Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 19:26   #31

Re: Sell Boat 'as Is' Or Do It Up?

I was on this boat two weeks ago. My wife and I have been looking for 5 years, carefully evaluating different boats, going to the boat shows in Newport and Annapolis. We knew that FP's and Lagoons weren't for us, not bad boats, but their purpose is for charter, drink in hand, day sailing. I'm not interested in being in an exposed helm position. We did not think they were suited for the blue water work we were looking for our boat to do. For us safety is #1. We had read a ton a of great things about Privilege, but had never been on one. They haven't shown in the U.S. for several years. So when we saw that Mike & Jean were cruising the East coast USA (we live in Boston), I dropped an email to them to ask to see their boat. Here's the god honest truth- as my wife and I were walking down the docks to see Jeannius, we saw her, and both stopped dead in our tracks....her presence was astounding. We'd both seen a lot of multi's, but the power, the elegence, the clear strength of the boat was obvious from 300ft away. I said to my wife "WOW! She's impressive." My wife said "I hadn't expected- It's unlike anything I've ever seen before". These Privileges are the real deal. I don't care whather it's been in charter or not. It was everything I hoped it would be. Sure, she had a few bangs and bumps, but Mike, Jean, don't underestimate your boat. I'd take your 11 year boat over a new FP or Lagoon any day.
SV Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 19:31   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 321 - 32'

I vote for cleaning up really good, take out the clutter, make it look bigger by doing so. If there are some cosmetic things you can do for little money, I'd go for it, but not major spending. Just be sure it will look good for the prospective buyers - and have all equipment and motors in working order when they come to look.
sloopygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 20:11   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Wings View Post
I was on this boat two weeks ago. My wife and I have been looking for 5 years, carefully evaluating different boats, going to the boat shows in Newport and Annapolis. We knew that FP's and Lagoons weren't for us, not bad boats, but their purpose is for charter, drink in hand, day sailing. I'm not interested in being in an exposed helm position. We did not think they were suited for the blue water work we were looking for our boat to do. For us safety is #1. We had read a ton a of great things about Privilege, but had never been on one. They haven't shown in the U.S. for several years. So when we saw that Mike & Jean were cruising the East coast USA (we live in Boston), I dropped an email to them to ask to see their boat. Here's the god honest truth- as my wife and I were walking down the docks to see Jeannius, we saw her, and both stopped dead in our tracks....her presence was astounding. We'd both seen a lot of multi's, but the power, the elegence, the clear strength of the boat was obvious from 300ft away. I said to my wife "WOW! She's impressive." My wife said "I hadn't expected- It's unlike anything I've ever seen before". These Privileges are the real deal. I don't care whather it's been in charter or not. It was everything I hoped it would be. Sure, she had a few bangs and bumps, but Mike, Jean, don't underestimate your boat. I'd take your 11 year boat over a new FP or Lagoon any day.
Then why dont you???:banghea d:
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:36   #34

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
Then why dont you???:banghea d:
George... Sadly, for me, they are in the fortunate position of being able to look for bigger - and newer - so you Privilege 495 owners out there start getting your boats ready!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:38   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

My vote goes for 'no do up'. Just empty and clean and with all systems either fully functional (or else removed).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 19:04   #36

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Wings View Post
Sorry mate ... disagree about Lagoons and FP's. We are sailing around the world just fine on ours and it is anything BUT a boat for charter and drinks in hand ... our boat is as serious a cruiser as you will find out there ... according to a number of cruisers who visit our boat ... it's all in the 'set up of the vessel'.
Having said that, we totally agree that Mike and Jean have a fantastic cruising boat which is one we too liked very much. Undoubtedly, their boat is going to make some couple very happy and we are just sad to see a stunning couple in Mike and Jean leaving the water ...
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:25   #37

Re: Sell Boat 'As Is' or Do It Up?

My apologies if I offended anyone with my comments on FP's and Lagoons. I don't have the practical experience to make these statements. There are certainly many of them making impressive passages.
SV Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
My vote goes for 'no do up'. Just empty and clean and with all systems either fully functional (or else removed).

b.
Clean it up as best as you can, removing your stuff vs staging it is the big question.

It shouldn't take more than a day or two, but as a seller it would be a good thing. As a potential buyer, I would like finding a great boat that needs a day or two of cleaning though if the price was right. I can do cleaning and replacing fabric/torn vinyl, bad floors, etc.

And get some great photos. That is the one problem I have with a lot of listings. Both inside and out, and underway from a shore, bridge, or another boat.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote