Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-09-2008, 00:35   #1

Simpson cloud 12

Gday folks, im a newby here i just want to say gday and how are ya, im from brisbane, australia.
I am looking at a simpson cat this weekend with my wife and i dont know much about the simpson cats, this one is a production glass cat so its not a backyard ply job, not that theres any thing wrong with them but i just wanted to put you into the picture.
Do they sail well and if someone owns one could you tell me a bit about them please.cheers...jim

Old 02-09-2008, 03:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Welcome to the forum Jim. Lots of opinions and advice abobut cats around here.

Good luck with your search.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:47   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
This one I take it?
Cloud 12 Catamaran For Sale

I like Simo's, (, on my second build now) as in my opinion they are a comfortable and strong design and if built light and carrying a sensible load perform quite well.

I would do your Due Dilligence here though as the parent company builds swimming pools About Us so if any workers have crossed over you may find the layup to be even more on the heavy side.(not good for multi's)

They tend not to be too fussy hosing out a pool.

Not saying this will be the case but I have seen some ridiculously heavy production boats in my time.

Have Fun,

Dave
Old 02-09-2008, 06:16   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
WELCOME,

Another Simpson owner here. Stripped mahogany, and her length 46ft. Built in Berlin, and has even done the Autobahn......LOLOLOLOL
Old 02-09-2008, 08:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
I dont know the aus prices, but that seems a bit expensive for the age.

If the boot topping is an indication of the waterline level, then it is either overloaded, or built to heavy. This would also suggest that the bridgedeck clearance is insufficient. I would worry about slamming.

I suspect if she is lightship, she probably is quite fast, but in cruising trim. . .

as an indication to waterline level, the bottom of the sugar scoop should be at the waterline, this will minimise drag.
Old 02-09-2008, 14:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's a pretty normal practise to have the boot topping a few inches above the waterline though. And boats are expensive here in Oz, compared to the US.
Old 03-09-2008, 23:44   #7

simpson cloud 12

Thanks for the replys fella's no dave that isnt the 1 but i have seen it up at montys.
The one im looking at is under 200 and needs a bit of work. Does anyone know of a unfinished cat for sale in the se queensland area? I have looked at a 52 simpson at beveredge rd marina but needs too much work and he wants oodles for it. How big is your cat dave? it looks like its getting close to going in the drink.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:55   #8

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Based on a 50 ft Slipstream, just like this one

Used Roger Simpson 50' Slipstream 1 catamaran for sale - Slipstream 1

If I can get stuck into it without distraction probably 12 mths and $60k from splash.

52 footer, what boat was that?

Dave
Old 05-09-2008, 00:32   #9

Its a old simpson that has a plywood deck and cabin and it was completly rotted out so it was 70 k just for the hulls and deck gear...jim
Old 08-01-2013, 05:33   #10

Boat: Beach marine (modified Crowther) 36'
Re: Simpson cloud 12

Hello sailing world. We may be another convert to the world of Simpson Cats the 35' Inspiration model actuall. 3 currently on mkt here in aust, a lengthened 1999 model 4 cabin; a 2000 model with 2 queens and 1 single and ; a 2003 model rather rundown sadly and on other side of aust. to me.
Appears bridge deck clearance is about 500 to 550 mms. Each seems to be about 5 or so tons. With mini-keels and saildrives all.
Any knowledge on how they sail, and ability to point to windward. Are they slugs or goers?.
I shoul add we wanna go cruising again after selling in succesion our ketches
Old 09-01-2013, 01:37   #11

We have a Simpson inspiration, we love her, she sails well and has looked after us for the last two years. Stretched to 11.5 and three cabins , one head and a workshop / storeroom. She was launched in 1999 but hadn't done any work.
Cheers for now
Angus
Roar ege
Old 09-01-2013, 06:04   #12

Thanks Angus,
Is there any (or any significant) b/deck slap? (The quoted clearance is only so so from what i hear as a rule of thumb in Cats for such b/deck clearances.

You say she sails well. Thats good news but do you have anecdotal evidence from your experiences as to what speeds for given wind conditions? And how high does she point (degrees /apparent/true etc)
Angus do they tack well, ok or just so so
Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-01-2013, 14:15   #13

A short video,doesn't show much. Bridge deck clearance has never been a problem, we motored into 25 knot head winds for two days last year and probably slammed two or three times (our saloon table is not bolted down and it never moved). The boat tacks crisply down to about 8 knots depending on sea state and load. Speeds and pointing ability are the same, very dependent on sea state and load. I have managed to point as high as 30 degrees true in flat water and also managed to do 6.5 to 7 knots on 7 knots of wind with a full main and mps with the wind from 110 true and a flat sea.

We work on about 7 knots for our trip planning. While its no racer it's definitely no slug , easily keeping up with an 1160 on our way north last year and while in the whitsundays we sailed past 1000's 1160's lagoon 380's and many fp's. Of course these were charter boats but you get the picture. Our sail plan is a roachy main and a 130 % genoa and a cruising mps. Would love to add a screecher and a water maker to keep the weight down(we can carry 800 litres). We also have auto stream feathering props and they are worth their weight in gold. I've got to go. Give me a call if you want , 0427 276 203.
Angus.
Old 14-01-2013, 21:46   #14

Hi everybody, we just got home from a month on the boat. Sorry about the last post, it should have read- I have managed to point as high as 30 degrees apparent in flat water.
Sorry about the exaggeration. On the way home we had to beat into a 11 to 12 knot headwind heading up the bay from Kingfisher Bay (Fraser Island).

We had no trouble doing 7.5 to 8.5 knots at around 32 to 35 degrees apparent which we thought was pretty good for a overloaded cruiser. We had to tack twice to clear Moon point on our way to Rooney's point. Was a great sail!
Old 14-01-2013, 23:02   #15

ah ha, fessed up hey. Still its a good achievement for your Cat. If whatever we get can replicate that (and better) I will be over the moon. Looking at a few others, such as Rogers, 10.5 and a Crowther Islander, which each seem to tick a few boxes -better bridge deck clearance than the Inspiration for one, but not all the boxes ticked -yet.
Thanks again for your comments, Happy sailing.
DBL07

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: