Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2012, 17:02   #1

Seeking a Trimaran Project

Dear Sailors,
Im currently looking to purchase my first trimaran and I would love to find a good project to work on
Could you guys recomend me any website to monitor?
I would also be glad to receive direct offers!
So far my budget is up to 15k.

Thank you very much!

--
Olivier
omalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 17:05   #2

Boat: Endeavour 43
Re: Seeking a Trimaran Project

There is one at Riverside marina in Fort Pierce, Florida
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 18:10   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44

I guess the fist question I have is what size are you looking at? If you're looking for something like a daysailer with a camping option, you might consider building one. I'm building a Seaclipper 20 now. It's going fairly quickly, I measured and cut the ama sides and bulkheads in one day. there are larger versions but this can be built in an empty two car garage. Its going to cost about 3.5k for mine, a 24' would be around 5-10k

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 04:57   #4

Hello Maren,
I'm looking for something a little bigger such as 30' - 35' as live-aboard is my main focus. And I do not hold necessaries skills to build one from craft :/
Is there any website dedicated to restauration project? Any used boat website to recomend me?
Thanks a lot, wish you the best on your project
Old 17-10-2012, 05:00   #5

There are lots of Piver and Horstmann designs out there needing love. Craigslist is a good start
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 05:28   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dont forget piver and cross and brown --his sea runners were sweet boats.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 14:11   #7

Boat: Farrier TT720, Windrider 17

First question, what area are looking at?
There are a number of old tris at Napa Marina in CA.
Also a Searunner on Ebay, not a project but a heck of a nice boat.
trisailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 17:15   #8

Hi Sailors!
Thanks a lot for your replies and advices
My main focus is liveaboard possibilites. Following zeehag and tamif advices I've just found a Piver 30' at quiet fair price available in south of Spain (I live in EU at the moment).
Well, the owner told me that water get through hatches and portholes, hulls are flooded and the boat also need a new sail..
However, the price Ive been told is € 7.500 (roughly $11.000) and an additional $ 5.000 estimated cost to make it back to life. On short term mindset I think it worth it.. But im now wondering how reliable will be a 70' wood boat once sailing the ocean? Do you guys think it can make it or not? Is there any specifical point I should watch out with atention before to go for it?

Thanks again! And have a sunny day
Old 17-10-2012, 18:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by omalet View Post
Hi Sailors!
My main focus is liveaboard possibilites. Following zeehag and tamif advices I've just found a Piver 30' at quiet fair price available in south of Spain (I live in EU at the moment).
Well, the owner told me that water get through hatches and portholes, hulls are flooded and the boat also need a new sail..
However, the price Ive been told is € 7.500 (roughly $11.000) and an additional $ 5.000 estimated cost to make it back to life. On short term mindset I think it worth it.. But im now wondering how reliable will be a 70' wood boat once sailing the ocean? Do you guys think it can make it or not? Is there any specifical point I should watch out with atention before to go for it?

You spend your money and take your chances...big chances with a wooden boat...real big if the boat is plywood!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 21:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by omalet View Post
Hi Sailors!

Have the seller provide quotes (cost estimates) for having the work done to fix everything.

Hulls being flooded and it needing new sails would be red flags (red cards? in the EU) for me. If the hulls were bad, then forget about it.

Look at a bunch of different boats and take your time. Have a firm timeframe for how much time you are willing to put into fixing it up, how long it will take contractors to do the repairs, and price amounts not to go over. Since it doesn't do you much good if you spend more money fixing the boat up, rather than buying the other boat that is already fixed up. Unless you find a real deal, and then there are usually bigger problems.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 00:12   #11

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

HI Omalet
If you can get a Searunner with good hulls. These are Great live aboard tris and offshore boats. Highly recommend you to get a Searunner.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 01:55   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
You spend your money and take your chances...big chances with a wooden boat...real big if the boat is plywood!
If she has been flooded, and especially from rainwater then being plywood she will be fooked beyond viable repair.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 05:11   #13

Hi Sundevil,

I guess you are right, I will take some more time to evaluate a bunch of different boats as this one might be tricky.. Im ready to invest some time in it but not enter a never ending process :/
Thanks for your advices
Old 18-10-2012, 05:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad
HI Omalet
If you can get a Searunner with good hulls. These are Great live aboard tris and offshoreoats. Highly recommend you to get a Searunner.
Hi Rossad!

Thanks for your advice, Im gona look after one of them lets see if I can find a good oportunity..
I like this design quiet a lot actually and I just find out there is many of them available for sale in europe
Have a great day!