Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 09:51   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingy View Post
The Athena 38 is too small for me, but I'm 6'3". What size cat are you looking for?

I continue to be stunned by how few cats there are available compared to monos - and therefore (at least in part), how cheap monos look compared to cats. My wife won't go unless it's flat, so I'm still looking for a cat.
Kevingy - I have the opposite problem. Both the admiral and I are relatively short. Problems arrise in the galley for instance when microwaves and cupboards are positioned so high that she would require a stool to access them. Not really a good plan when dealing with hot liquids in a bit of a chop.

re the availability of good cats. it is my belief that a good portion of that is just that there are far fewer cats in the world but another consideration is that more and more folks are realizing the cat is just a better tool for the job. Especially when one considers that for cruising you are going to be at anchor at least 10 times as often as you will be sailing. People joke about condomarans but condos are comfie to live in basements are not.

sk
shawnkillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:54   #17

Think about hiring Bob Perry to help. For $500 he will consult with you by phone throughout your buying process and help evaluate what you find. He will also help you cut through the broker hand waving ( but it doesn't replace a survey). He will get you discounts on equipment after the sale that probably are worth more than $500. I used him about five years ago with good success.

The negatives are that Bob is more of a monohull guy and located on the west coast. I would certainly give him a call first and see if you like him. The information is on his web site.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 15:26   #18

great info here thanks good question..
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shopping