Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 06:30   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Single handed mooring med style?

mooring line and the spinning props in close proximity was my worry.

Yes be very careful what the marinero does. Lot's of them throw you the small mooring catchline into the screw to get 200€ work for their friends the divers.

In croatia, mooring lines are common use. In Greece mooring lines and in town harbours bow anchors.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:58   #17

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Three basic situations: wind from the stern, cross-wind, and wind on the bow.

Wind from astern, life is easy -- the wind will keep the boat pointing straight and keep it off the dock.

Wind from the side -- most common situation. Prepare the anchor with a lot of rode on deck, ready to drop quickly. The most important line will be windward side stern. Position the bow 100' to 200' off the dock, slightly upwind of the slip, with the bow off the wind such that the wind will push the bow away from the dock. Drop anchor and return to the helm. Back into the slip using a helm-mounted or handheld windlass control to keep the bow straight out -- the windward pull. If the stern swings too far to leeward, power foward to the anchor, taking up on the chain, and try again.

If wind is on the nose, drop the anchor directly upwind of the slip and use the windlass to slowly lower the boat into the slip. Propwalk can be used to make slight lateral adjustments.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 16:10   #18
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

This is all great advise. I have to say, I don't think I would do it single handed as it's hard enough for me to go side to single hand let alone stern to. If you do this, please make sure you are prepared to clear your anchor single handed and have enough fenders that your not just crashing into other boats to get to a quay. I'd personally be pretty pissed, and I mean in your face pissed, if you messed up and damaged my boat due to being short of crew. I have a lot of respect for single handers that can do this, but IMO they need to be able to handle their situation completely. Not that everyone doesn't screw up once in a while.
Old 05-03-2017, 17:17   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I find there is a lot more to be worried about than single-handers. As a group we tend to be experienced and careful - few people start out thinking they can do it alone. In my experience it is the noobs, the charterers, and those whose egos are fed by buying a boat and calling themselves "captain" that are worrisome.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 17:43   #20
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Greg, your right that there are many worries involved with boating. I'm just wondering how much you've hung out in the Med watching boats moor and wind events occur. I've seen a lot, and I really mean A LOT, of situations that would be very difficult to handle by yourself.

I'd be the first to say it's difficult. For Palarran, we crush boats if the wind shifts 180 degrees - literally. Ferry's can throw up wakes that will pile drive you into the quay if not pulled far enough off. And I personally think it is more difficult on a catamaran due to it's beam. I'm just advising the OP to make sure that he can really handle the boat in a Med moor. Though bows in might make it easier with a small cat.
Old 05-03-2017, 20:12   #21

Boat: between boats

A matter close to my heart having just spent half of last season in Greece solo med mooring between crew changes etc. Some cat designs are far easier to med moor solo than others. Some are basically impossible in all but zero wind. Things you will need to look for are -

1. good vision to all 4 corners from the helm
2. close proximity of helm to stern lines and their cleats to be able to comfortably make the dash from one to the other
3. anchor winch control at the helm or a reliable remote
4. the lower the windage on the cat the easier/safer it will be as the wind pipes up.
5. sugar scoops will let you pick up a lazy line solo if no one is there to hand them to you

The dual aft helms are hands down the easiest set up to med moor solo. You can remain at the helm and exchange stern lines and even lazy lines, you have the best vision of the rear corners and if you have throttles at both helms then you can pick the side to operate from depending on wind direction, obstacles etc

Ive seen an experienced skipper solo med moor a 52 foot catana in 25 knot cross winds for example.

On the other hand Ive seen one poor skipper trip and brain himself trying (for the third time) to dash down some stairs to get to the opposite stern in 10 knots of offshore winds. End result was damage to his boat and the one next to him as well as the gash to his head. (technically he was with his wife but she was not much help being stuck at the anchor winch the whole time and unable to suddenly take over once the skipper was down)

Some bridgedeck helm cats are easier than others - just think through the path you will need to take to get to the opposite stern and how long that may take, how many obstacles and trip hazards as a quide. Flybridge helms would be a no go for this reason alone.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:20   #22

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Greg, your right that there are many worries involved with boating. I'm just wondering how much you've hung out in the Med watching boats moor and wind events occur. I've seen a lot, and I really mean A LOT, of situations that would be very difficult to handle by yourself
Well, stop wondering. I left Gib eastbound in 2001, left westbound in 2008, and never left the Med in between - all but 2 weeks solo. And I never said it wasn't difficult, although made easier by kind volunteers on the quay and my preference for anchoring and dinghying where possible. My point was that the single-handers I have seen or known are rarely a problem - it is usually a crewed boat with an inexperienced skipper that is usually the problem. Calling out single-handers, or discouraging an experienced skipper from trying it, seems pretty prejudiced to me.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, single