Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-05-2009, 10:22   #31
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 25ft Merlin catamaran, 34ft Romany catamaran
I am still trying to get my head round the giraffe kicking concept. The only relevant connection to this discussion that I can see is that I assume a giraffe cannot swim, but will sink. Presumably because of its size it doesn’t need to know how to swim???

Richard Woods of Woods Designs (who HAS been struck by lightning)

Woods Designs Sailing Catamarans
Woods Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:52   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don’t think the amateur/professional comment is relevant. Nor is the number of posts someone might make (except for the fact that probably the more they post the less sailing that person does). Instead what is relevant to a Cruisers forum is the posters sailing experience.

It appears that some don’t admit publicly to even owning a boat. That cannot do much for their credibility. So to set the record straight, here is a brief précis of my experiences over the last fifty years.

Monohulls sailed range from 18ft to 70ft, number of “ocean” passages, ie sails over 1000miles non stop – four. So I agree, not many. But I have also sailed a monohull from Alaska south to Oregon and from California to Cabo San Lucas and half way across the Mediterranean.

Multihulls sailed range from 22ft to 63ft, number of “ocean” passages, ie sails over 1000miles non stop – nine. However that’s excluding a complete circumnavigation of the Caribbean Sea and sailing single handed from the UK to the USSR.

Only one of those ocean passages was in a catamaran I designed.

How about you??

And no, I haven’t ever capsized a catamaran, nor sunk a monohull. But I have had a forestay break when over a thousand miles from land, put out a major fire, failed to stop a major leak (all in monohulls) and been struck by lightning.

I have also had a man overboard experience.

Years ago three of us were sailing our small monohull. My seven year old brother fell overboard. My father, naturally enough, jumped in to save him. That left me, at ten years old, having to turn the boat round and pick them both up. Good thing it was light winds and flat seas.

I’m not sure my mother was ever told of the incident. But it did make me realize how easy it is to fall overboard.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

Old 11-05-2009, 21:09   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Designs View Post
It appears that some don’t admit publicly to even owning a boat. That cannot do much for their credibility. So to set the record straight, here is a brief précis of my experiences over the last fifty years...
Well you've got me beat there for sure. I once went for a 10 minute ride on a ferry on Auckland Harbour when it was so rough I wasn't the only one seasick. And the closest to drowning I've come is slipping over in the bath - I am sure I would have drowned if I had of hit my head harder.

So, as you say number of posts is no indication of experience but surely lack of experience does leave more room for dreaming ? As for posters like myself not admitting publicly to owning a boat, well not doing so really lets the cat out of the bag doesn't it?
Old 11-05-2009, 21:23   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
I don’t think the amateur/professional comment is relevant. Nor is the number of posts someone might make (except for the fact that probably the more they post the less sailing that person does). Instead what is relevant to a Cruisers forum is the posters sailing experience.

It appears that some don’t admit publicly to even owning a boat. That cannot do much for their credibility. So to set the record straight, here is a brief précis of my experiences over the last fifty years.
Well what is relevant to a Cruisers Forum are the questions and the exploration of thoughts and opinions. We have tons of threads on mono vs. multi, anchor threads, ketch/sloop/yawl rigs, watermaker A Vs. Watermaker B.

If there was a definitive answer on anchoring in any of those threads we could turn this place into a library and not allow any more anchoring threads - but that's not what we do here. We love to hash things over and over.

Richard - your experience and sailing resume is awesome. You have experience many of us will never achieve. Just don't lose sight of the fact that armchair sailing may be all many can ever do. That doesn't make anyone's participation less valid.

It is often the question not asked and the avenue not explored that inhibits new discovery.

Just remember, "The world is flat and always has been."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 12:27   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsDesigns
... Only one of those ocean passages was in a catamaran I designed ...
Which doesn’t seem to display much confidence, or desire to sail, in your own designs.
Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

In my view, something is either a false dichotomy* or it isn't; and I have it on good authority that an appeal to authority is probably suspect.

