Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 19:26   #31

Boat: Seawind - 1160
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1422501748.194065.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	96200

Here is a picture of the single line bridle I just made for Double-Wide. I sewed on leather chafing gear where the bridle comes in contact with the bow-sprit stays when anchored in adverse current.

I used 1/8 " nylon for the center eye seizing and for the chafe protection on the eyes that shackle into the forward beam.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 03:04   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Wide View Post
Attachment 96200

Here is a picture of the single line bridle I just made for Double-Wide. I sewed on leather chafing gear where the bridle comes in contact with the bow-sprit stays when anchored in adverse current.

I used 1/8 " nylon for the center eye seizing and for the chafe protection on the eyes that shackle into the forward beam.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Nice looking work!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 05:21   #33
Marine Service Provider

We have a Prout Manta 38 so it has a solid fiberglass front deck. So we can anchor like a catamaran off each bow or like a mono hull. Having been caught in a few strong squalls on the Chesapeake Bay, we started to understand that may knots we difficult to get off in a hurry and some of the great metal attachments were too expensive to through overboard.

Evan Starzinger has a great and convincing argument for using soft shackles for attaching the snubber to the anchor chain. We'd been using on for a season now and very happy. Cool thing is they are cheap (if you make them yourself) so there is not reluctance to throwing it away if you really need to get the anchor out a bit more.

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/snubber.pdf

Mark Brownhill
sevenseasu.com
SevenSeasU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 00:40   #34

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
KatieKat 2003 Cruise Chapter Eleven

Explanation of wooden bridle device.
Sorry I didn't find it.
I'm trying to find a proper bridge attachment when I come to the line part of the anchor line-chain.
When I'm on the chain part I will use the Mantus Hook, but the problem occurs when reaching the line. The wooden device looks very nice, but I would like a closer explanation of it.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:44   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly View Post
Sorry I didn't find it.
I'm trying to find a proper bridge attachment when I come to the line part of the anchor line-chain.
When I'm on the chain part I will use the Mantus Hook, but the problem occurs when reaching the line. The wooden device looks very nice, but I would like a closer explanation of it.
Rolling hitch is a good option too.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:54   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSeasU View Post
We have a Prout Manta 38 so it has a solid fiberglass front deck. So we can anchor like a catamaran off each bow or like a mono hull. Having been caught in a few strong squalls on the Chesapeake Bay, we started to understand that may knots we difficult to get off in a hurry and some of the great metal attachments were too expensive to through overboard.

Evan Starzinger has a great and convincing argument for using soft shackles for attaching the snubber to the anchor chain. We'd been using on for a season now and very happy. Cool thing is they are cheap (if you make them yourself) so there is not reluctance to throwing it away if you really need to get the anchor out a bit more.

Mark Brownhill
sevenseasu.com
I like the idea of a soft shacle/prusiks hitch attachment and will probably experiment with those soon.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:39   #37

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly

I also wonder about the best way of attaching the bridle to the anchor line, when I have passed the first 10ft of chain, and only have a 3/4" line?
What knot or what equipment is suitable?
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39   #38

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

I'll second the recommendation for a soft shackle. We've been using one for the last 12 months of full time cruising/anchoring and it is much better than either of the two different chain hook arrangements we had previously tried. Easy to attach and detach, secure in light and heavy conditions, and inexpensive.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:27   #39

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

When we had a mixed rode, to connect the bridle to the rope, I would take a shackle and put a loop of the anchor line through it at the point I wanted the bridle attached. Then connect the bridle shackle to that loop of line. When the rode pulls tight on the bridle at this connection, it is locked like a seatbelt buckle. To undo it, just pull it up, loosen it like a seatbelt buckle and undo the shackles.

More difficult to explain than to do.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:57   #40

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly View Post
I also wonder about the best way of attaching the bridle to the anchor line, when I have passed the first 10ft of chain, and only have a 3/4" line?

What knot or what equipment is suitable?

Try a rolling hitch.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:40   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSeasU View Post

Mark Brownhill
sevenseasu.com
I have no experience with dyneema so I have to ask, in the linked pdf, is that really how you would make off to a cleat 'normally'?

