Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 10:22   #31
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK and BC, Canada when not sailing
Boat: 25ft Merlin catamaran, 34ft Romany catamaran
Posts: 116
I am still trying to get my head round the giraffe kicking concept. The only relevant connection to this discussion that I can see is that I assume a giraffe cannot swim, but will sink. Presumably because of its size it doesn’t need to know how to swim???


Richard Woods of Woods Designs (who HAS been struck by lightning)



Woods Designs Sailing Catamarans
Woods Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:52   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK and BC, Canada when not sailing
Boat: 25ft Merlin catamaran, 34ft Romany catamaran
Posts: 116
I don’t think the amateur/professional comment is relevant. Nor is the number of posts someone might make (except for the fact that probably the more they post the less sailing that person does). Instead what is relevant to a Cruisers forum is the posters sailing experience.

It appears that some don’t admit publicly to even owning a boat. That cannot do much for their credibility. So to set the record straight, here is a brief précis of my experiences over the last fifty years.

Monohulls sailed range from 18ft to 70ft, number of “ocean” passages, ie sails over 1000miles non stop – four. So I agree, not many. But I have also sailed a monohull from Alaska south to Oregon and from California to Cabo San Lucas and half way across the Mediterranean.

Multihulls sailed range from 22ft to 63ft, number of “ocean” passages, ie sails over 1000miles non stop – nine. However that’s excluding a complete circumnavigation of the Caribbean Sea and sailing single handed from the UK to the USSR.

Only one of those ocean passages was in a catamaran I designed.

How about you??

And no, I haven’t ever capsized a catamaran, nor sunk a monohull. But I have had a forestay break when over a thousand miles from land, put out a major fire, failed to stop a major leak (all in monohulls) and been struck by lightning.

I have also had a man overboard experience.

Years ago three of us were sailing our small monohull. My seven year old brother fell overboard. My father, naturally enough, jumped in to save him. That left me, at ten years old, having to turn the boat round and pick them both up. Good thing it was light winds and flat seas.

I’m not sure my mother was ever told of the incident. But it did make me realize how easy it is to fall overboard.


Richard Woods of Woods Designs


Woods Designs Sailing Catamarans
Woods Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 21:09   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colombo
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Designs View Post
It appears that some don’t admit publicly to even owning a boat. That cannot do much for their credibility. So to set the record straight, here is a brief précis of my experiences over the last fifty years...
Well you've got me beat there for sure. I once went for a 10 minute ride on a ferry on Auckland Harbour when it was so rough I wasn't the only one seasick. And the closest to drowning I've come is slipping over in the bath - I am sure I would have drowned if I had of hit my head harder.

So, as you say number of posts is no indication of experience but surely lack of experience does leave more room for dreaming ? As for posters like myself not admitting publicly to owning a boat, well not doing so really lets the cat out of the bag doesn't it?
__________________
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 21:23   #34
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Designs View Post
I don’t think the amateur/professional comment is relevant. Nor is the number of posts someone might make (except for the fact that probably the more they post the less sailing that person does). Instead what is relevant to a Cruisers forum is the posters sailing experience.

It appears that some don’t admit publicly to even owning a boat. That cannot do much for their credibility. So to set the record straight, here is a brief précis of my experiences over the last fifty years.
Well what is relevant to a Cruisers Forum are the questions and the exploration of thoughts and opinions. We have tons of threads on mono vs. multi, anchor threads, ketch/sloop/yawl rigs, watermaker A Vs. Watermaker B.

If there was a definitive answer on anchoring in any of those threads we could turn this place into a library and not allow any more anchoring threads - but that's not what we do here. We love to hash things over and over.

Richard - your experience and sailing resume is awesome. You have experience many of us will never achieve. Just don't lose sight of the fact that armchair sailing may be all many can ever do. That doesn't make anyone's participation less valid.

It is often the question not asked and the avenue not explored that inhibits new discovery.

Just remember, "The world is flat and always has been."
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 12:27   #35
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,586
Images: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsDesigns
... Only one of those ocean passages was in a catamaran I designed ...
Which doesn’t seem to display much confidence, or desire to sail, in your own designs.
Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

In my view, something is either a false dichotomy* or it isn't; and I have it on good authority that an appeal to authority is probably suspect.

