Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-01-2012, 05:02   #16

Re: Shipping France to Australia

Have you looked into Dockwise (Yacht Transport :: Dockwise :: Exceptional Transport Management)? The boat sails onto and off the ship - much less chance for dropping/damaging the boat during loading and offloading. Because of this they are also much faster - only 24 hours at each port as opposed to 3-4 days for regular cargo ships. Their prices are comparable to other shipping companies.
If you have the guts to wait until the last minute (about 2 weeks before ship's departure), you can get a VERY good deal, like 1/2 off.
They have good agents over the phone, and if you ask them to send you a quote, it won't change before the shipping date.
We were very pleased with them.

Old 23-01-2012, 06:02   #17

Boat: 33ft sloop

In 1980 I shipped a De Vrie Lentsch 16 mtr Motoryacht to S' pore for already 35K US$. At that time the US$ was 2.20 to the Dutch Florin.
The boat was welded into a cradle on deck of a general cargo vessel.
Today, those vessels are nearly extinct. A container vessel is not equipped for this sort of transports, neither is a bulkcarrier.
So, the soup is very thin.
I see a feasible route from Rotterdam/Amsterdam to S' pore by way of autocarrier. That is to be arranged. Remains the transport from France to one of these ports.
You have to arrange for a suitable cradle yourself.
Those car-carriers ferry between Asia and Amsterdam/Rotterdam.
Maybe you can check this angle of attack.

Old 23-01-2012, 06:15   #18

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Try some different shipping lines. Tell them you can move the pickup and destinations to suit. I am moving a mast and was easy to Singapore but more difficult to Hong Kong from Houston.

I see cement mixing trucks and all sorts of wonderful stuff moving on top of container ships in HK so cannot see that a more stable and lighter boat would be a problem.

Try China Shipping. Houston may be good. Try Peters and May based in the UK - they do not seem fazed by this sort of project.

Might need go drop off at an intermediate port and sail the rest of the way.
Old 23-01-2012, 06:36   #19

Dockwise costs a fortune ..... forget it. Only Megayacht fodder .......
Old 23-01-2012, 06:57   #20
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Shipping France to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armagh View Post
Expensive from Europe to Aus. Probably cannot get insurance if using Suez Canal. So, its the long way either Atlantic plus Pacific crossings, or around Cape of Good Hope. I'd say $50-60k if you are lucky, before spares/sail replacement etc
Try cutting that by at least half... unless your using the 'Big Boys..' if using an 'Independent' it'd be around$20k+expenses...
And sails will only be thrapped if driven to a time... most sail to instructions... which are usually times set by owners based on average hull speed... not reality...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 08:26   #21

Knocking up a suitable cradle should be very easily achieved with minimal welding skills and bit if steel.

I have seen two such cradles sold on eBay for less than 2k. Cost no more than 4k DIY - just need to know the container measurements to lock it down.
Old 23-01-2012, 09:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Dockwise costs a fortune ..... forget it. Only Megayacht fodder .......
When we (35' sailboat) and our friends (42' sailboat) were comparing the prices, the price difference between reg shipping and Dockwise was 5-10% depending on departure date. That was 1.5 years ago.

Reg shipping is less equipped to handle boats, as other posts point out. For us, much decreased risk of damage (even if insured) was worth the 5% price increase.
Old 23-01-2012, 09:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Knocking up a suitable cradle should be very easily achieved with minimal welding skills and bit if steel.

I have seen two such cradles sold on eBay for less than 2k. Cost no more than 4k DIY - just need to know the container measurements to lock it down.
I don't think that will satisfy the surveyor of the insurance coy. But that' s another story.
Old 23-01-2012, 10:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG

I don't think that will satisfy the surveyor of the insurance coy. But that' s another story.
Substantial cradle adequate for the task can be constructed by anyone. Just has to be good enough to pass the insurer inspection. No one is licensed for this purpose to my knowledge.
Old 23-01-2012, 11:16   #25

I've shipped some boats from the Far East and prices vary widely. I'd highly recommend getting a delivery quote on its own bottom from a reputable company.....they cover everything in plastic down below and write a report about the operating systems....just tell me where the boat is, where it has to go and give me some info on the boat.
Old 23-01-2012, 15:10   #26

Hello all, I'm negotiating to purchase (cruising cat) in the Med myself, view sail home the long way, after some Med cruising. I have plenty of time. The boat could be ready about mid May. My thinking have two or three bites of the cherry. I have looked at a couple of other boats over the last couple of years and canvassed the ferry options with Dockwise and with ferry skipper Graham Harris who was very helpful. At this stage I would like to flag an interest, thinking two or three boats together would be a good plan. There is no doubt that Med boats are incredible value at present, having had internet boats coming out my ears for the last couple of years and having tripped to S. Africa and the Caribbean looking.

From my researches there some risks with general shipping companies, particularly if you ship as deck cargo on a standard freighter. Damage and pilfering I heard tell of, second hand admittedly. Obviously there is no best way of ferry for everyone, it being a boat type and condition, time, cost and experience factoring problem, but I'm favouring a self ferry, maybe with paid help or skipper.
Old 26-01-2012, 23:24   #27

Boat: between boats

Thanks for all the replies guys - appreciate it.

Funnily enough with some negotiation the "cartel" have dropped their prices by 30% which puts them back in market vs other shippers at least. Amazing how volatile the quotes are though and it definitley pays to shop around.

I've seen quotes from between $18,000 (for delivery option) to $105,000 for a freighter via singapore and everything in between.

Im looking at delivery options now as the most affordable way (im in the sub $400k market alright) and like the idea of joining in on part of the passage as time allows to beef up the offshore skills but admit im a bit concerned about wear and tear with the wrong crew.

Any recommendations on reliable skippers much appreciated here!
Old 26-01-2012, 23:33   #28

Art Steffey on this forum :-) !
Old 27-01-2012, 01:07   #29

Boat: Lagoon 440

The south african leopards are delivered to the caribbean by delivery crews i know one of the skippers at wet and wild cruises in the Whitsundays does these deliveries on a as needed basis for Moorings etc. I'm sure they would be interested and as trustworthy as you'll get.
A good idea to join them on various legs in your own interest? Cheers Frank
Old 27-01-2012, 06:14   #30

Reliance Yacht Management are the largest yacht delivery company in the world.. I've done business with them for 15 years and can recommend them....

Tags
Australia, France, shipping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: