Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 22:05   #1

Seychelles to Dubai on a Mahe 36

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of purchasing a mahe 36 in the Seychelles.

I live in Dubai and will eventually want to bring it back there after I'm done exploring the Seychelles.

Can anyone advise what's the best way to do this ? I'm relatively new to the sailing game.

Could I organise someone to ferry it back or would shipping it be a better idea ?

Thanks for your help !

dxbpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 23:53   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR
Re: Seychelles to Dubai on a Mahe 36

Shipping would be easier but probably more expensive. You would need to have a cradle built as well as they donít like loading boats without them. I shipped a large powerboat from the USA to Mozambique on its trailer.
As to sailing her to Dubai I think you have the risk of being close to Yemen coming up and I think the trade winds have turned so in the afternoon the predominant winds are from the north/ northeast but Iím not sure of that far north, making it beating into the wind the whole delivery. Possible but very uncomfortable.
I fetched my Leopard from Seychelles in July instead of waiting til August September and beat into the wind all the way south. (May June July is easier to go north and the Aug to May is easier going south)

MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 23:56   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I hope you have aircons in your boat or if not there are lots of suppliers in Dubai that can fit them. You will need to be on a walk on with shore power in Dubai and those aircons will need to be constantly running there. Your boat will be unbearable in summer without them.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
I hope you have aircons in your boat or if not there are lots of suppliers in Dubai that can fit them. You will need to be on a walk on with shore power in Dubai and those aircons will need to be constantly running there. Your boat will be unbearable in summer without them.
Itís not that hot in dubai all year around. In my house I only use AC six months of the year
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:13   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Its a pretty straightforward passage. I have sailed Seychelles to Muscat several times - just beware of the monsoon season. The Omani's are super friendly as well. The route is away from Yemen so no issues there. I would also notify the Omani Navy of your plans as they will likely keep an eye on you. There are a number of RN guys serving with the Roayl Omani Navy via the Loan Service - they are all very professional.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:26   #6

Boat: Anchor Yachts, Compass 47 "Enigma"

Why not: about 600 miles and can be done a little larger using the east route close to the maldives and indian coast,
gerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:48   #7

Thanks everyone for the replies.

After a trip down there to inspect the yacht, I've decided not to go ahead with the sale, as it needed a bit more work than first expected.

Was an informative trip though.

Found out that a decent ferry skipper will cost roughly 3000euro plus a flight back to get it from Seychelles to Dubai. As stated above they route via the maldives which avoids the Somali cost line.

This is good news if I want to keep the yacht in the Seychelles for the summer months out here.

Cheers,
Old 06-09-2018, 20:59   #8

Boat: 2008 Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36

Do you mind if I ask was the boat name "Montana" and if so what was wrong with it?
Lostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostgirl View Post
Do you mind if I ask was the boat name "Montana" and if so what was wrong with it?

Hi,

Yes it was. Went down there for a look at her. The guys there were very helpful but it's a charter boat and it's a bit rough around the edges.

The engines also have around 7000hours on them. Was looking for something I wouldn't have to spend any money on.

Pm me for more details
Old 07-09-2018, 12:38   #10

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

The one in Seychelles has been in charter for ten years in a remote 3rd world country, and has been for sale for at least two years now. So I wouldn't expect stellar condition

The one in Montenegro was a much better deal. The boat looked OK, some charter but not too much but even this deal had some quirks as well.
Sold for 89k Euro ex tax.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 18:29   #11

Alright, thanks very much for the information !

Tags
mahe 36, Seychelles