Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-05-2009, 11:23   #61
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 25ft Merlin catamaran, 34ft Romany catamaran
Of course not.

The point I was making is that a multihull capsizes either through bad weather or by crew error.

Whereas the two recent news reports show that a monohull can sink unexpectedly for no apparent reason at any time.

Best wishes

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com
Woods Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 17:16   #62

Boat: Manta 40
Wow, the video of the boat sinking was disturbing. I've watched plenty of maxi-cats pitch poling but there was something eerie about the monohulll going down. Can't imagine what something like that would be like in the open ocean. Reminds me of the description from the book "Adrift" (a good read), it's just so final...

Old 31-05-2009, 18:18   #63
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
There is always a reason for a vessel sinking, regardless of the configuration. The end result is you are not keeping enough of the water outside the vessel and you develop negative buoyancy.
Old 31-05-2009, 18:53   #64

Sadly, the only racing sailors I know who have died on the Great Lakes in the past 10 years were sailing multis. But, as Mr Woods so ardently espouses, it didn't sink.
Old 31-05-2009, 19:54   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Sadly, the only racing sailors I know who have died on the Great Lakes in the past 10 years were sailing multis. But, as Mr Woods so ardently espouses, it didn't sink.
I think Mr Woods is just seeking reassurance that his claims are correct in order to calm his fears, likely having in mind the at least one fellow multihull designer that has been lost at sea on a multihull - and neither he nor the boat has ever turned up. But no doubt both are still out there safely floating around patiently awaiting rescue . Of course Mr Woods might be finding things a bit slack at the moment and so just trying to drum up some business .

I also suspect some here have not fully thought through what happens when one opens the escape hatch - one seemingly having the view that its main purpose is much like a patio door for coming and going through rather than escape should the boat be inverted. Deck chairs too on the now exposed underside of the bridge deck I imagine but as I know of at least one multihull that capsized but then was flicked upright again by the same seas it might not be a good idea to get too comfy in them .
Old 31-05-2009, 20:45   #66
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 25ft Merlin catamaran, 34ft Romany catamaran
This seems to be getting a bit personal. Maybe time for a moderator????

Remember what happened to Angus Primrose and Paul Whiting, to name but two monohull designers.

Woods Designs Sailing Catamarans
Woods Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:29   #67

Quote:
Sadly, the only racing sailors I know who have died on the Great Lakes in the past 10 years were sailing multis.
Yeah, They probably broke their necks turning their heads around so fast while overtaking the monohulls.
Old 01-06-2009, 18:14   #68

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
After being solidly in the multi camp for many years, I have come back to being a little more accepting that the problems of both are real, but part of the risks we take at sea. I have had many years of experience of mono commercial fishing boats (two of them have sunk since I was on them) and the commercial multis are much more comfortable and I suspect seaworthy, but a well made yacht with incorporated buoyancy compartments seems to me to be a reasonable choice for blue water. For narrow waterways monos seem to be at an advantage, while in shallow , the multi wins out. If the boats are well made and the crew moderately competant, then I don't think there is too much of an issue. I think it is horses for courses. I have owned three multis and two monos if you count the dinghy size boats and had fun on all of them, and have cruised my small tri. My next boat will be a multi (Harryproa) if I live long enough to get it together.
Old 01-06-2009, 18:36   #69
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Designs View Post

The point I was making is that a multihull capsizes either through bad weather or by crew error.

Or from the effects of poor design, poor build quality, poor maintanence...............or wishful thinking. Much the same as for Monos.

But at the end of the day yer go to sea with your own choice - whether you believe that choice to be better or worse than someone elses choice is irrelevent should the sticky stuff hit the fan. Mono or Multi. and vice verce.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:03   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Designs View Post
Of course not.

Whereas the two recent news reports show that a monohull can sink unexpectedly for no apparent reason at any time.

Best wishes

Richard, for a thinking man the point you are making seems quite bizarre. Most vessels sink for a reason.

So lets pull the plug on inquests. All we need to do is consult news reports for the facts?

Bored, are we? Lets start another divisive thread.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:48   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Quote:
Sadly, the only racing sailors I know who have died on the Great Lakes in the past 10 years were sailing multis.
But, as Mr Woods so ardently espouses, it didn't sink.
I know 6 on monos who died in australia in the one race. To be fair not all the boats sank.
Old 02-06-2009, 17:28   #72

Quote:
If it's the case I'm thinking of -- they forgot to think. They were running in a race with a spinnaker up when a severe line-squall hit. They capsized and paid the price of imprudence/stupidity with a life. This is MOST unfortunate and although my statement is harsh my sympathy goes out to the survivors most sincerely.

Hopefully others reading this will heed the "multihull mantra": "Reef early, reef for the gusts".

That means when you see the low dark wall of clouds approaching, get all sails down at least until you know what strength winds you're dealing with.... and fuggetabout the race.
Old 02-06-2009, 18:33   #73
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

"Reef early, reef for the gusts"

That means when you see the low dark wall of clouds approaching, get all sails down at least until you know what strength winds you're dealing with.... and fuggetabout the race.
That's the golden rule. I practice it every time I'm out. It's solid advice. Sailing a cat is not always the same as sailing a mono. Once a new Cat owner understands the differences and memorizes the golden rule, he/she does just fine.

They ignore it at their own peril.
Old 02-06-2009, 19:17   #74

Ok, honest question, not a **** fight.

On a passage, when short handed, the boat is on auto and you are not really paying attention, maybe you nodded off, maybe your below looking at a chart, maybe whatever? Paradox comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
If it's the case I'm thinking of -- they forgot to think. They were running in a race with a spinnaker up when a severe line-squall hit. They capsized and paid the price of imprudence/stupidity with a life. This is MOST unfortunate and although my statement is harsh my sympathy goes out to the survivors most sincerely.

Hopefully others reading this will heed the "multihull mantra": "Reef early, reef for the gusts".

Old 02-06-2009, 20:43   #75

Quote:
Ok, honest question, not a **** fight.

On a passage, when short handed, the boat is on auto and you are not really paying attention, maybe you nodded off, maybe your below looking at a chart, maybe whatever? Paradox comes to mind.
Maybe there's no moon or you are already deeply reefed, or running under bare poles or have been hanging off a chute for 10 days and its chaffed to shreds.

Did Rob James fall off a fully crewed multi and drown?.

So Sailfasttri they were stupid because? a/They hoisted sail or B/ chose a non self righting boat?

So whats your point Woody.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: