Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2015, 07:03   #46

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Apparently they employed someone who knew how to trim sail.
I always had trouble just trimming one sail.

I always had better trimming all my sails.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 12:43   #47

Quote:
Apparently they employed someone who knew how to trim sail.
I can assure you ,ignorance of correct sail trim, is not the issue.

You may be interested in reading 1160 "Scarletts" blog for more thoughts on sailing an 1160 to windward.

After a 10,000 NM sail, the owner stated Quote "We have found that with our engines on we do pretty well to windward, notwithstanding the reputation of catamarans going into the breeze." Unquote.

The blog may be interesting for those buying. Linkhttp://www.scarlettsailing.net/SCARLETT/Home.html
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 13:36   #48

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post

You may be interested in reading 1160 "Scarletts" blog for more thoughts on sailing an 1160 to windward.

After a 10,000 NM sail, the owner stated Quote "We have found that with our engines on we do pretty well to windward, notwithstanding the reputation of catamarans going into the breeze." Unquote.

The blog may be interesting for those buying. Linkhttp://www.scarlettsailing.net/SCARLETT/Home.html
Quite a long blog and the quotation you posted was not obvious. I did read a little and a lot of it was praise of how well they were treated at the Seawind factory.

Not saying they did not post what you quoted, just that you did not link to an easy place to find it. It would be nice to have a little more context, given that your quotation does say "notwithstanding the reputation of catamarans going into the breeze".
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 18:59   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
I dont have any data on the Yamahas as plan to use the 20hp Honda's which consume 7 Litres (1.8 gallon) p/h at 5650 rpm. This equates to a run time of around 111 hours (200 Gallon tank) at full revs (5650 rpm), or 55 hours per engine. (about a 400 Nautical mile range depending on sea state), however I hardly ever run outboards above 3000 rpm so expect to get better than the 1.8 gallon per hour.

This is not first hand experienced but data provided by boating tests on line. Will post once I have some time on the water of actual rates.

cheers
Andrew
We generally run our Honda 20's at around 3600 - 4200 RPM.

On one motor we do around 5.5 knots at 3800 RPM, using about 2 litres per hour. Two engines at 3800 is around 6.8 knots, using maybe 1.8 litres per hour per motor. (The engines reach 3800 on less throttle with both running)

Both motors at full throttle we do around 9.5 knots, at around 5800 rpm. Probably using 15 litres per hour total. We don't do this often, or for long.

Our overall consumption is about 1.5 litres per hour per motor, which includes a fair bit of engines just idling while anchoring etc.

This is on a longer but probably lighter boat, but might be useful as an indicator of roughly what you might expect.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 20:18   #50

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:

I Guess these guys also can't sail to windward.....

Alan Hunter Skippers Talisker to Victory - Seawind Catamarans
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 13:00   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:

Wow, you really do have an issue don't you. I have read Scarlett's Blog, I have sailed Scarlett, I know Craig and Kerry on Scarlett very well, simply because they chose to sail in a certain way on a heavily loaded boat does not mean that others cannot not achieve different results on a later boat with a lot more composite construction and a lot less weight.

But matter for yourself really, I mean you forum name says it all about your desire to prosecute an agenda, as for incorrect trimming not being the issue, well I have no idea who you are so I am unable to determine whether or not you have a clue.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 19:01   #52

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite 2016

Quote:

On one motor we do around 5.5 knots at 3800 RPM, using about 2 litres per hour. Two engines at 3800 is around 6.8 knots, using maybe 1.8 litres per hour per motor. (The engines reach 3800 on less throttle with both running)

Both motors at full throttle we do around 9.5 knots, at around 5800 rpm. Probably using 15 litres per hour total. We don't do this often, or for long.
Hi 44'Çruising
I am still debating whether to get the upgrade to 25 Yamaha on my ordered Lite due next year. Do you have any general thoughts on this and how you find the Hondas. Are they 20hp?
Many Thanks
Aushammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 20:18   #53

Yeah, mine are 20hp. I've generally been happy with them. It's disappointing that (plated) mild steel is used for some of the little brackets on these motors though. Not serious bits, but things like cable hangers etc. They should be stainless.

I can't really comment on the Yamaha 25 HT, except to say it's quite a bit heavier - about 30 kg per motor - and their propellers are huge, and should give excellent thrust. IMO Yamaha and Honda are a quality product, don't think you'd be too far wrong either way.

John McEnroe
Old 02-12-2015, 16:58   #54
Marine Service Provider

I just picked up a new 25hp Mercury. I'll tell you what, it feels like another 10 horsepower compared to a new Yamaha 25 HP I owned about 10 years ago. Anyone would think that 25hp = 25hp, but it certainly doesn't seem that way.

Moral of my story is that it's good to compare brands.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 17:10   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Are the Honda 20s available in a 25" shaft or are you running 20". I know the Yamaha T25 is available as a 25" in Asia but only a 20" in the U.S.

The Suzuki 9.9 with 25" shaft is now fuel injected and perhaps tohatsu and Yamaha will do fuel injection in their smaller 25" shaft engines soon.

Quite happy with my Yamaha T8 at the moment.
Old 02-12-2015, 17:25   #56
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Are the Honda 20s available in a 25" shaft or are you running 20". I know the Yamaha T25 is available as a 25" in Asia but only a 20" in the U.S.

The Suzuki 9.9 with 25" shaft is now fuel injected and perhaps tohatsu and Yamaha will do fuel injection in their smaller 25" shaft engines soon.

I believe in the states the Longest shaft you can get on the Honda 20 is 20", in Australia I believe it's 28". Doesn't make sense as the Honda 15 we own has a 25" shaft yet is the same basic motor as the 20hp.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 20:55   #57

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

Our overall consumption is about 1.5 litres per hour per motor, which includes a fair bit of engines just idling while anchoring etc.

This is on a longer but probably lighter boat, but might be useful as an indicator of roughly what you might expect.
Seems reasonable economical. I can't imagine the diesel optioned 1160 doing much if any better.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 00:06   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

I have the 28" shaft Hondas, which AFAIK aren't available in the US for some weird reason.

When comparing engines, it's a good idea if you can, to measure from the bottom of the bracket to the prop shaft. This is the dimension that really matters, not the stated shaft length.

For instance, the 20 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke with a 25 inch shaft is only about an inch shorter than the 28 inch Honda in this dimension. The Tohatsu bracket is much narrower too, which can make getting a well tucked in installation easier.

John McEnroe
Old 03-12-2015, 00:09   #59

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Wow, you really do have an issue don't you. I have read Scarlett's Blog, I have sailed Scarlett, I know Craig and Kerry on Scarlett very well, simply because they chose to sail in a certain way on a heavily loaded boat does not mean that others cannot not achieve different results on a later boat with a lot more composite construction and a lot less weight.

But matter for yourself really, I mean you forum name says it all about your desire to prosecute an agenda, as for incorrect trimming not being the issue, well I have no idea who you are so I am unable to determine whether or not you have a clue.
Maybe SeaSlug could do with some youtube time.

https://youtu.be/eQv1k3CE6hI
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 00:09   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Seems reasonable economical. I can't imagine the diesel optioned 1160 doing much if any better.
Possibly, but as I said our boat is ~ 6 feet longer and lighter. Compared to the standard 1160, probably quite a bit lighter. So it's no surprise our hulls would be more easily driven.

John McEnroe

Tags
catamaran, Seawind, Seawind 1160, wind