Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2007, 03:13   #16

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
While not wanting to start a dogfight, I also have experience and prefer the drogue to the sea anchor.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 10:18   #17

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
Would you share your experience why YOU prefer the drogue. And which one you used?

Thank you!
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 13:33   #18

Boat: Norseman 447
If your yacht sails around at anchor normally it will also do it while laying to a sea anchor, we added a small riding Sail to our wardrobe last year, it is Flat cut out of heavy PVC, and only cost a couple of Hundred dollars, As we have split Backstays we run it up our topping lift and tie the clew down to the front of the boom, Voila no more dancing around at anchor, would definitely use it if we ever have to deploy our Sea Anchor.
Having used a sea anchor hundreds of times as a commercial longline fisherman, I have learnt a few things about there deployment, All vessels already have a device for anchoring that should be strong enough for all conditions, just take your anchor off, shackle your sea anchor rode to the end of your anchor chain and pay out enough chain to get it clear of the boat, you can now use your normal anchor snubber to reduce shockloading if you want, No chance of chafe.
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 14:21   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sildene View Post
Dave, thanks for the detail.
Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 18:41   #20

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I've used a drogue on numerous occasions, never had a problem setting or retrieving it (by hand), it always worked as intended. Worst weather occasion 108 kn as measured by a nearby minesweeper. This came in behind a front with a 90 degree shift so for 6-8 hours the seas were very ugly, large breaking random pyramids.
I was on a P38 (nz production boat, very conservative), before the drogue we were rolled then knocked down several times beyond 90 degrees, with the drogue no further problems.
After that event I used one more and more frequently as it improved the ride and comfort level even in much less severe conditions.
Initially I used made up drogues: sails , tyres , whatever. Later I started shackling two anchors together at the head on their own rodes (chain then rope), I could take the rope tails to the primary winches and adjust the drag by trimming them in and out. This was superb, if I kept the speed to around 50% of hull speed it was very comfortable and felt very safe.
The other heavy weather technique I am fond of is heaving to if you are headed up wind. But eventually as the weather deteriorates I would choose to turn and run (searoom required).
This was all before the Jordan series was invented, when I first read of it I thought it was a natural progression of where I had been headed anyway, so I was keen to try it. but not so keen that I have deliberately gone looking for an opportunity, if you know what I mean.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 09:03   #21

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
.... This was superb, if I kept the speed to around 50% of hull speed it was very comfortable and felt very safe.
This was all before the Jordan series was invented, when I first read of it I thought it was a natural progression of where I had been headed anyway, so I was keen to try it. but not so keen that I have deliberately gone looking for an opportunity, if you know what I mean.
One thing about the Jordan series drogue vs a more traditional drogue (e.g. Galerider) is that the Jordan is designed to slow the boat radically. You might end up more like 0-2kts instead of the 3-5kts with a regular drogue. In some boats, this could negatively affect your steering and keel bite.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 09:26   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Drogues ????

I haven't had the opportunity to to need a drogue/shoot in a blow. I've only had to use a small drogue in big swells to slow the boat from surfing. It's a light weight IOR design w/ a large rudder and fin keel. My question does a drogue in a heavy blow and a large following sea affect the rudder.

One thing that I'm careful with is backing up, it really puts a stain on the rudder. If I'm being slowed dramitically going up the face of a large swell, I'd fear the chance of back sliding, damaging the rudder. I would think Cats would have the same problem????

I did like the idea of the "Seabrake" that I D mentioned w/ variable speeds.
Old 20-09-2007, 11:08   #23

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
I too like the concept of the Seabrake device. The information on their website looks excellent, but I would like to know what experience people have, rather than just relying on advertising. The simplicity and multi functionality (particularly the rocker-stopper effect) is also a plus. My limited experience with a rocker-stopper type device suggests that they might work better on a multihull (trimaran) than a monohull (the motion is slower, and the beam is wider).

I realize they do entirely different functions, but to start with, I plan to get one drogue or anchor type device, and then consider which other (and if) to get later. Unfortunately, you cannot use the same rode for both types, since the para-anchor needs high stretch, and the seabrake needs low stretch.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 18:16   #24

Boat: s/v Sildene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
One thing about the Jordan series drogue vs a more traditional drogue (e.g. Galerider) is that the Jordan is designed to slow the boat radically. You might end up more like 0-2kts instead of the 3-5kts with a regular drogue. In some boats, this could negatively affect your steering and keel bite.

Paul L
Good point. In some accounts of Jordan deployments I have read, the boat is slowed down so much the crew retires to the cabin - ie. no steering actually required.

If you want more boat speed to hand steer, (pure speculation) it may be possible to 'adjust' the drag by letting out fewer than the full complement of series drogue cones - eg. if you have 120 cones, but let out only 80, you would think you'd get a higher boat speed.

Martin
sildene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 09:00   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildene View Post
Good point. In some accounts of Jordan deployments I have read, the boat is slowed down so much the crew retires to the cabin - ie. no steering actually required.

If you want more boat speed to hand steer, (pure speculation) it may be possible to 'adjust' the drag by letting out fewer than the full complement of series drogue cones - eg. if you have 120 cones, but let out only 80, you would think you'd get a higher boat speed.

Martin
I'm not sure it would be practical to adjust the number of exposed cones. You still need to get the cones trailing fairly far behind the boat and you aren't going to be doing this in easy conditions. I am planning on having some more like Galerider drogue. This will let the boat to make some forward movement while avoiding excessive broaching speeds. Another advantage of the Galerider approach is you do not need to take up the storage space of the long line of the Jordan drogue that cannot be used for any other purpose.

Paul L
Old 21-09-2007, 09:45   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
. Another advantage of the Galerider approach is you do not need to take up the storage space of the long line of the Jordan drogue that cannot be used for any other purpose.

Paul L
I agree with that.

Also, could one place an "insert" into the Galerider and call it the equivalent of a parachute??
Old 21-09-2007, 09:46   #27

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
I've just ordered a Jordan series drogue. I hope I never post my experience with it because I'd rather not be in a position where I need it. That said, 'retiring to the cabin' sounds just fine to me!!!
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 10:00   #28

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Maybe this artical should be read by ALL!!!!

Quote:
There is very compelling evidence to show that while a well found boat will survive a storm in non-breaking waves, none of the above tactics will prevent capsize in a breaking wave strike.”
U.S. Coast Guard Report CG-D-20-87 sec1-1
http://seriesdrogue.com/vs/
Old 21-09-2007, 10:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I agree with that.

Also, could one place an "insert" into the Galerider and call it the equivalent of a parachute??
I think you'll find that the size of a drogue is much smaller than a sea-anchor parachute type anchor meant for deploying off the bow. If you want both capabilities, you'll need to carry both.

Paul L
Old 21-09-2007, 10:54   #30

Quote:
I think you'll find that the size of a drogue is much smaller than a sea-anchor parachute type anchor meant for deploying off the bow. If you want both capabilities, you'll need to carry both.

Paul L
Dang!.............

Tags
drogue