Also not be pedantic,.. Aw, who am I kidding? I love to be pedantic!.. that is not a tugboat/lighterman's hitch in the last photo. It looks to be a variation of mooring hitch. The standing part appears to be led differently from the previous photo, the working part is finished slippery, and my brain hurts from trying to figure it out.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 17:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
I have no experience with dyneema so I have to ask, in the linked pdf, is that really how you would make off to a cleat 'normally'?

Also not be pedantic,.. Aw, who am I kidding? I love to be pedantic!.. that is not a tugboat/lighterman's hitch in the last photo. It looks to be a variation of mooring hitch. The standing part appears to be led differently from the previous photo, the working part is finished slippery, and my brain hurts from trying to figure it out.
Well...one of my pet peeves is the "normal" (as depicted) "mongolian random wad hitch" you see on cleats around marinas. Holds, but can jam due to overidding hitches, can't be adjusted under load, and slow to sort out if you need to release it quickly. A standard cleat hitch avoids all those issues.

The tug boat hitch is hard to sort out in the image, but is a handy hitch to know...esp if aboard a vessel w/out self-tailing winches or in the case of a failed tailing mechanish...or if you find yourself working on a tug boat with bollards. ;-)

I expect you can find both the proper cleat hitch and tug boat hitch on Grog's excellent Animated Knots site.
Old 12-02-2015, 18:49   #43
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I wouldn't think that typical siezing, like marlin,.would be strong enough (at least it would keep me awake at night), but if you siezed with something like spectra then I expect bridle line strength should still be near 100% (no knots, no splices).

The pursik hitch approach should also have little or no effect on line strength.

I siezed the thimble into my Alpine Butterfly set up, but the siezing is not load bearing, just there to keep the thimble from shifting.
I've done a bunch of testing for PS, including pulling seizings to failure. Because of the way nylon get skinny under load, it is impossible to make a seizing hold past about 30% of breaking strength. It just gets all loose as the line stretches (30% stretch = 30% less cross section).

Sorry, won't work. A figure-8 is about 80% strength in this application, and splicing an eye with a side-splice (Y) is 100%. Tested that too.

The prusick is going to slide far below line strength (20-30%), unless it is on chain. But the chain would need to be in a substantial stopper or belayed to something large.
Old 12-02-2015, 20:05   #44

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
Dyneema is very slippery, so just a couple of "wraps" as you might use on a cleat with a dock line will not hold. It is not really designed to be cleated without a cover. Most knots will also slip in uncovered dyneema. It is however very easy to splice.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 05:46   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I've done a bunch of testing for PS, including pulling seizings to failure. Because of the way nylon get skinny under load, it is impossible to make a seizing hold past about 30% of breaking strength. It just gets all loose as the line stretches (30% stretch = 30% less cross section).

Sorry, won't work. A figure-8 is about 80% strength in this application, and splicing an eye with a side-splice (Y) is 100%. Tested that too.

The prusick is going to slide far below line strength (20-30%), unless it is on chain. But the chain would need to be in a substantial stopper or belayed to something large.
Great! Actual data. Thanks for posting.

Can you post a link on making a side-spliced Y?

I'm puzzled why a prusick (sp?) hitch would lose so much strength if used to connect bridle to chain. For example, I'm thinking of prusick hitch to the mid section of 3/4 three strand nylon, tail of line for prusick hitch them somehow attached to chain. I don't like the idea of directly connecting it due to chafe, but several examples of that posted here. I would prefer splicing in a thimble and attaching via a shackle or similar....or at least a section of heavy cover for chafe protection inside a soft shackle loop.

Under this configuaration, I would expect the 3 strand to retain 100% strength because it has no knots or splices. The prusick hitch would adjust to diameter loss in the 3 strand due to stretch (could cycling at attachment point of prusicks hitch damage the 3 strand?). The line used for prusicks hitch would lose some strength due to hitch, but if its dyneema then even a 20-30% loss would still result in a WLL way above what's needed.

Opinions?