad mouthing, lots of gemini's have made ocean crossing and I've never heard of one breaking up. Yes, she pounds if you try to go upwind into a short steep chop but on other headings or if the waves get bigger the issue largely goes away. Most boats don't like to go upwind into a short steep chop and if you bear off a bit it gets a lot better.

She's not a gold plater but hard to beat on price and space (I'm 6'2" and have plenty of headroom). The issue of looking thru the cabin is actually a plus once you get used to it. The rear windows drop, so you are only looking thru one layer and it puts you in the shade and out of the weather while traveling. If you do want to be out in the wind, you can sit on the side and still reach the helm.

Not claiming she's the ultimate offshore battle wagon but none of the boats being discussed meet that definition. For a coconut run with intelligent handling, there is no reason to expect she can't do the job (obviously for any boat check her out and repair any issues before leaving)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:36   #17

Sailed and lived aboard a Gemini for 6 years. Great boat for what it is. Very comfortable. Love the master stateroom. Points and sails well, but gotta keep it light. You just have to keep in mind it was built to a price point. Personally, I think they ruined the Gemini with the new model. There are plenty of 105Mc's out there, though.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 23:13   #18
35S

I dont kow if 40ft is still small or your budget but the Maverick 400 seems be a nice option if you could find a good second hand one?

Maverick Yachts - Maverick 400
35S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water