Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 06:48   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Slide Out Solar Panels

My vision of my solar panel array would look like this:

Over my davits, I would have, (what looks like), 4 solar panels. But, what I would actually have is 8 solar panels. 4 panels installed on top of the other 4, with slide outs allowing for expansion. So, when sailing, it would look like I have 4 panels, allowing for me to have a low profile... but, when at anchor, the top 4 panels would slide out (either split in the middle and slid to the side, or all sliding aft) and my solar array would now be 8 panels. I'm sure this is possible to do, however, does anyone know if there are panels that are already designed to do this that you could purchase, or would I have to build this system myself?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:45   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Slide Out Solar Panels

I believe the Xquisite 50 has slide out solar panels, though not on their davits. I'm guessing the cat would need sterns that were able to carry a big load as that would be quite heavy?
Edit: it's the Cape Royal 53 that has the slide out panels.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:13   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Slide Out Solar Panels

On an Oday 22 that weighs 2200 lbs? Or do you have a different boat than in your signature?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:23   #4

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I was thinking 2 stacks of 3 panels might work well in some situations - piano hinges so that when folded only 2 gets the the sun, opened all six get the sun.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 13:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
On an Oday 22 that weighs 2200 lbs? Or do you have a different boat than in your signature?
Oh my gosh! No! We are shopping for a 45' catamaran... I am confused though... I thought the weight of each solar panel was only about 20 pounds... but I see mention that this would be really heavy...
Old 11-12-2017, 14:08   #6

I've researched the matter for a while. There aren't many existing boats with sliding/retractable panels, one of them mentioned above. But it's the only way to go, so we'll see more of them in the future, may be you will be one of the pioneers?
Sliding/retractable panels will allow to have big solar array without increasing windage or permanently taking usable space on the boat. Slide them out on the anchor or even when motoring with no wind, and have electricity for everything on the boat. When wind increases - just slide them in / retract, and still have regular size solar array.
Well engineered retractable/sliding system and stainless hardware - a must.
Light semi-flexible solar panels on the strong but light fiberglass platform can be used to save weight.
Regular solar panel weight (including mounting hardware) - approximately 10-15 kg per square meter.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 14:43   #7

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Oh my gosh! No! We are shopping for a 45' catamaran... I am confused though... I thought the weight of each solar panel was only about 20 pounds... but I see mention that this would be really heavy...
It's not just the panel weight, but also the weight of the wiring, the supports, the arch, all the hardware and nut and bolt. Sure, on the grand scheme of things and on a boat with substantial displacement, it's a minimal trade-off. Certainly more bearing on a lighter boat.

On that note thought, you could save a good chunk of weight, and probably even space, if you were using flexible (thinner) panels on much slimmer mounts and drawers. Or at least the sliders, depending on how you do it.
Old 11-12-2017, 14:47   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Any machine shop can fab it up for you. Any marine place that does tuna towers and stainless pulpits can also do it.

But if you want to do it right, find a shop that doesn't get all bent out of shape when you ask them to do all the fabrication work (including replacing the frames on the solar panels) with titanium. Saves a lot of weight, adds strength.

There's no mass market for origami solar panel mounts, so you'll have to get custom fabrication.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 15:11   #9

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Our Freeflow 50 will have 3.2kW total array with 4x 320W permanently mounted on top of bimini, and 6x 320W on slide out platform that retracts under bimini roof.

After much research, Panels used are e-Arche semiflex. See www.solar4rvs.com.au

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 16:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Our Freeflow 50 will have 3.2kW total array with 4x 320W permanently mounted on top of bimini, and 6x 320W on slide out platform that retracts under bimini roof.
please post photos when you get it done. I love the idea of them sliding from under the bimini... plus, it would add extra length of shade to the bimini, I suppose. Brilliant idea.
Old 11-12-2017, 17:00   #11

It's worth noting that you can't just factor in the weight of the panels, wiring and infrastructure, but that they are a torque and not a sheer load which increases the weight penalty and need for over-engineering.

I am currently designing a retractable solar bimini for a raised helm cat (a la FP and Leopard) that pivots aft, but it is a much simpler operation since the solar is never obstructed and is just shifting aft of the helm/forward of the traveller when we don't want a bimini overhead on a particular day.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 17:07   #12

Boat: Tartan 37

The boat next to us in Vero Beach had a cool design that he built. Had two big panels, that he just flipped open or fold out aft. When folded up they cover each other, so they were off. Had a line just pulled it and they would close, in about 2 sec.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 17:38   #13

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Thalas,

Do you mean it pivots on a centerline pole and swings around 180 degrees?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:46   #14

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
The boat next to us in Vero Beach had a cool design that he built. Had two big panels, that he just flipped open or fold out aft. When folded up they cover each other, so they were off. Had a line just pulled it and they would close, in about 2 sec.
When was that? We're currently on a ball in Vero, off to the Bahamas ASAP post our concert on the 16th...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:37   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
My vision of my solar panel array would look like this:

Over my davits, I would have, (what looks like), 4 solar panels. But, what I would actually have is 8 solar panels. 4 panels installed on top of the other 4, with slide outs allowing for expansion. So, when sailing, it would look like I have 4 panels, allowing for me to have a low profile... but, when at anchor, the top 4 panels would slide out (either split in the middle and slid to the side, or all sliding aft) and my solar array would now be 8 panels. I'm sure this is possible to do, however, does anyone know if there are panels that are already designed to do this that you could purchase, or would I have to build this system myself?
Patten the idea. Quick!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels