Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 01:22   #1

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Skipper qualifications for self delivery

I've just read the whole 71 pages of the excellent but dated thread on importing a yacht into Australia.

Ref: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...a-3346-71.html

One aspect that wasn't touched on is the qualifications needed to be able to do a self delivery, either from the US or Europe. According to a friend with a lot of blue water miles under his belt, there was an IMO ruling a few years ago that country X can't place restrictions on a vessel registered in country Y as it leaves. So because this will be an Australian registered vessel, it's not allowable for any government to place restrictions on letting someone sail it out of the country.

While this is great in theory has anyone on the forum had trouble from officialdom in the real world doing a self delivery without an RYA certificate? I'm thinking specifically about UK to Australia here, since the post-Brexit pricing affords opportunities similar to those available in 2010 when the USD was down.

Note: Not really looking for warnings about the folly of doing this, or how hard it will be to get insurance. These are peripheral matters and come down to personal choice. But to allay your fears, I have done several thousand sea miles in yachts and appreciate that it's not all sunshine and dolphins.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 01:34   #2

Re: Skipper qualifications for self delivery

Further data: I'm looking at an older 36' catamaran. Plan is to coastal hop France, Spain, Portugal and Morocco to the Canaries, join the ARC Rally to the Carib, hang around there for a while then go through Panama and across the Pacific. And I'm in no hurry at all.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
Old 28-02-2017, 04:49   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Not a problem,

I'd guess that a large percentage (possibly a majority) of cruisers who sail their boats from one country to another don't have formal sailing qualifications.

(Maybe another poll is called for? )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 04:55   #4

Thanks StuM. The only country I've heard of where this can be a problem is Croatia but I won't be going anywhere near there. Still, it pays to know before you go.

Ref: http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Cr...-have-your-icc

I do have a Victorian boating and PWC licence to show them if it comes down to it, some states of Australia require a licence for yachts with engines so I had to get one. I'd like to complete at least a Yachtmaster Coastal and get an ICC before I go but may not have the time.

Old 28-02-2017, 05:10   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

i have never been asked to show a license, except when negotiating hull insurance for trans-atlantic.

That could chance of course as soon as there is an accident at sea, where a formal license may still not be required, but could give you some credit.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 05:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Skipper qualifications for self delivery

There is no country that will stop you from sailing your newly purchased boat to Australia but.. there are some who may prevent you continuing your voyage once you enter their waters and tie up alongside.. if a Harbourmaster decides to be awkward and to the book re his countries regulations for operating a boat you may be held up for quiet a while..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 05:39   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Further data: I'm looking at an older 36' catamaran. Plan is to coastal hop France, Spain, Portugal and Morocco to the Canaries, join the ARC Rally to the Carib, hang around there for a while then go through Panama and across the Pacific. And I'm in no hurry at all.
I'm looking for similar, thought trying to stay below 10.5m for marina fees. Slim pickings out there at the moment (unless you like catalacs &#128514. Good luck on the search.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 05:57   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Skipper qualifications for self delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I'm looking for similar, thought trying to stay below 10.5m for marina fees. Slim pickings out there at the moment (unless you like catalacs &#128514. Good luck on the search.
In Europe the fees go up 8m-10m, 10m-12m so you may as well throw in some boats up to 11.90m..
Also how cheap are you looking at.. also.. its Spring so prices have jumped..

Fountaine Pajot Antigua 37 for sale UK, Fountaine Pajot boats for sale, Fountaine Pajot used boat sales, Fountaine Pajot Sailing Yachts For Sale 1993 Fountaine Pajot Antigua 37 - Apollo Duck

Gemini 3200 for sale UK, Gemini boats for sale, Gemini used boat sales, Gemini Sailing Yachts For Sale 1992 Gemini 3200 - Apollo Duck

Catana 381 for sale UK, Catana boats for sale, Catana used boat sales, Catana Sailing Yachts For Sale 1997 Catana 381 Catamaran - Apollo Duck

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 07:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post

IMO ruling a few years ago that country X can't place restrictions on a vessel registered in country Y as it leaves. So because this will be an Australian registered vessel, it's not allowable for any government to place restrictions on letting someone sail it out of the country.

I do not know for other countries and sailing boats and their skippers but I know for a few ships that they are not allowed to leave US and UK on the ground of "seaworthiness" and crew certifications..
royalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:22   #10

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

All testing of mariners competences are done by N.E.P.T.U.N.E. Any student failing an exam will be summarily executed
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I'm looking for similar, thought trying to stay below 10.5m for marina fees. Slim pickings out there at the moment (unless you like catalacs ��). Good luck on the search.
Try finding a sub-$100k (GBP 62,000) cruising cat in Australia. Now them's slim pickings.

Good luck with your search as well.

Old 28-02-2017, 08:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalstar View Post
I do not know for other countries and sailing boats and their skippers but I know for a few ships that they are not allowed to leave US and UK on the ground of "seaworthiness" and crew certifications..
There was a case in New Zealand a few years ago where a visiting yacht was refused exit clearance several times on the grounds of seaworthiness. The yacht was untidy but essentially seaworthy. Officials playing the aesthetics police .... brrr.

http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/t...eave/?p=119189

The guy victimized was a bit of a non-conformist and was growing vegetables on the yacht amongst other things.

Old 28-02-2017, 08:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
All testing of mariners competences are done by N.E.P.T.U.N.E. Any student failing an exam will be summarily executed
As it should be. Death is nature's way of telling you that you've screwed up. We don' need no steenkin' regulations to tell us again.

Old 28-02-2017, 09:53   #14

Quote (of a quote): "The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea"

Hm... Sweat and tears, our Karen was familiar with. "The sea", not so much. Her meaning when she said "the sea" in this context, was "getting away" from (an oppressive) family.

Interestingly, Rungsted, some few miles north of Copenhagen where she spent her childhood, was then a small fishing village. It now has a very excellent yacht harbour.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 12:27   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalstar View Post
Commercial vessels and pleasure craft are two entirely different situations
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery, skipper