Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 16:55   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Should I go schooner or not? Opinions please

Currently debating and want input:

Area of sail: SE Asia where winds tend to be zero, or squall.

Vessel: Big multihull with two mast steps and chain plates already in place.

Current rig: Short mast, small gaff main, hank on jib that can be converted to roller furling. Easy to handle, can drop sail quickly and chances of breakage small. Current max speed modest 9 knots downwind and on beam. Upwind ability low.

Potential rig: Adds 46 ft mast on stern and conversion to stay sail schooner. Cost of conversion about $5,000 since already have sails that can be recut.

Justification: Appearance, higher potential resale value, low cost to make change, and upwind capability. Long term plan not yet confirmed is heading East and upwind would be important then. Currently upwind not so big a concern.

Drawbacks: Short term plan is adding 6800 watts solar to rear to go 48V DC air-conditioning and freezer. A large mast in the rear would potentially cause problems mounting panels. Cost of $5,000 is greater than fuel costs which is obvious alternate when unwinding short term. Air-conditioning would potentially be a higher resale point.

I would likely have to carry the 46ft mast on the deck level for a few months until I reached Langkawi.

How would you go?

Note: Converting back to big full batten mainsail and 79ft mast is not an option for me. I have neither the budget nor stomach to go above 20 knots. Current speed is plenty for pleasant cruising. Part of this equation is fact the 46ft mast is here now and so cheap. This said I don't think it is perfect. I would rather it be closer to a 55ft mast to provide even better assurance of windward performance during a contrary Pacific crossing.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 15:53   #2

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Should I go schooner or not? Opinions please

If going upwind is the primary objection, I don't think going to a schooner rig will be much help. How long is your current (perhaps soon to be fore-) mast? How will the change affect sail balance?

Jay designed some nice boats. My initial impression is that your boat is significantly underpowered. OTOH, I do understand budgetary constraints. If you're satisfied with the performance you're getting now, adding more sail area will be even better reaching, but perhaps not upwind.

Personally, very personally) I'd hold out for a 55'er. I don't need to go 20+ all the time, but 12-14 is certainly nice.

Let us now what you decide.
Old 09-07-2018, 15:54   #3

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Should I go schooner or not? Opinions please

I forgot to ask about the 6800 watts of solar. It that number correct? If so, I'm amazed and envious.

Tags
lease