Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2015, 07:15   #16
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Posts: 279
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

If you're making your bridle from brait, you could conceivably splice what would end up being a Brummel eye with two long tails

You could also weave in some Amsteel to the strands of 3-strand and make a loop to which you attach your hook
__________________

__________________
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 08:44   #17
Registered User
 
anacapaisland42's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Boat: Challenger 32 1974
Posts: 292
Images: 3
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

NB: Chain should not go around windlass but be attached to cleats
__________________

__________________
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 09:02   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Alert Bay, Vancouver Island
Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Posts: 933
Images: 4
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Some slight error in knot strength here. The alpine butterfly is not the strongest knot in this situation, a fig 8 or Fig 9 would be better. Climbers use the alpine butterfly to form a loop which may take a load across the knot. an example would be forming hand/foot loops to make a ladder. You would never get a load across the bridle so it isn't needed The critical point with a bridle is the angles which must be more than 120deg. 2 spliced loos would indeed be the strongest way to do this, about +20% on a fig 8 or + 40% on the butterfly
__________________
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 09:12   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

We use the carabiners for quick release, when my wife is picking up the mooring line for me I need to make it easy on her. We tie the line to one side with the carabiner, run it through the mooring and tie it to the other side. It eliminates chafing on the line, splicing to the line would be preferred. Our Helia doesn't have cleats on the front crossbar so this way we tie to the eyes under each bow.
__________________
sailor_pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 10:53   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We used to have a single line bridle and I just put a figure 8 bight in the middle of it. I don't know how much that decreases the strength of the rope, but I can't imagine that it is a significant enough loss in practical use - our 5/8" nylon has a 12,000lb breaking strength. Even cut in half, that is a lot for a bridle.

Mark
Agree, I think anchor road loads are way overstated, esp at lower wind speeds. I know at about 25 knots I can still pull slack into my bridle by hand...so can't be all that heavily loaded. Would take a hell of a lot more wind to get to 6K lbs and above that load level I expect other stuff would start breaking anyway. Even in 50-60 kts of wind I dont think I have anywhere near 6k lbs load.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 15:45   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
mikereed100's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Santa Barbara
Boat: 46' custom cat
Posts: 1,571
Images: 2
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Nice clean solution.

A rolling hitch used to be my method of choice too, but when I replaced my chain last year I got a fancy chain grabber. This was one motivation for going to a single line bridle.

A prusiks hitch tail, with appropriate chafe protection, could be connected to a chain hook also.
I've been toying with the idea of getting a Mantus chain hook to replace my rolling hitch for the sake of speed. Do you find that the chain grabber is worth it?
__________________
Mike

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:17   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,932
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I've been toying with the idea of getting a Mantus chain hook to replace my rolling hitch for the sake of speed. Do you find that the chain grabber is worth it?
I've got a Mantus. It is quick and easy, but then so is a rolling hitch. The Mantus is just a bit more convenient, but not dramatically.

Maybe better if someone else is working the bow who may not know how to tie a rolling hitch.

I like the idea of metal to metal for long term anchoring, but have never had a chafe problem with a rolling hitch.

Bottom line: not a huge difference.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:41   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,932
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_pr View Post
We use the carabiners for quick release, when my wife is picking up the mooring line for me I need to make it easy on her. We tie the line to one side with the carabiner, run it through the mooring and tie it to the other side. It eliminates chafing on the line, splicing to the line would be preferred. Our Helia doesn't have cleats on the front crossbar so this way we tie to the eyes under each bow.
Keep an eye on those carabiners...it is possible for them to open accidentally. In decades of using them I've only had it happen once, buy it can happen...that's why climbers use locking ones.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:46   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,932
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Some slight error in knot strength here. The alpine butterfly is not the strongest knot in this situation, a fig 8 or Fig 9 would be better. Climbers use the alpine butterfly to form a loop which may take a load across the knot. an example would be forming hand/foot loops to make a ladder. You would never get a load across the bridle so it isn't needed The critical point with a bridle is the angles which must be more than 120deg. 2 spliced loos would indeed be the strongest way to do this, about +20% on a fig 8 or + 40% on the butterfly
Do you have a good reference for breaking strength on the Alpine Butterfly? So far I've not found much.

I did read that it supposedly has different breaking limits depending on how its loaded (loop & one leg vs both legs), but nothing that appears to me to be definitive.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 17:45   #25
Registered User
 
0urh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Great Sandy Straits, Queensland, Australia
Boat: Easy Cat, 10.5m
Posts: 103
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Here is my bridle set. Use 1 clip on anchor chain when anchoring, 2 clips when on mooring. Have used this knot for several years with no problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bridle set up.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	95546
__________________
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 18:42   #26
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Interesting discussion, I operate a decent sized Cat (700 passenger) at my day job. I needed to develop self rescue capabilities for my SMS. I hired a consultant to advise on best practices and what was recommended was two identical length lines, each with an eye splice in either end and a soft shackle at the bridle (if a line parts this should greatly reduce the recoil preventing passengers and crew from being decapitated).
Has anybody towed a Cat in dicey conditions using a bridle? Single or double?
__________________
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 12:54   #27
Registered User
 
Double-Wide's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cruising Bahamas
Boat: Seawind - 1160
Posts: 115
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Why not put a seizing below the thimble in the center of the bridle? That would eliminate the need to tie the overhand knot which tends to weaken the line.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 13:26   #28
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bristol RI
Boat: Cape George 31
Posts: 632
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Hi Belizesailor,
The last post before this answered your question before I could: a seizing below the thimble would do. You could also splice two ends of line to one bow shackle (spliced like a rope-to-chain; make sure the shackle is nice and smooth), and attach that to your chain hook. I don't know much about the amounts that various knots weaken line, but I know that a figure-8 that's been pulled super tight can be impossible to undo, while an alpine butterfly is far less prone to jamming. Again, I thing a solution that involves splicing is by far the best.
Ben
__________________
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 19:59   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,932
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Wide View Post
Why not put a seizing below the thimble in the center of the bridle? That would eliminate the need to tie the overhand knot which tends to weaken the line.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I wouldn't think that typical siezing, like marlin,.would be strong enough (at least it would keep me awake at night), but if you siezed with something like spectra then I expect bridle line strength should still be near 100% (no knots, no splices).

The pursik hitch approach should also have little or no effect on line strength.

I siezed the thimble into my Alpine Butterfly set up, but the siezing is not load bearing, just there to keep the thimble from shifting.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 20:34   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,932
Re: Single Line Bridle Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I wouldn't think that typical siezing, like marlin,.would be strong enough (at least it would keep me awake at night), but if you siezed with something like spectra then I expect bridle line strength should still be near 100% (no knots, no splices).

The pursik hitch approach should also have little or no effect on line strength.

I siezed the thimble into my Alpine Butterfly set up, but the siezing is not load bearing, just there to keep the thimble from shifting.
Oops, should read "...would not be strong enough..."
__________________

__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attaching a Bridle or Snubber to Anchor Line Ocean Girl Multihull Sailboats 45 08-03-2017 13:36
Single Bridle off Anchor Roller vs Double Bridle with Chocks? sully75 Anchoring & Mooring 4 02-08-2014 17:14
Single line to serve as fore and aft spring line in slip 67Therapy Anchoring & Mooring 11 11-05-2013 20:39
Wiring Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) Rocker Switch with Light Patrick_DeepPlaya Marine Electronics 17 14-05-2011 20:42
Anchor Bridle vs Single Line Snubber BessLB Anchoring & Mooring 33 29-12-2009 08:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.