Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2018, 19:06   #1

Slip Costs in South Florida?

Anyone have a ball park idea of what a slip for a 45-55 foot cat would cost in South Florida?
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 05:43   #2

Re: Slip Costs in South Florida?

Which South Florida? There is a HUGE difference in the costs between Southeast Florida and Southwest Florida. (Southeast being the more expensive.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 06:54   #3

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

I pay $1250 a month in Riviera Beach City Marina for a siding. Includes electricity, water, and pump out.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 08:31   #4

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

For a 50 foot Cat we were quoted: $1250 a month at one marina, and $1800 a month at another marina, both in St Petersburg, Fl. The municipal marina should be cheaper, but they declined to quote as they had no room, though their price structure was posted on line.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 12:14   #5

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

In several marinas and mooring fields around Miami you'll find no options for that size without a long wait. Damage from Irma has reduced some of the options. City moorings won't take a 45, C.Grove.S.C. won't do >46 and have a 2 year+ lwaiting.
I would love to hear more options around Miami since I'm shopping for a cat and would prefer 40-46 instead of the easier to find 38-40 slips.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 17:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Which South Florida? There is a HUGE difference in the costs between Southeast Florida and Southwest Florida. (Southeast being the more expensive.)
"South Florida" is the name most commonly associated with Southeast FL. i.e. Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, etc.
Old 23-08-2018, 17:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcftampa View Post
In several marinas and mooring fields around Miami you'll find no options for that size without a long wait. Damage from Irma has reduced some of the options. City moorings won't take a 45, C.Grove.S.C. won't do >46 and have a 2 year+ lwaiting.
I would love to hear more options around Miami since I'm shopping for a cat and would prefer 40-46 instead of the easier to find 38-40 slips.
I recently found this one... you might want to grab it...

Looks like it can handle up to 50ft in length and 30ft beam (plenty for a 40-46 cat). $1K/month. But no live aboard.

https://www.docksearch.com/listing.asp?lid=11416
Old 24-08-2018, 05:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
"South Florida" is the name most commonly associated with Southeast FL. i.e. Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, etc.
Gee. Here I've been living in Florida since 1982 and I never knew that. Everyone I talk to differentiates between Southeast Florida (sometimes referred to as the Dade/Broward area) and Southwest Florida. I guess I'll have to start educating them.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 17:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Gee. Here I've been living in Florida since 1982 and I never knew that. Everyone I talk to differentiates between Southeast Florida (sometimes referred to as the Dade/Broward area) and Southwest Florida. I guess I'll have to start educating them.
Yes, they're actually WRONG. I say that as a native Floridian.

There may be some people living in the Tampa area (I was born there) even Ft. Myers area on the west coast of Florida that refer to each lower side as "Southwest" or "Southeast" but "South Florida" has referred to the southern most populated region of Florida for over 50 years, and that region is the Greater Miami area which typically includes Ft. Lauderdale and also The Keys.

I'm not trying to be a wise ass, this is just a fact. Google "South Florida" and you'll see 99% of the references are to the Greater Miami area. Some even include up to Palm Beach, but usually it's within an hour of the Miami area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Florida
Old 25-08-2018, 18:14   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Slip Costs in South Florida?

Funny, us guys who live in North Fl, consider S Fl to be pretty much anything Orlando and below, W is pretty much unpopulated compared the the Eastern side, except for Tampa Bay Area.
People on the South East coast we think of as being from the North East and rude, where the West Coast people we think of as from being I guess what they call the Mid West and not as rude.

Either way, what we consider South Fl is orders of magnitude more expensive for the same labor, materials and work and especially housing and land as say the Panhandle area and maybe Jax area, I’m unsure.

However S Fl is a whole different world than North Fl, especially the Panhandle, although it’s changing too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 18:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Funny, us guys who live in North Fl, consider S Fl to be pretty much anything Orlando and below, W is pretty much unpopulated compared the the Eastern side, except for Tampa Bay Area.
People on the South East coast we think of as being from the North East and rude, where the West Coast people we think of as from being I guess what they call the Mid West and not as rude.

Either way, what we consider South Fl is orders of magnitude more expensive for the same labor, materials and work and especially housing and land as say the Panhandle area and maybe Jax area, I’m unsure.

However S Fl is a whole different world than North Fl, especially the Panhandle, although it’s changing too.
Orlando laterally and south of it for a couple of hours is mostly considered "Central Florida" now.

You're right, South Florida (at least the southern part on the east side) has a completely different CULTURE than N FL. The northern parts of the South Florida region (Palm Beach/Boca/etc.) do have a lot of people that are from the NE USA. But further south, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami is more international now. Lots of people from Cuba, Haiti, Brazil, Colombia, and even Russia in certain areas; along with quite a few Europeans. And it still also has a lot of native Floridians too.
Old 25-08-2018, 19:02   #12

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I grew up in Fla, first Jax and then St.Pete. South Florida has always been the Miami area and that was what we called it in the 60s. Craigslist has a South Florida section and you know where that is (hint: it starts with an M).
Old 25-08-2018, 19:06   #13

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

boatingnewbie has it 100% correct.

South Florida is at most... West Palm to the Keys. The area by Tampa is typically called the Tampa Bay area. St Pete is in the Tampa Bay area.

The little bits down the west coast are just refered to what they are. Fort Meyers, Sarasota, the Everglades. The West Coast of Florida or SW Florida.

Central Florida is to the east of the Tampa Bay area including Orlando and everything from Orlando to at least West Palm. Although they have the Treasure Coast, etc over there.

Jacksonville, St Augustine, Gainesville, Tallahassee The first coast.. all north Florida.

Then there is the panhandle.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 19:13   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I grew up in the Panhandle.
To those unfamiliar with it, it’s a whole lot more like Alabama than S Fl.
The whole Big Bend area, which is huge, is a no go area for sailboats in my opinion. 45 yrs ago I ran aground in a 23’ outboard Roballo, well out of sight of land. In I swear about 2’ of water, was out of VHF range too, had to wait on the tide, and there isn’t much tide either.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 12:49   #15

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

Back to the news,
Here in Miami, slips are around $20-40 per foot. Mostly $20-25 but hard to find. Any more data points?
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida