Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 13:20   #31
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
jzk - your posting was insulting and also irrelevant to this thread - ssullivan wasn't asking for your (or anyone else's opinion) on how to run a business, but rather some suggestions on locating a cat that he could reasonably afford.

ssullivan I suspect that the Polynesian Cats would not suit your purpose - from the appearance, there is no entry from the bridgedeck accomodation into the hulls.

The Solaris mentioned by carbnsol looks to be in pretty decent shape and is also listed at 2hulls.com at only $79,900.00. Carbnsol and I both own Solaris Sunstream 40's - a rather different design. However, the 36 listed here seems similar to the early Solaris 44 which has a reputation for being unable to tack without using the iron jenny.

That being said, you can determine that with a test sail. I can say that the 40's were built to Llloyd's offshore standards (as were the later Sunrise 36's) and this means a very strong boat. I suspect that the same was true of this boat. Yes, this adds weight (and reduces performance), but there is something reassuring about tempered glass windows instead of thin sheets of plexi or polycarbonate etc., etc.

By way of comparison, there is a PDQ 36 ( a boat with a well-deserved reputation for good quality construction) on the hard beside my boat. My Sunstream 40 was simply plopped down on a couple of 2x6's, whereas the PDQ had to have 6 jackstands adjusted under the bridgedeck in order to reduce flex. Apparently if left only her keels, you are unable to open the interior doors in the PDQ.

The cutter rig has its proponents and certainly has some advantages: it ensures that all lines are led directly from the mast into the cockpit; it provides a separate staysail stay for both a staysail and storm jib, very useful in extreme conditions; it keeps the main to a moderate size which permits easier hoisting and trimming, etc.; it keeps the mast and therewith the center of effort of the rig somewhat lower (important, especially in a relatively narrow cat). It will certainly not provide the light air performance of the more current fractional rigs, however. Note that Prout built a huge number of boats with an identical rig, and that their successor Broadblue still makes the cutter rig available as an option on at least the 385 model.

The rather square edged coachouse may not be very modern in appearance, however it will provide some additional deck seating areas should you be looking at day charters. Further, the full bow pulpit (never seen on modern cats) provides added security for you clumsy charter parties. So far so good. Unfortunately, the specifications refer only to a single Ford diesel and hence, I suspect, a drive that protrudes from under the already low bridgedeck.

The windshield is a plus in wet conditions and the cockpit is also well protected in all directions. Unfortunately, the bridgedeck and foredeck seem to go fairly far forward in this design. Again, a negative when going upwind in heavy conditions (albeit great for lounging).

Still, if you are looking at a boat for chartering you could do much worse. The only stress cracks on my 1994 Sunstream 40 are on the lid for the propane locker - they really can take a pounding. And while the beam is especially narrow on this model of 36, it is similar to the Prouts of that era and can actually be docked in many slips designed for modern monohulls. The Solaris also has the advantage of at least some bouyancy aft in the hulls and a much nicer bridgedeck cabin layout that the Prout.

Have you given any thought to a Gemini? No doubt a better sailing ( if less solid boat) and the forward cabin would be ideal for charter guests. In any event, I have little doubt that you can find something that suits your needs in the 60-90,000 range although I am, as I already indicated, more than a little suspicious of boats at your preferred price of under $35,000.00. Keep us posted.

Brad
Old 08-02-2008, 14:55   #32

A Different Kind of Polynesia

This one has been around for quite a while and has had several price reductions. So, there may be something wrong with it. But then, maybe it's a good deal and there aren't any takers because it's not a popular brand. Since you're already in south Florida:

1990 ACTE MARINE Polynesia Boat For Sale=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Renu.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	2628  
Old 08-02-2008, 15:16   #33
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Sean, I have no doubt about your ability as a bussness man/salesman- if you get this thing rolling and run into anyone whos looking for a charter in the Eastern Med send them my way and I will give you a cut!
Old 08-02-2008, 15:36   #34
CF Adviser

PS I'd certainly want to check out the 'Ford' diesel in the Solaris - I suspect it is a British product and likely parts in North America would be a nightmare to obtain. This is extremely important as, if it is like the Solaris 44 upon which it seems to be modelled, I also suspect you'd need to do a fair bit of motoring upwind.
Old 08-02-2008, 16:12   #35
CF Adviser

Just noticed a 30 foot 'custom' cat at 2hulls.com that is actually an Iroquois. Great performance and, if it is the boat I know from Georgian Bay about 12 years ago, it was a fesh water boat only and decently maintained. From the photos you'll need to replace the typically saggy vinyl headliner (although that is common to early Geminis, Prouts, Solaris, Privilege etc. The only thing I can't figure is the draft, which is shown at 5' minimum and maximum ( I wonder if these means that the boards have been fixed in the down position).

Yes it is further than you want to go, but you can the Trent/Severn Canal system from where the boat is located, down to Lake Ontario and then the Erie canal to the Hudson to NYC in about 10 days. The tabernacle mast would certainly ease the canal transits.

They have done Atlantic crossings (not something I would recommend, however) and as I recall, actually won the round Britain race. The cockpit is a decent size as is the netting forward. Is it worth $32,500.00? Likely no. But she comes in under $35,000.00, will sail very well and has decent deck space for about 6 day trippers.

