Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 14:12   #1

Simple Heater Question.

OK, here goes: What would be the cheapest, safe; wall or free-standing electric heater AND also cheap to run (very important), for a Prout Quest 33 ? Even to buying two to cover most space.

Thanks for your input.
wambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 14:22   #2

Re: Simple Heater Question.

There are no simple questions on this forum. Someone will attack your question. Someone else will tell you they agree. Someone will tell you that it is a "How long is the string question." Someone will tell you that it was covered on a previous forum. Someone will say it depends on the anchor you have. Even though you didn't ask, you will be told you don't have enough power. And last but not least. Someone will say that is called a hunters setup, then the gun fight starts. So good luck with your question.
tdominic_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 14:31   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

wambam,

Where are you located?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 15:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdominic_97 View Post
There are no simple questions on this forum. Someone will attack your question. Someone else will tell you they agree. Someone will tell you that it is a "How long is the string question." Someone will tell you that it was covered on a previous forum. Someone will say it depends on the anchor you have. Even though you didn't ask, you will be told you don't have enough power. And last but not least. Someone will say that is called a hunters setup, then the gun fight starts. So good luck with your question.
I agree. I was actually being somewhat ironic by saying a "simple" question, but just trying to cut to the chase.

Cotemar - at present I am on the Solent, South England. Wet, cold, windy.
wambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 15:49   #5

Community Sponsor

Everyone seems to like the small ceramic heaters
Old 01-02-2014, 15:53   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The efficiency of all electric resistive heaters is about the same. My preference is the larger oil filled ones that look like old fashioned steam radiators. Only reason I like them is the cannot fall over and start a fire. I would stay away for an heater that could start a fire if cloth or something got too close to it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:06   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

While not free standing I would look at Kronings heaters from Denmark. Very compact with variable amperage and fan settings and a lot of safety features. I own two - one for hull and they have made a world of difference along with a dehumidifier which, depending on the type you choose, can generate heat as well.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:44   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The efficiency of all electric resistive heaters is about the same.
Or, to be more precise, EXACTLY the same. 100% of the electricity you consume is turned to heat.

Pick whichever one you like best.

Those with thermal storage (e.g.; oil-filled) hold the heat a little longer while the thermostat is off. They are also often designed to encourage convective air currents, instead of using a fan, which is nice if you want quiet. But a fan will get more air moving, so you'll have fewer cold spots.

There's absolutely no economic benefit to "ceramic" heaters. Again, even the $15 Wal-Mart specials (sometimes on sale this time of year for $10) are 100% efficient.

At least in the US, it's the law that electric heaters have an automatic shutoff if they fall over. Usually it's a switch on the bottom. But that won't prevent you from accidentally leaving paper, blankets or towels too close and starting a fire. This is where the oil-filled or ceramic can help, since they may be cooler on the outside.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:55   #9

Community Sponsor

May want to consider and electric blanket also. We have been using one on the boat for years now and it makes a huge difference sleeping.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:56   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
May want to consider and electric blanket also. We have been using one on the boat for years now and it make a huge difference sleeping.

And they don't use much power at all too
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdominic_97 View Post
Best answer that I have seen. Only category left out was to move to a warmer climate.
blighhigh is offline   Reply With Quote