Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2012, 15:14   #1

Seawind V Lagoon, Leopard, Fountaine Pajot

I’m interested in any thoughts or previous experience on the strength and durability of the European and South African cats compared to the Australian Seawinds catamarans? We are looking at the 38 – 44 foot range for live aboard for a few years and sailing to various ports all over the world.
Thanks in advance.
Traveler2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 15:28   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Seawind V Lagoon, Leopard, Fountaine Pajot

Seawinds are generally a better built boat with great customer service. They will also outsail these others generally speaking.
The downside is they only make smaller boats. A 1250 is only about 41' and there are not many of these so you'll probably be looking at an 1160 or smaller but there are a few 1200s as well. If you want a 44 you will have to go with a different brand.
May I suggest the Maine Cat 41. Also Outremer has a few in the 40 to 45' range and are well regarded.
Old 13-04-2012, 15:44   #3

We have charted a couple of 1160's and really like them. We will try at 1250 as well. I think that will be big enough for us. The owner of the charter company said Seawinds have “Poverty Pack” fittings and said we should go for a Leopard instead. I like how the doors open up on the Seawind and it’s like having a big veranda. We’ve had some great sailing days on the 1160.
We’ve looked through Leopard, Lagoons and Fountaine Pajots but never charted one. I think we need to try them out. . Hmmm decisions, decisions.
Old 13-04-2012, 16:50   #4

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Definitely charter a Leopard and you will know which vessel is for you.

Happy chartering.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 18:26   #5

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

Don't forget Voyage, go charter one of those. A well built South African cat that the Leopard company used the same designer for many years. The 44 is a great boat and the 50, now the new 52 is awesome.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 18:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2012 View Post
I’m interested in any thoughts or previous experience on the strength and durability of the European and South African cats compared to the Australian Seawinds catamarans? We are looking at the 38 – 44 foot range for live aboard for a few years and sailing to various ports all over the world.
Thanks in advance.
Your in Australia Seawind is a great well built boaty far better than the mass produced frenchies---Maybe theres a ORAN 44 you could get ??
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 20:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2012 View Post
We have charted a couple of 1160's and really like them. We will try at 1250 as well. I think that will be big enough for us. The owner of the charter company said Seawinds have “Poverty Pack” fittings and said we should go for a Leopard instead. I like how the doors open up on the Seawind and it’s like having a big veranda. We’ve had some great sailing days on the 1160.
We’ve looked through Leopard, Lagoons and Fountaine Pajots but never charted one. I think we need to try them out. . Hmmm decisions, decisions.
Obviously I avoid threads like these given my apparent bias.

But I find that statement to be strange. All fittings are quality brands, eg harken, ronstan, spinlock etc. If he meant standard inclusions, as far as I know the 1250 is the only boat in the world that comes standard with a water maker, twin engine controls etc.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 20:49   #8

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

But I find that statement to be strange. All fittings are quality brands, eg harken, ronstan, spinlock etc. If he meant standard inclusions, as far as I know the 1250 is the only boat in the world that comes standard with a water maker, twin engine controls etc.
Yes, the 1250 is better fitted out than most.

Just check out the specs.

Seawind Catamarans

The prestigious 41ft Seawind 1250 Platinum XPac (Trans Pacific) luxury cruising catamaran has a premium array of standard features suitable for crossing the Pacific or luxurious onwater living - straight out of the box! These new additional features now include:

Watermaker (54 Ltrs / Hr)

Washing Machine

• Aqualuma Underwater Transom Lights

• Mastervolt 2500W Inverter & 100amp Battery Charger

Electric Harken sheet winch

• Dual Teleflex Engine Controls on each Helm

• Forward Deck Lounge Cushions & Back Rests

Cockpit Targa Cushions

• Cruising Laminate Performance Mainsail

• Cruising Laminate Performance Jib

Raymarine AIS Receiver

Raymarine Autopilot

• Raymarine Chartplotter - iPad Compatible

• Raymarine Multifunctional Displays - iPad Compatible

• Raymarine Windvane - iPad Compatible

• Leather Upholstery on all Saloon Cushions
With this standard configuration, the Seawind 1250 Platinum XPac is the most comprehensively specified production cruising catamaran in the world, reinforcing its blue water credentials and high quality focus.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 02:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