Brad
Old 10-02-2008, 02:37   #36

Boat: Woods/Coplan Boats (SA) Ocean Spirit 34
Years ago I was in the same situation, desperate for a multihull, I bought projects and old boats that needed loads of money and lot of work.

Finally I realised precious time of my younger days was passing and I was stuck with hard and difficult work which could give me health problems.
I financed and bought a Prout 39(also known as Prout Manta). It does need a little cosmetic work because a family lived in it for years but it is a dream boat, it has all the top quality gear I would ever need....like 500watts solar panels, electric sail winch, twin 30hp Yanmars with maxprops, 1800amp/hr batteries, full entertainment unit, marine washing machine, maxi roach sail system, etc etc etc. Kids have a mvix mediagate
with 100s of movies and their Playstations etc..
There is no way I would have been able to setup a 1/2 built or rundown boat with all this gear in a few years, leave alone being able to afford it.

While not fast we do get good performance out of the boat,(7 knots is not too difficult to achieve and have gotten over 8.5 many times). We have spent 2 summers on it and cruising life is so nice.

I guess what I am saying is all the years of looking I could not find a cheap boat that didnt need a lot of work and money.
My take is, if one can afford to raise the funds then just do it, while you are young or younger....and enjoy the cruising life.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:52   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCF View Post
This is basic business 101. One day I will reveal the secret.

J
I will not address this line of the thread anymore (no more insults please), save for one comment:

A profitable business is not made by increasing revenue at any cost. Look up the history of Ford Motors, most defunct dot coms, all the telco's that put in the fiber in the 90's, etc... etc... They all over-spent to greatly increase their company's infrastructure for the landslide of customers that were sure to come. (build it and they will come! mentality)

Where are these companies now?

The poster above this post is from NY. Hasn't that area taught you anything about business? Do you have a business running in New York? It's certainly not an area where people expand businesses willy nilly hoping customers will show up. It's not in the culture. You must be an import to the area I'm thinking.

Anyway, you did come across as a SeaRay owner. lol I'll try to forgive though. Be nicer on the forum.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:53   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
This one has been around for quite a while and has had several price reductions. So, there may be something wrong with it. But then, maybe it's a good deal and there aren't any takers because it's not a popular brand. Since you're already in south Florida:

1990 ACTE MARINE Polynesia Boat For Sale=
Heavy delam issues. Saw it.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:57   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Sean, I have no doubt about your ability as a bussness man/salesman- if you get this thing rolling and run into anyone whos looking for a charter in the Eastern Med send them my way and I will give you a cut!

Thanks, Ram. I suspected you were just playing devil's advocate which is ok. That's why I didn't respond with anything more than a little but of my history of chartering to back it up. I do have a very unique thing going on this time around. I just can't share it until it's up and running.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:58   #40
cruiser

And... thanks everyone for the input. I have located a boat and have an offer and deposit in on it. I can reveal more (and surely will!) once the boat gets to closing. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:01   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtwin View Post
Years ago I was in the same situation, desperate for a multihull, I bought projects and old boats that needed loads of money and lot of work.

Finally I realised precious time of my younger days was passing and I was stuck with hard and difficult work which could give me health problems.
I financed and bought a Prout 39(also known as Prout Manta). It does need a little cosmetic work because a family lived in it for years but it is a dream boat, it has all the top quality gear I would ever need....like 500watts solar panels, electric sail winch, twin 30hp Yanmars with maxprops, 1800amp/hr batteries, full entertainment unit, marine washing machine, maxi roach sail system, etc etc etc. Kids have a mvix mediagate
with 100s of movies and their Playstations etc..
There is no way I would have been able to setup a 1/2 built or rundown boat with all this gear in a few years, leave alone being able to afford it.

While not fast we do get good performance out of the boat,(7 knots is not too difficult to achieve and have gotten over 8.5 many times). We have spent 2 summers on it and cruising life is so nice.

I guess what I am saying is all the years of looking I could not find a cheap boat that didnt need a lot of work and money.
My take is, if one can afford to raise the funds then just do it, while you are young or younger....and enjoy the cruising life.
Good advice.

I suppose I should update my profile maybe so people know where I come from in the boating world. I'm not a first timer. I'll update my profile. It helps with questions like these, I think to know where someone has been.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:21   #42

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
I have located a boat and have an offer and deposit in on it.
Good luck with the offer and possible purchase. And good luck with your business venture. I seem to remember Valerie D'Elia talking on WOR radio(I am a big fan of talk radio) about your last charter business.

Good luck man,
Paul
Old 10-02-2008, 05:43   #43
cruiser

Hey Paul,

WOW... you remember that? She did indeed. She came out on the last charter business and did a segment on NY1 (which also went to several upstate TV news channels) with our old charter business.

I guess my little marketing secret from last time is out of the bag. ha ha

Man, I gotta say... I miss you NYers. You're allright. Well, at least I married a nice South Shore girl. ha ha
Old 10-02-2008, 05:43   #44
CF Adviser

Good luck to be sure! We eagerly await your report on what you ended up buying.

Brad
Old 10-02-2008, 05:52   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Good luck to be sure! We eagerly await your report on what you ended up buying.

Brad
Thanks, Brad. Your input was a big part of the decision making process. Thanks for taking the time to post all that thorough information. It was very helpful to me and probably will be to people in the future reading the threads.
Closed Thread