Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-01-2012, 22:35   #31

Re: Shipping France to Australia

Hi there, I shipped my Salina 48 from France to South Africa as follows in 2010:

1) With delivery crew (2 skippers) from La Rochelle to Antwerp. Myself and girlfriend on board. Great little trip, fantastic ports to visit on 5 day trip.
2) De-masted and shrink wrapped in Antwerp, shipped with MACS in hold, no other cargo in hold except mast in cradle.
3) Discharged directly into water in Durban, motored to her mooring, re-masted and sailing 4 days later.
4) No damage.
5) No wear and tear and abuse by delivery crew whom you dont know.

My opinion:
1) Be very careful to buy anything from skipper delivery provider, mine sold me an old Epirb (two years old) at new price, me being a complete novice did not pick this up until I had eprib serviced. Big bucks to have unit serviced and had to replace auto activation unit.
2) Can highly recommend the following service providers: contact Nicolas Eeckhoud or he arranged everything in Antwerp including the taxi to take us to the airport.

Lloyds surveyor - NV Beeckman de Vos contact Roland Geyssens

Shrinkwrap your boat, the dirt during the voyage is crazy, also keeps unwanted hands off.

Use a surveyor and put him in charge at loading. Make sure everyone else knows he is in charge.

The stevedores that did our handling in Antwerp were highly competent.

Use a diver to secure slings.

Some shipping lines offer on deck shipping with mast up, do not recommend as three yachts that I know off have been lost overboard.

In the end, I got a brand new yacht to my home port with no damage in 21 days. Well worth the money.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2641sml.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	36539   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaDancer Starboard.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	36540  

marvt is offline   Reply With Quote