Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 01:36   #1

Simpson Cloud 10-Is it worth it?

Hi guys.
In my frustration of not being able afford the size/type of cat we want, we've decide (or just about to purchase a Simpson Coud 10 shell.
My initial question is is it worth what I'm about to pay for it? He's asking $30k but so far have negotiated to $24k including left over glass matting and vacuum pump. It's over spec'd with 19mm foam core rather than 12mm and vacuum bagged construction. The finish is extremely well done.
I should mention I'm in Qld Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	140923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	140924  

Name:	IMG_0446.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	140925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	140926  

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	140927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	140928  

fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Simpson Cloud 10-Is it worth it?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, fairview.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, fairview.

Thanks mate, hoping CF will be fruitful in helping me on my journey
Old 09-02-2017, 07:36   #4

Looks awesome other than all the work ahead of you.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:00   #5

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

How old are you ? are you mechanically inclined ? like any project make a list of everything involved and put a number to it . that will tell you if its a good deal or are you going to just end up at a price of a boat that you could buy today make payments and at the end have years of sailing instead of building . I have been a boat builder, kitchen remodeler all my life but when it came to the time to get a boat I would buy one complete ,sail it , and sell it and buy a new one ending up with our Seawind 1160 in California U S A . good luck and happy sailing or building !!! both are a lot of fun !!!
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:42   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I can't say if it's a good buy or not, but....

IF you decide to go ahead I strongly urge you to keep the boat close to where you live. 15 years ago we bought a boat that needed "everything" and it was several hours travel from our home. Very bad idea. Life kept getting in the way and we had to stop the project.

Ideally, you should be able to get to the boat in a short drive if you have a spare hour after work, or run over to get a measurement from the boat if you're working something up in your garage.

Good luck if you go ahead!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:49   #7

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Welcome... My wild guess, unless you are working full time on it, you have years of work ahead of you. I'd also guess at least $30k in materials and $100k worth of labor. There's a reason they are selling the shell.
Old 09-02-2017, 13:18   #8

DONT PROCRASTINATE GET ON WITH IT.good luk and stay in touch if I can help .houseboat hulls will cost that much.Dont try to steal it. reply with your email I am also in qld and had a lot of experience...john
baycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 13:44   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I hope you have a lot of fortitude. Can the seller verify the construction?

Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 13:46   #10

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

I started building a boat from scratch, I then found one which was internally a wreck but it was mostly there. It was a 34ft ketch. after six years it was on the water. Four more years and the loan was paid off. I am still working on it and sailing although I had to replace an engine. Purchase price £12K items spent £12K (mast, sails and engine were supplied) Value £30K. I could have bought one and spent more time sailing at the same price. But what we have now is customised to us so it was worth it. I did the work 1/2 mile away and its now six miles away in a marina.

If you want the fun of working on a design and the one you have here will take years and cost a lot, thats part of the fun. If you think its a cheap way to get sailing it isnt, and it will delay you. I am proud of what I have done, mostly on my own but the familiy enjoy it and I said I would do it, I did despite what my friends said.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 14:26   #11

Quote: My frustration of not being able afford the size/type of cat we want.

The question you need to ask yourself are you going down this path because you want the experience of building your own cat or because you want to go sailing. A quick Google will yield Cloud 10's advertised currently at up to 130K. So if you could launch it today completed for less than 100K it may be worth a look at.

You must at the minimum have an estimated cost's for procurement of all equipment needed to get to splash the boat, including entire electrical system 12 & 240 volt, plumbing system, engines and drive-train , furniture, tanks (fuel,water,black water) Mast, boom and rigging standing and running, sails, deck hardware (including pushpitt, pullpit and lifelines), widows and hatches, dinghy and motor, anchor, chain, windlass, winches, clutches, steering gear, etc etc etc.

Plus estimated time it will it take to get the money to pay for the required equipment to do these jobs and the time you will actually take to complete the installation of them.

Then you will be in a reasonable position to say if you are embarking on building your current dream boat, in an acceptably timely and cost effective manner, or putting more time and money into somebody else's and soon to be yours also, failed dream.

Good luck which ever way you go.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 14:53   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

If it was built in Cooroy QLD then I helped build her along with the owner Brad.
As for being worth it that depends......the last Cloud 10 I surveyed sold for around $100,000. You would need to get a fantastic deal on the rig and mast to make the project economical (Vetus engines have been offering competitive pricing). Also what about the cost of moving her twice? Once to your place and then to the marina when completed.
The one upside if you go ahead is you will be getting a new boat for around the same price as an older Cloud 10.
I would say if you are handy with tools and have some spare time go for it. Last year I finally launched our 10 meter yacht which I built from scratch in 2 years, only working on her in my spare time.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 15:38   #13

Boat: Leopard 39

I agree with PaulinOz. You need to decide if you want to go sailing in the near future, or build a boat. If you can wait on the sailing, you're skilled in boat building, and it will be fun to do, go for it.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 15:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
If it was built in Cooroy QLD then I helped build her along with the owner Brad.

As for being worth it that depends......the last Cloud 10 I surveyed sold for around $100,000. You would need to get a fantastic deal on the rig and mast to make the project economical (Vetus engines have been offering competitive pricing). Also what about the cost of moving her twice? Once to your place and then to the marina when completed.

The one upside if you go ahead is you will be getting a new boat for around the same price as an older Cloud 10.

I would say if you are handy with tools and have some spare time go for it. Last year I finally launched our 10 meter yacht which I built from scratch in 2 years, only working on her in my spare time.

Cheers

Hey mate, thanks for the reply. Yes it is Brads boat. Currently we have sold our house and looking to work on her full time to get her in the water. Could you tell me a little more on her build and anything I might not be aware of?
Old 09-02-2017, 16:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post
Looks awesome other than all the work ahead of you.

Thankyou!