Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 06:00   #16

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: Single Outboard

I for one would sure love to see photos of your settup bax.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 06:49   #17

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Hi Johnathan
I've just read thro all the tips on here and all seem to agree. Which is pretty unusual!!!!!!
Twin engine has many advantages, you will need at least 15hp total for serious motoring, I'd guess two 5hp would give you five knots in still air + water which is enough, but not a lot. Consider too that motor sailing will be nearer the hull speed of c7knots so self pitching props might be a good idea, or SIZE the PROPS at a low revs figure, maybe 2000 rpm, so you have the reserve speed.
Where to put two engines is an issue too, under the hull soles leaves them in a wet area, difficult to cool and liable to flooding if the hulls are unlucky. Either side of the cockpit, above nominal water level is much simpler, all fumes, smell, heat easily vented, but the additional cost of drive legs. Across the stern, back ends facing each other, and with a twist in the drive leg might be worth a look see. You builder will have ideas too.
Do make each engine completely independent. If one stops then you really really need the other one to keep on doing it's bit.
Did a delivery trip with Boatman61 last year on a motorsailing cat. Those engine were shafts to props which sat them under the cockpit lockers. Oil changes needed universally jointed elbows!!! Fixing drive belts at sea shoulder deep in a locker doesn't bear thinking about.
As ever, getting your boat right is a very personal thing. Hope all the comments on here have helped you get nearer to something you'll love, and never hate for being an awkward or obstinate lump when you approach the pontoon for the first time.
Old 27-09-2011, 06:49   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Twin Outboard Power

Might be interesting to post them here, or on another related subject thread and linked to here.
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 06:49   #19

Boat: Traditional 30

I have been thinking about a cat also with a similar problem. One simple solution , around marinas, would be to put a cabable crew member into the inflatable and use it like little tug boat. Of course, the inflatable will need a decent motor.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 06:55   #20

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Ozskipper, I'd thought of that too, but not with the crew man I had!!!!
We were considering an electric trolling motor on the bow so he could control heading from there, and distance off the pontoon as we got closer.
Old 27-09-2011, 16:13   #21

Boat: Custom

Thanks Everyone. Really great ideas from everyone

I now have two options, very similar in most respects but one has a dual engine.

Bax. If you had a chance I would love the photos

thanks again

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 14:17   #22

Are you going to be using marinas a lot? I know a couple of full-time liveaboard cruisers who have single outboards. 99% of the time it's not an issue.

Only visiting marinas, and even then only on windy days do they worry. So they either inform the marina that they have limited maneouverability and ask for an easy berth, or they wait till it's not so windy.

One of them circumnavigated with a single outboard.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 15:47   #23
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Anyone who proposes using a cruising catamaran with a single engine, better rent one and play with it a while before locking your decision in. Then come back to this thread and post your experience.

I feel strongly that those with experience wouldn't consider going with a one engine design or call it a good solution. Even those boats tying rudders and engine together do not maneuver like a twin engine boat, especially in a cross wind.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 18:08   #24
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We have owned 2 cats with single outboards attached to the rudders, one with a single diesel and sonic leg, one with twin outboards and 2 with twin diesels. There's no doubt you get great maneuverability with twin motors and an extra engine in case one dies which is great. It takes awhile to get used to a single steerable outboard but once you do they can be extremely maneuverable. Being able to direct the thrust Is a beautiful thing. All in all I wouldn't discount a cat with a single steerable motor.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 19:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Anyone who proposes using a cruising catamaran with a single engine, better rent one and play with it a while before locking your decision in. Then come back to this thread and post your experience.

I feel strongly that those with experience wouldn't consider going with a one engine design or call it a good solution. Even those boats tying rudders and engine together do not maneuver like a twin engine boat, especially in a cross wind.
So you'd say the people who have circumnavigated, have been cruising for years, and are still cruising - with a single outboard motor, are lacking in experience?
Old 29-09-2011, 19:15   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So you'd say the people who have circumnavigated, have been cruising for years, and are still cruising - with a single outboard motor, are lacking in experience?
Is that what I said? Interesting. It's certainly not what I wrote.
Old 30-09-2011, 01:34   #27
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

We have a single non stearable outboard and solved the problem of manoeuvring in our marina by fitting a bow thruster. It works very well and is all controled from the cockpit.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 01:49   #28

Boat: Privilege 37

Having spent over 20 years with a catamaran with a single (steerable) outboard, my comments are>

If you cant steer it, and dont have a thruster, forget it

if it is steerable, in light winds it is as manoeuvrable as twin engine cats

In strong winds, they can be a pain.

The biggest problem was never the manoeuvrability, but the lack of electrical power. If it has no alternative power source (wind.solar) then you have a problem.

Best thing about them>

being able to lift the prop out of the water when sailing (especially good if something gets caught round the prop)
Being able to remove engine and take it home to the garage to work on in the winter if it needs a major overhaul.
Old 30-09-2011, 01:51   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Is that what I said? Interesting. It's certainly not what I wrote.
You wrote:"....those with experience wouldn't consider going with a one engine design "

So... people who have circumnavigated with one engine, and STLL choose to cruise on that same boat with the same single outboard..... are they experienced or not?
Old 30-09-2011, 08:52   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
You wrote:"....those with experience wouldn't consider going with a one engine design "

So... people who have circumnavigated with one engine, and STLL choose to cruise on that same boat with the same single outboard..... are they experienced or not?
Well, let's see.. The original poster told us he would be in an out of marinas for the next few years. He asked for an opinion of a single engine in that context. Under no circumstances would I consider a single engine to be 'better'. That was my response to him.

Now as to your question, l'm confused, so allow me to ask one. In what context would anyone consider a single engine preferable to twin diesels in a cruising environment? I ask this with regard to maneuverability (especially with high winds on the beam when docking)of course, yet also:

charging house banks;
the safety of having a 2nd engine
comfort,
redundancy,
reliability,
speed,
battery charging capacity,
and I have to mention cruising range, and..
engine life

which are all greatly increased with twin diesels. I have met many cruisers through my web site. Some did start with a boat with one engine strictly because of boat costs... yet they quickly found a boat with 2.

Tags
outboard