Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2019, 14:04   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Show Me Your Cushions

So, I had asked earlier how much to plan on spending for new outdoor cushions for our boat. I decided that my friend and I are going to make them. We are both skilled sewers, and she can get all the materials wholesale. I'm budgeting about $3000 for the whole project.

But now, I need some decorating advice. all the outdoor fabrics right now are grey. I don't know if I should keep them a neutral grey, or if I should enjoy playing with color. Do any of you have cushions that aren't the neutral grey or tan that the manufacturers put on? if so, I'd love to see them to get some idea of what I like...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 15:30   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Show Me Your Cushions

You can get SunBrella in a wide range of colors. Just visit Sail Rite's site to see.

I had my last round of cockpit cushions redone in Guatemala. $350 for the entire job. 4 cushions. Nice work too.

Do you plan replace the foam or just recover?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 18:23   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Find out if there is an upholstery fabric store in your neck of the woods. I like to feel as well as see the fabrics involved. Whatever you choose should be washable, and I like to run zips (I don't like velcro for cushion covers) around the corners a way, it makes putting the covers back on easier. Do put the zips in in a way where the teeth are not exposed to UV. And do use PTFE thread which does not deteriorate signficantly from UV.

Incidentally, you can sometimes source acrylic canvas (what Sunbrella is) on e-bay, for a lot less than you'll pay elsewhere. It is vulnerable to oil based stains, but spray de-greaser and waterless hand cleaner are your friends there.

Ann
Old 21-07-2019, 18:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
You can get SunBrella in a wide range of colors. Just visit Sail Rite's site to see.

I had my last round of cockpit cushions redone in Guatemala. $350 for the entire job. 4 cushions. Nice work too.

Do you plan replace the foam or just recover?
I don't know... we only first saw the boat on Friday, and had our survey, so we were focused on the systems, etc. I merely notice how bad the cushions were, but didn't get to open up the covers and look at the foam. Although I did sit on one of the cusions, and it seemed pretty firm. Will look closer this weekend when we go back this coming weekend for our repositioning. I hope we don't have to replace them, but if we do, I think I want to go with a little deeper cushions.

I've been looking at the sunbrella site, and I see lots of stuff I like, I just don't know what direction I want to go in.. neutral, or colors... solid, or some pattern... I saw a vlog where they had black cushions, which was neat.. but I was wondering if it was way too modern for our taste.
Old 22-07-2019, 00:42   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Honestly, I'd stay with the grey, at least for the exterior. The black is sort of invisible at night. A lighter color shows you exactly where they are.

Does your husband have a preference? or is this delegated to you to fix it?

Ann
Old 22-07-2019, 02:56   #6

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Try to avoid soft foam, it will not be comfortable over longish periods. Firm is better. Also, if you are going to change the foam be sure to use closed cell foam. It doesn’t absorb water and when it does get wet, it dries real quick. Normal foam stays wet forever especially if it’s wet from sea water.

I would avoid black. Counter-intuitively, it is really hard to keep clean and when it starts to fade it doesn’t do it well. Stick with the gray or if you’re stuck on colours, do what you love but use a good quality material. I used less expensive material at first and was disappointed, learned a lesson and now only use Sunbrella.

PTFE thread is good for sails, real expensive and limited range of colours. For canvas work I use bonded polyester which lasts well in UV, is way more affordable and comes in a wide colour range.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 03:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Try to avoid soft foam, it will not be comfortable over longish periods. Firm is better. Also, if you are going to change the foam be sure to use closed cell foam. It doesn’t absorb water and when it does get wet, it dries real quick. Normal foam stays wet forever especially if it’s wet from sea water.

I would avoid black. Counter-intuitively, it is really hard to keep clean and when it starts to fade it doesn’t do it well. Stick with the gray or if you’re stuck on colours, do what you love but use a good quality material. I used less expensive material at first and was disappointed, learned a lesson and now only use Sunbrella.