* The false dilemma (or false dichotomy) is a fallacy of reasoning that omits consideration of all reasonable alternatives. Sometimes called the either-or fallacy, one poses what looks like a true dilemma (I must pick one or the other) when, in fact, there are other viable alternatives. (There can be false trilemmas, etc.)
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 18:13   #36
CF Adviser
 
TabbyCat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: cruising in the Pacific
Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Posts: 334
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
We chartered in the BVIs 18 years ago on a monohull. We are now in the Caribbean on our own catamaran, and have been amazed at the increase in the number of catamarans. Even so, every time we have counted, the number of monohulls in any anchorage has (so far) always exceeded the number of cats. Once you're out here, you learn to accept other's choices and be friends, regardless of whether they are Cat, Mono, Trawler, fiberglass, wood or steel people.
__________________
Susan
IMIS - Int'l Marine Ins Svcs
http://www.MarineInsurance.CC
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 18:19   #37
Senior Cruiser
 
nautical62's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Live Iowa - Sail mostly Bahamas
Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Posts: 2,264
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
... Once you're out here, you learn to accept other's choices and be friends, regardless of whether they are Cat, Mono, Trawler, fiberglass, wood or steel people.
And that's what it's really about isn't it? Being out there enjoying your cruise in what ever boat works for you.
__________________
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 20:27   #38
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK and BC, Canada when not sailing
Boat: 25ft Merlin catamaran, 34ft Romany catamaran
Posts: 116
I find I make more posts when I am ashore (like right now) than when off cruising. Obvious really, so I assume others find it the same.

The problem with forums (not just this one) is that those new to the subject often judge the credibility of a poster by the number of posts they make, not their quality (because they cannot yet tell the difference between a good reply and a poor one). That's the reason why there is a biography heading for each poster. And why its important to add all you can to it.

Just my opinion of course.

I know some people think that because I am a catamaran designer I only sail multihulls. So I just wanted to set the record straight. In fact I like sailing far more than designing and will sail anything that sails "well".

As a designer I also think it important to sail on as many different boats as possible. After all, you'd think it strange if a Ford car designer refused to drive anything except a Ford, while I image house architects visit buildings they didn't design. Yet it seems there are a large number of yacht designers who either hardly sail at all, or only sail boats they designed.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

Woods Designs Sailing Catamarans
Woods Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 22:01   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The boat lives at Fidalgo Island, PNW
Boat: 36' custom steel
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Designs View Post
while over 30 people drown each year in their cars in the UK.
In your first post you were doing pretty good in my book until you threw away your credibility with stuff about car drownings in the UK. I'm sorry but I can believe that about the English.

Just don't

__________________
John, sailing a custom 36' double-headed steel sloop--a 2001 derivation of a 1976 Ted Brewer design.
Hiracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 05:35   #40
Senior Cruiser
 
Talbot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brighton, UK
Boat: Privilege 37
Posts: 3,579
Images: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
In your first post you were doing pretty good in my book until you threw away your credibility with stuff about car drownings in the UK. I'm sorry but I can believe that
2005 UK Statistics
__________________
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 10:44   #41
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
In your first post you were doing pretty good in my book until you threw away your credibility with stuff about car drownings....

Well, what can one say? Nicely done Talbot
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 11:19   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The boat lives at Fidalgo Island, PNW
Boat: 36' custom steel
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
You have made the mistake in believing that statistical facts would change my opinion.

Seriously, what is that all about, 30 people drowning while driving? I don't get it. This is not something we see locally, so I"m a bit dazed and confused.
__________________
John, sailing a custom 36' double-headed steel sloop--a 2001 derivation of a 1976 Ted Brewer design.
Hiracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 11:41   #43
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
You have made the mistake in believing that statistical facts would change my opinion.
How about American statistics?

"estimated 300 to 500 just like them who die every year in vehicle submersion accidents"

Found here:

Auto Safety: Preventing Submersion Deaths | Safety Issues Blogs

I believe Richard was illustrating how safe sailing really is ... regardless of doing it on one hull or two.

I find your statement disturbing. What type of person disregards facts when forming an opinion?
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 13:09   #44
Senior Cruiser
 
Talbot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brighton, UK
Boat: Privilege 37
Posts: 3,579
Images: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
30 people drowning while driving? I don't get it. This is not something we see locally, so I"m a bit dazed and confused.
And I thought Chappaquiddick was in the States
__________________
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 13:19   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The boat lives at Fidalgo Island, PNW
Boat: 36' custom steel
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
How about American statistics?

"estimated 300 to 500 just like them who die every year in vehicle submersion accidents"

Found here:

Auto Safety: Preventing Submersion Deaths | Safety Issues Blogs
Americans do it too?

So what! I still have no personal experience in this, first hand, second or third hand, so I don't understand what's happening. How come I'm missing all the fun? Drowning in a car. Who would have thought? All these Kennedy wannabes.

Must be an East Coast thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I find your statement disturbing. What type of person disregards facts when forming an opinion?
The type of person is somebody who might be pulling your leg. Yes, a very disturbed individual.
__________________

__________________
John, sailing a custom 36' double-headed steel sloop--a 2001 derivation of a 1976 Ted Brewer design.
Hiracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
swim grid michaelmrc Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 10-10-2008 15:28
Swim Platforms drh1965 Monohull Sailboats 7 04-09-2007 11:02
Sink drains drh1965 Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 3 27-08-2007 09:03
Swim Steps? jemsea General Sailing Forum 4 12-04-2005 08:18



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.