* The false dilemma (or false dichotomy) is a fallacy of reasoning that omits consideration of all reasonable alternatives. Sometimes called the either-or fallacy, one poses what looks like a true dilemma (I must pick one or the other) when, in fact, there are other viable alternatives. (There can be false trilemmas, etc.)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 18:13   #36
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
We chartered in the BVIs 18 years ago on a monohull. We are now in the Caribbean on our own catamaran, and have been amazed at the increase in the number of catamarans. Even so, every time we have counted, the number of monohulls in any anchorage has (so far) always exceeded the number of cats. Once you're out here, you learn to accept other's choices and be friends, regardless of whether they are Cat, Mono, Trawler, fiberglass, wood or steel people.
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 18:19   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
... Once you're out here, you learn to accept other's choices and be friends, regardless of whether they are Cat, Mono, Trawler, fiberglass, wood or steel people.
And that's what it's really about isn't it? Being out there enjoying your cruise in what ever boat works for you.
Old 14-05-2009, 20:27   #38
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I find I make more posts when I am ashore (like right now) than when off cruising. Obvious really, so I assume others find it the same.

The problem with forums (not just this one) is that those new to the subject often judge the credibility of a poster by the number of posts they make, not their quality (because they cannot yet tell the difference between a good reply and a poor one). That's the reason why there is a biography heading for each poster. And why its important to add all you can to it.

Just my opinion of course.

I know some people think that because I am a catamaran designer I only sail multihulls. So I just wanted to set the record straight. In fact I like sailing far more than designing and will sail anything that sails "well".

As a designer I also think it important to sail on as many different boats as possible. After all, you'd think it strange if a Ford car designer refused to drive anything except a Ford, while I image house architects visit buildings they didn't design. Yet it seems there are a large number of yacht designers who either hardly sail at all, or only sail boats they designed.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

Old 14-05-2009, 22:01   #39

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
while over 30 people drown each year in their cars in the UK.
In your first post you were doing pretty good in my book until you threw away your credibility with stuff about car drownings in the UK. I'm sorry but I can believe that about the English.

Just don't

Old 15-05-2009, 05:35   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
In your first post you were doing pretty good in my book until you threw away your credibility with stuff about car drownings in the UK. I'm sorry but I can believe that
2005 UK Statistics
Old 15-05-2009, 10:44   #41
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
In your first post you were doing pretty good in my book until you threw away your credibility with stuff about car drownings....

Well, what can one say? Nicely done Talbot
Old 15-05-2009, 11:19   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
You have made the mistake in believing that statistical facts would change my opinion.

Seriously, what is that all about, 30 people drowning while driving? I don't get it. This is not something we see locally, so I"m a bit dazed and confused.
Old 15-05-2009, 11:41   #43
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
You have made the mistake in believing that statistical facts would change my opinion.
How about American statistics?

"estimated 300 to 500 just like them who die every year in vehicle submersion accidents"

Found here:

Auto Safety: Preventing Submersion Deaths | Safety Issues Blogs

I believe Richard was illustrating how safe sailing really is ... regardless of doing it on one hull or two.

I find your statement disturbing. What type of person disregards facts when forming an opinion?
Old 15-05-2009, 13:09   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
30 people drowning while driving? I don't get it. This is not something we see locally, so I"m a bit dazed and confused.
And I thought Chappaquiddick was in the States
Old 15-05-2009, 13:19   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
How about American statistics?

"estimated 300 to 500 just like them who die every year in vehicle submersion accidents"

Found here:

Auto Safety: Preventing Submersion Deaths | Safety Issues Blogs
Americans do it too?

So what! I still have no personal experience in this, first hand, second or third hand, so I don't understand what's happening. How come I'm missing all the fun? Drowning in a car. Who would have thought? All these Kennedy wannabes.

Must be an East Coast thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I find your statement disturbing. What type of person disregards facts when forming an opinion?
The type of person is somebody who might be pulling your leg. Yes, a very disturbed individual.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: