Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 11:12   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Shipping a cat

I am looking for advice when shipping a 12m (39’) cat on a ship. Any suggestions on what to do or not to do would be helpful. In addition the contracts (from several brokers) seem very consumer unfriendly. Any suggestions related to these or insurance coverage would also be useful.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:42   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Shipping a cat

From where to where? Inter-island, trans-Atlantic. Are you looking for a float-off, float-on transporter or deck cargo experience?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:53   #3
Marine Service Provider

From the Med to the Caribbean; either loading method is acceptable but float on is preferred. Cost is a larger factor.
Old 10-12-2017, 14:47   #4

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

If you go the cheaper deck cargo route, make sure when they load the boat it faces forward. Many cats are not that watertight at the saloon cockpit doors and windows and if the ship faces some serious weather your boat my have some soggy surprises when you open her up.

Sometimes they shrink wrap the superstructure.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 15:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Really excellent point. Thanks
Old 10-12-2017, 18:36   #6

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Pricing on dock wise will be cheapest a few days before sailing. Only works if your prepared to miss it if they fill up.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:29   #7

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Is there a reason you aren't considering having a crew sail it down? My guess is it would be far cheaper.

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:33   #8
Marine Service Provider

Actually the prices others I’ve talked to have paid and what I have been quoted says it’ll be at least twice as expensive plus all the wear and tear.
Old 12-12-2017, 00:56   #9
Marine Service Provider

I've been asked what I have been quoted to have a delivery crew bring her over. Most crews seem to quote based on days at sea and in port, transportation to boat and the like. It also varies with the number of crew that are being used. For me I would expect to pay over $40k for a 4 person crew that is experienced and I could trust including lay days and transportation based on what I've been quoted. A friend had his cat delivered to Maryland a couple of years ago from the Med and it cost him over $43k. In my friend's situation if voyage took longer then the price would go. The same would be true for me.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:05   #10

If comparing float on to deck, make sure to add up the ancillary costs.

With deck transport:
- Does the mast have to come down? How much to take it down and put back up? Is there an extra cost?
- Does the boat have to be hauled and trucked to the commercial port?
- How is the boat released from customs once at the destination port?
- Does it need a cradle?
- Are there any other fees for paperwork, processing or other stuff that someone unfamiliar might not be aware of?

I've heard the rumors about dockwise giving last minute deals to fill up space but I wasn't able to get them to give any idea of what to expect. I suspect, they much prefer pre-booking at the full price and don't want to encourage it by giving too many details ahead of time.

Agree, that having someone sail it across is not likely to come out much cheaper unless someone is cutting corners. 4 guys at $300/day for a 2 week crossing and you are already at $17k. Insurance, fuel, wear and tear, air tickets, etc... and yeah, $30-40k is very possible...plus the stress of worrying about the boat during the transport. (I do expect to see someone come back and say they can do it for a tiny fraction of the price but do your homework first).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:36   #11
Marine Service Provider

Hidden costs do worry me about shipping. The contracts and general terms I've seen are long (8 pages or more with tiny print), use convoluted language and terms I am not at all familiar with. They are clearly not consumer friendly and do not make me feel any less anxious.

Insurance is another issue. Pantaenius wants the transport insurance to meet certain criteria which are not obvious and then they will only supplement the transport coverage. The deductibles are high unless you pay an additional premium and even then can not be zeroed out so you are at risk no matter what you do its only a question of how much.

Regarding deliveries, what I would not want is a fixed price contract. Then there is an incentive to cut corners - going when you should stay in port or taking other risks that aren't good for boats.

Still in balance shipping seems my best bet.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:07   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Shipping a cat

I dont know who youve contacted about delivery on her own hull but the prices you have quoted seem excessive to me..
A Med to Caribbean delivery for your cat would be in the region of €8K to €14K depending which end of the Med the start point is..
For transporting on board a ship try contacting Sevenstar.. they do regular Med to US yacht deliveries

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I dont know who youve contacted about delivery on her own hull but the prices you have quoted seem excessive to me..
A Med to Caribbean delivery for your cat would be in the region of €8K to €14K depending which end of the Med the start point is..
For transporting on board a ship try contacting Sevenstar.. they do regular Med to US yacht deliveries

Here's a quote from FP for delivery of a new Lucia 40 from La Rochelle to New England, USA: Ocean Delivery Estimate - Crew, Provisions, Travel, Fuel € 17,940 $19,375
Old 12-12-2017, 04:59   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Shipping a cat

I should add..
The above is for skipper plus one crew.. obviously for each additional crew member there will be extra costs such as transport and provisioning and a little pocket money..
Theres a link in the picture below if you want to review past deliveries..
And.. I am never in a hurry..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I should add..
The above is for skipper plus one crew.. obviously for each additional crew member there will be extra costs such as transport and provisioning and a little pocket money..
Theres a link in the picture below if you want to review past deliveries..
And.. I am never in a hurry..
So that's what that picture is! ROTFLMAO - in all your posts I've never clicked on it, and didn't know you were a delivery skipper!

Good to know,
~Best regards,

Tags
shipping