Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2019, 16:30   #16

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Shipping used boat parts - US>Belize

I know almost nothing, but you need to import almost anything into Belize, like a car or boat trailer even. I think Belize would be a disaster.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 05:56   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinSwales View Post
Another problem with buying a boat in Belize...
The boat I'm seeing is US (Delaware) registered to a US ex-pat who is retired and bought it duty-free out of the Moorings fleet as a QRP retiree.
If I purchase the boat in Belize, how long would I be able to keep it there before Belize would want import duty on the ENTIRE boat ?
Would things be any better if the deal was done down in Rio Dulce ?

Any help appreciated...I'm coming down to inspect it in Placencia next week.
Not long, I think its 90 days max, but you should confirm with Customs the current details on buying a QRP boat. Importation is insanely expensive, thats why nobody does it (unless they have a "friend" in Customs).

You may be able to register it as a foreign vessel. This is what the charter fleets do. This involves a higher annual registration fee (BZ$1,000 last time I did it), but that was years ago. Foreign vessel regisration has historically been used only for charter fleet boats, I doubt Customs/Port Authority would allos it for a private boat, but no harm in asking.

Be forewarned, dealing with Belizean offocialdom can be a very trying life experience, even if they give you the answer you want to hear up front...you may never be able to get there from here. [emoji849] Therefore, my suggestion is to take the route that involves the least red tape, which is likely just buy it and run to the Rio...everything is easier in Guatemala.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 07:20   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
If I purchase the boat in Belize, how long would I be able to keep it there before Belize would want import duty on the ENTIRE boat ?
90 days

Quote:
Would things be any better if the deal was done down in Rio Dulce ? .
Yes because

• To leave Belize, the current owner will have to have sorted all the paperwork out and paid any fees owning – this is not your problem as the buyer (I know of a couple of ex mooring boats that have owed money)
• You may have to pay Belize taxes if you buy it there, check this first,
• To buy a boat in Guatemala will not attract any taxes
• You can keep the boat in Guatemala for up to 2 years before you have to leave the country for 3 months
• There are plenty of delivery skippers available if you/the owner need one to bring it to Rio Dulce, it is only 40 miles away
• The boat can be brought back to Belize and remain there for up to 90 days only before it has to be imported or leaves the country before returning
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 11:11   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
90 days

Yes because

•To leave Belize, the current owner will have to have sorted all the paperwork out and paid any fees owning – this is not your problem as the buyer (I know of a couple of ex mooring boats that have owed money)
•You may have to pay Belize taxes if you buy it there, check this first,
•To buy a boat in Guatemala will not attract any taxes
•You can keep the boat in Guatemala for up to 2 years before you have to leave the country for 3 months
•There are plenty of delivery skippers available if you/the owner need one to bring it to Rio Dulce, it is only 40 miles away
•The boat can be brought back to Belize and remain there for up to 90 days only before it has to be imported or leaves the country before returning
Agree, best just to do the whole deal on the Rio. This way you have a high degree of confidence all matters were sorted out in Belize before being allowed to leave for Guate , vs the owner just telling you they are.

There are some resale restrictions on items imported under the QRP. I think the item must be held 2 years minimum before resale. Best to confirm so there are no gotcha's later.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize, boat, parts, shipping, used boat