PTFE thread is good for sails, real expensive and limited range of colours. For canvas work I use bonded polyester which lasts well in UV, is way more affordable and comes in a wide colour range.
There is also open cell foam which allows water to pass thru due to its very open structurd. Ive used both open & closed. The down side to closed is that eventually the outter closed layer develops failure points and admits water, which is then trapped. This does take some time of course depending on how much it is abused. Open cell lets the water flow thru and dries quickly. Eventually it like all foams will compress and need to be replaced, but if not abused badly this will take years.

Good outdoor use foams, both closed and open cell, are expensive.
Old 22-07-2019, 04:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Honestly, I'd stay with the grey, at least for the exterior. The black is sort of invisible at night. A lighter color shows you exactly where they are.

Does your husband have a preference? or is this delegated to you to fix it?

Ann
Basically, I do the looking, and show him the things I like... and he tells me if he likes it or not. if he really likes it, we get it.. and if he hates it, we don't, and I go look for something else I like. So we both have input, and I would select decide on something he hates.

I know, like me, he likes lots of color.. but I think if I add color with pillows and things, I think he would like the grey... But I've also shown him some colored fabric for the cushions that he loves... We actually do pretty good together.
Old 22-07-2019, 04:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post

Definitely will get the firm closed cell. I knew there was one type that you needed to use for outside, but I couldn't remember the name of it. So, thank you for reminding me.

And I wouldn't select anything other than Sunbrella, because I want it to look beautiful, for a long time. I will do a bit of research on the thread. I know I have a big spool of it (in the wrong color, of course) that was special UV thread, but I don't know what kind it is...
Old 22-07-2019, 04:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post

And I wouldn't select anything other than Sunbrella, because I want it to look beautiful, for a long time.
Also look at Perennials,

https://www.perennialsfabrics.com/
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 06:04   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

[QUOTE=scarlet;2936320]
And I wouldn't select anything other than Sunbrella,/QUOTE]

I prefer a vinyl for water resistance. Sunbrella requires water proofing maintenance. Even with closed cell foam, water intrusion can soak cushions that takes time to dry out.

We are constantly in and out of the water, and have kids, which means ten times the amount of water being moved from the sea and displaced on the cushions. As weekenders, that means saturated cushions going below on Sunday night. So for us, it’s waterproof cushions.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 06:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
Also look at Perennials,

https://www.perennialsfabrics.com/
They have GORGEOUS fabrics!!!! Way better selection than sunbrella. But how do they compare as far as quality? I know when they say "as good as sunbrella" they usually don't. Do you know anyone who has used them in a boat?
Old 22-07-2019, 06:12   #13

[QUOTE=Tetepare;2936381]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
And I wouldn't select anything other than Sunbrella,/QUOTE]

I prefer a vinyl for water resistance. Sunbrella requires water proofing maintenance. Even with closed cell foam, water intrusion can soak cushions that takes time to dry out.

We are constantly in and out of the water, and have kids, which means ten times the amount of water being moved from the sea and displaced on the cushions. As weekenders, that means saturated cushions going below on Sunday night. So for us, it’s waterproof cushions.
I like the idea of vinyl for all the reasons you list above. However, I can't stand sticking to vinyl. And it gets really hot in the sun.
Old 22-07-2019, 06:13   #14

My current cushions, which have held up really well. Are a mesh material, forget the brand, but it came from Sail Rite, and open cell foam...so water goes right thru and it dries quickly. You can literally spray a hose thru them.

The mesh has proven very durable and color fast. Its about 7 years old now and looks just fine, no fading.
Old 22-07-2019, 08:28   #15

I manage yachts. My customers seem to want only to pick dark colors for cushions but then complain they are HOT to sit on. They are that and more ! When I'm aboard, the fitted cushions stay below and we'll bring out some closed cell foam cushions that are covered in a kind of light grey plastic netting. I always say (quietly), "Sunbrella has colors and patterns GALORE.. so why pick a monotone "flag blue" covering or the like ??? They are not eager to redo these projects and repeat that expense !
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions