Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 07:26   #1

Boat: Broadblue 38
Single handed mooring med style?

Hi everyone

I've been singlehanding my little monohull on the lakes for a few years and am now in the process of upgrading to a cat in the med.

I've found some videos and material on single handed maneuvering in general and also a few aimed at cats. But so far nothing dealing with the typical stern to mooring med style (where one picks up the front mooring line from the stern and "walk it" to the bow).
I've "helped myself" by temporarely securing myself to the neighbor boat over the middle cleats, putting the engines in neutral and then pick up the mooring line and fiddle it forward. But there is not always a friendly boat or pier handy...
With the props behind the rudders and close to the surface I know by experience that it's not a good idea to "pin" the sterns against the wall in reverse and pull up the line next to the spinning prop...

And then there are those situations where the are rocks close to the pier and one needs to keep some distance to the pier.

Any thoughts on this?

regards Jan
CruiserAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:27   #2

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Re: Single handed mooring med style?

I usually back into the alloted / chosen space and get two stern lines across to the marina guys and, once they are secured, I put the props into slow forward - the boat will nicely balance herself out provided there is no strong adverse wind blowing. Then I secure the forward mooring lines, shut down the engine and then adjust all the lines.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:49   #3

Boat: O45 ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
I usually back into the alloted / chosen space and get two stern lines across to the marina guys and, once they are secured, I put the props into slow forward - the boat will nicely balance herself out provided there is no strong adverse wind blowing. Then I secure the forward mooring lines, shut down the engine and then adjust all the lines.
+1

Although I ussully let the enigine do some more work.
Stern lines secured but with a few feet extra lenght.
Props in forward and secure mooring line.
Put in reverse to take the stretch out of the mooring line.
Secure the two stern lines and after that shut down the engine.

Cheers Rob
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single handed mooring med style?

Pretty much as above.. but just ticking over in fwd while I sort the fwd lines.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:22   #5

Boat: Malo 39

Agree with other advice. I can't see how you can do this safely without having the engine in forward gear. Just take care picking up the mooring line with the boat hook to keep away from the props. On a monohull this is no issue.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:36   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

get the windward stern line fixed, lean on the boat next, engage the gear forward, and all is good
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

And to thee bloody marineros who alswaysc hold the moorin up.
GET THE WINDWARD STERN LINE FIXED ENGAGE GEAR FORWARD

AND ALL IS PERFECT
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 13:05   #8

Hi, there is a ton of videos on Youtube about how to back in.
nomisfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 13:13   #9

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Go directly to the Atlantic or even the Suez?
Old 04-03-2017, 13:34   #10

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserAD View Post
Hi everyone

I've been singlehanding my little monohull on the lakes for a few years and am now in the process of upgrading to a cat in the med.

I've found some videos and material on single handed maneuvering in general and also a few aimed at cats. But so far nothing dealing with the typical stern to mooring med style (where one picks up the front mooring line from the stern and "walk it" to the bow).
I've "helped myself" by temporarely securing myself to the neighbor boat over the middle cleats, putting the engines in neutral and then pick up the mooring line and fiddle it forward. But there is not always a friendly boat or pier handy...
With the props behind the rudders and close to the surface I know by experience that it's not a good idea to "pin" the sterns against the wall in reverse and pull up the line next to the spinning prop...

And then there are those situations where the are rocks close to the pier and one needs to keep some distance to the pier.

Any thoughts on this?

regards Jan
You are assuming that there are mooring lines which is not always the case in Europe including in marinas. In many instances you will be dropping an anchor then tying back to the pontoon / quay and for this It is best to have an anchor control at the helm. Leave some slack in the chain until you have secured the stern lines and then take up on the chain to hold yourself off the quay. I use 2 stern lines and 2 springs at the stern to hold the boat square on but if it starts blowing hard from one side the lack of a bridle on the anchor chain makes the bow angle away from the wind so I sometimes dive in to put the bridle on or take a line from the bow back to the quay / pontoon on the windward side.

And of course during all of one's Med mooring manoeuvres there is always an audience looking on with a critical eye. On one particularly difficult occasion we received an ovation from the nearby cafe after our 3rd and finally successful attempt.

TwT
Old 04-03-2017, 14:41   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Depending on your boat you may find going bow-in to be a better solution. A traditional vessel like mine has its deepest draft aft, at the end of the keel and the barn door rudder, which can't get close to the quay in many harbors. Not to mention the wind vane on the transom. I also don't like people on the quay looking into my companionway. I have found getting off the bowsprit to usually be reasonably easy. Of course modern boats with spade rudders and wide stern platforms are great for stern-in.

I don't recall having any problems going bow-in. The stern anchor and rode on a roller, both on the pushpit, were easy to let out using a primary winch to tension, then temporarily secure with the engine in forward. Using slime lines was trickier but IIRC there was usually help around to hold the bowsprit while I set them up - always carry some stout leather gloves for that job as sometimes there are barnacles that can cut.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 15:06   #12

Boat: Kompier Kotter 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Depending on your boat you may find going bow-in to be a better solution.

Greg
I'm with you Greg. For many boats I can't see any reason for mooring stern to, be it mono- or multi-hull.

Advantages to going bow in (in no particular order): easier short handed maneuvering; easier to back into an open space than a confined space; safer for all the delicate vulnerable bits on the stern; better privacy; security more easily managed; easier dinghy management.

Advantages to going stern in..... Anyone?

Mark
Kudawudashuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 17:02   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If there is insufficient room to drop a bow anchor and reverse to swing the boat stern in then I would drop the bow anchor and use the dinghy to set a stern anchor or line to shore Then it is just a matter of adjusting lines to pivot the boat.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:44   #14

Boat: Broadblue 385
Send a message via Skype™ to suedstern1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihull View Post
+1

Although I ussully let the enigine do some more work.
Stern lines secured but with a few feet extra lenght.
Props in forward and secure mooring line.
Put in reverse to take the stretch out of the mooring line.
Secure the two stern lines and after that shut down the engine.

Cheers Rob
+1
When I am alone I use the winches to work with the stern lines
suedstern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:06   #15

Boat: Broadblue 38

Thanks for all the responses!

I actually used to have a very heavy long-keeled steel monohull on which I lived and sailed for five years with my former wife incl. a toddler. There we always went bows in - exactly for the reasons mentioned above (Windwane and hard to board over the the stern, a nuisance to maneuver the long-keeler backwards in tight spaces, increased privacy and a bowsprit perfect for getting on an off the boat).

But now I was asking for single handing on a catamaran, and there maneuvering is less of a problem and the sugar scoops make getting on and off the boat much easier over the stern. I'm not so worried about using the anchor for this but the mooring line and the spinning props in close proximity was my worry.

cheers
Jan
CruiserAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, single