I don't think he had a problem with the major fittings I think he was more annoyed at and refering to the smaller fittings that fell apart:- Transom shower head, water tap filter and the clip on flyscreens. I dont know if there was anything else to sour his outlook on Seawinds in general??
Old 14-04-2012, 02:45   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Clip on flyscreens are made by Gebo, the people that make the hatches. Not sure how we can do better than that.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 03:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Don't forget Voyage, go charter one of those. A well built South African cat that the Leopard company used the same designer for many years. The 44 is a great boat and the 50, now the new 52 is awesome.
The Voyage Cats are very impressive! I might have to rob a bank and buy a 52!

I dont know if I will come accross on here in Austalia or not?

Thanks.
Old 14-04-2012, 18:32   #12

[QUOTE=Traveler2012;930697]
The owner of the charter company said Seawinds have “Poverty Pack” fittings and said we should go for a Leopard instead.

Please ask the charter which Seawind fittings were "poverty pack". I'd be surprised if any aspect of a Leopard ( or Lagoon or FP, for that matter) was of superior quality to a Seawind.
The main drawback of Seawinds is their price. If you can afford the price of a Seawind 1250 Platinum Pack, I doubt that you'll be disappointed with the fittings. Factor may disagree, but you are paying very serious money for the 1250 Platinum, which could buy some excellent alternatives. Think custom layouts and fit outs, carbon chain plates, dagger boards, electric winches and furlers, etc. Or a Leopard and a fair bit of spare cash.
Before you look seriously at an older (Simonis designed) Leopard or Voyage cat go out on one and try motoring into a 1.5 - 2.0 metre head sea and experience the bridge deck slap. I have only tried one newer (Morelli and Melvin) Leopard, and it, a 46', seemed much improved over the older designs due to substantially increased bridge deck clearance.
It always comes back to money and compromise. Seawinds are excellent sailing cruisers. For the same amount of money however, at the moment you could buy a larger and more spacious Leopard, Lagoon or FP, that would probably be more comfortable at anchor, but would get there more slowly. Your choice.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 11:28   #13

Boat: Seawind - 1160

We spent the last 4 years living aboard a Seawind 1160 sailing about 8,000 miles along the US East Coast and the Bahamas every winter. We regularly sailed by Lagoons, Leopard etc. Often times we ound the other cats especially Lagoons motoring because their massive hulls take a lot of wind to move them. With our screecher we could easily sail in 5-10 knots. Every time we hauled out for bottom jobs or hull waxing we were grateful for only being 38.4 feet in length.

Health issues have forced us off the water so if you want a Seawind at a large discount buy ours in the US ($100,000 less than in OZ) and have it shipped home.

www.Doublewidecat.com
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 12:51   #14

Yes - I always suspected those Lagoon condomarans were pretty much motor sailors :vik ing:
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 15:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Wide View Post
We spent the last 4 years living aboard a Seawind 1160 sailing about 8,000 miles along the US East Coast and the Bahamas every winter. We regularly sailed by Lagoons, Leopard etc. Often times we ound the other cats especially Lagoons motoring because their massive hulls take a lot of wind to move them. With our screecher we could easily sail in 5-10 knots. Every time we hauled out for bottom jobs or hull waxing we were grateful for only being 38.4 feet in length.

Health issues have forced us off the water so if you want a Seawind at a large discount buy ours in the US ($100,000 less than in OZ) and have it shipped home.

www.Doublewidecat.com
Thanks for the info. It does seem that most people are preferable to the Seawinds. We do like the 1160. How funny, I actually had a look at your catamaran on the internet yesterday! It looks nice. I don't think we can get serious until next year. We are selling our business. We do have a couple of interested parties but until it is actually sold our hands are tied. I will keep an eye on it though . Good luck selling in the mean time.

Tags
fountaine pajot, lagoon, leopard, Seawind