Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 17:20   #16
Registered User
 
Aushammer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Brisbane
Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite 2016
Posts: 15
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Thanks again for your fantastic answers. Especially seats as I forgot to ask that. I've been on a couple if 1250's and they work well but also had decided too restrictive on 1160 especially as limit getting to engine.
Almost there.

Is factory fitting the bowsprit or aftermarket?

Finally I am not too familiar with top down furlers but does sound like a simpler system. I presume these are ones you see on deck on big racers like wild oats. Do you just have 1 furler for use with spin and screecher or need one for each?
Do you need extra tracks on side decks for screecher?
__________________

__________________
Aushammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 18:41   #17
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,822
Images: 10
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushammer View Post
Thanks again for your fantastic answers. Especially seats as I forgot to ask that. I've been on a couple if 1250's and they work well but also had decided too restrictive on 1160 especially as limit getting to engine.
Almost there.

Is factory fitting the bowsprit or aftermarket?

Finally I am not too familiar with top down furlers but does sound like a simpler system. I presume these are ones you see on deck on big racers like wild oats. Do you just have 1 furler for use with spin and screecher or need one for each?
Do you need extra tracks on side decks for screecher?
Following, especially about the furler for the spinnaker.

I have a Seawind 1000 with extended sugar scoops. For single handing the furler on the working jib allows setting the jib from the cockpit. I have seats like this I put over the outboard hatches. A lot of the time I steer with my feet while sitting on the hull so I am out in the breeze. Even in heavy weather I often simply sit on the bear hatch; but at anchor it is nice to be able to sit in a comfortable seat. They came with the boat.

At about the 30 second mark there is a good pix of one of the seats.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.rowlan...type=3&theater
__________________

__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 19:01   #18
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: galveston tx.
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,200
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Following, especially about the furler for the spinnaker.



I have a Seawind 1000 with extended sugar scoops. For single handing the furler on the working jib allows setting the jib from the cockpit. I have seats like this I put over the outboard hatches. A lot of the time I steer with my feet while sitting on the hull so I am out in the breeze. Even in heavy weather I often simply sit on the bear hatch; but at anchor it is nice to be able to sit in a comfortable seat. They came with the boat.



At about the 30 second mark there is a good pix of one of the seats.



https://www.facebook.com/mike.rowlan...type=3&theater

Tom, I recognize 3 people in that video. My memory must be failing, when was that taken?


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 19:08   #19
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 2,735
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

A bit off topic, but whew! That main has some serious mildew. Have you come up with any way to clean it. I just but my boom, main and stack pack back on the boat after storing in my shipping container as one unit all summer.

It seems like a huge problem with a laminate sail. I try to hoist my main at least once a week to dry it out. Seems to work ok, but still have some minor mildew.
__________________
Check out my blog: sailingcatamarans.blogspot.com
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 19:26   #20
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: galveston tx.
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,200
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
A bit off topic, but whew! That main has some serious mildew. Have you come up with any way to clean it. I just but my boom, main and stack pack back on the boat after storing in my shipping container as one unit all summer.



It seems like a huge problem with a laminate sail. I try to hoist my main at least once a week to dry it out. Seems to work ok, but still have some minor mildew.

That main is looking great compared to the way it looked a year before. Doesn't seem to have affected it.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 19:32   #21
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: galveston tx.
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,200
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Look at the sea conditions, sail plan and speed in that video. A reefed main a 90% jib and speeds in the low 6's to low 7's in way less than 10kts. of wind. If I remember correctly, the screecher was at the sail loft being recut.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 21:53   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Singapore
Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Posts: 245
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushammer View Post
Thanks again for your fantastic answers. Especially seats as I forgot to ask that. I've been on a couple if 1250's and they work well but also had decided too restrictive on 1160 especially as limit getting to engine.
Almost there.

Is factory fitting the bowsprit or aftermarket?

Finally I am not too familiar with top down furlers but does sound like a simpler system. I presume these are ones you see on deck on big racers like wild oats. Do you just have 1 furler for use with spin and screecher or need one for each?
Do you need extra tracks on side decks for screecher?
The bowsprit is factory fitted, and when you take this option it comes with all the deck fittings and tracks.

The one furled drum does both sails however the screecher has its own torsion line sewn into the sail. Best explained in the below video, exactly same setup and process.

https://youtu.be/jB0xUOtIJxo
__________________
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 23:01   #23
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,822
Images: 10
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Tom, I recognize 3 people in that video. My memory must be failing, when was that taken?


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
That was the day of the survey just before the boat was hauled. Here is a more recent one heading to Ft. Myers

__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 23:49   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Singapore
Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Posts: 245
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Here is the followup with video,

1160 Catamaran under construction and a very quick tour of the 1600

https://youtu.be/OhstYTsHYX4
__________________
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 05:32   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Singapore
Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Posts: 245
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Here is the followup with video,

1160 Catamaran under construction and a very quick tour of the 1600

https://youtu.be/OhstYTsHYX4
this link should work

https://youtu.be/CyePf_Egazg
__________________
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 21:25   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Singapore
Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Posts: 245
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Following, especially about the furler for the spinnaker.

I have a Seawind 1000 with extended sugar scoops. For single handing the furler on the working jib allows setting the jib from the cockpit. I have seats like this I put over the outboard hatches. A lot of the time I steer with my feet while sitting on the hull so I am out in the breeze. Even in heavy weather I often simply sit on the bear hatch; but at anchor it is nice to be able to sit in a comfortable seat. They came with the boat.

At about the 30 second mark there is a good pix of one of the seats.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.rowlan...type=3&theater
Hi Tom,
your boat looks very qucik in those light breezes, just noticed in the video you seem to have a engine of some sorts on the port transom, is this a dive compressor? if so what brand etc.
__________________
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 15:21   #27
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,822
Images: 10
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Hi Tom,
your boat looks very qucik in those light breezes, just noticed in the video you seem to have a engine of some sorts on the port transom, is this a dive compressor? if so what brand etc.
I am happy with how fast the boat is. Have to say a lot of that is due to the big square top. I don't like the hassle of raising it and lowering it, but put up with it because of how it sails.

It is a hooka made by Hookamax

Not saying it is the best one for salt water but it works well for freshwater springs where I used it for a few years. I took it off the boat since I was not using it much. I am looking for an electric one that are generally much smaller. Looked into compressors for SCUBA tanks but they are much more expensive and both the tanks and compressor need to be maintained.

Have to say I am really looking for a good solution for diving while cruising.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 23:46   #28
Registered User
 
Aushammer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Brisbane
Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite 2016
Posts: 15
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Andrew.what sail material did you go for.I ordered the cruising laminates main and jib.
__________________
Aushammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 00:56   #29
Registered User
 
Aushammer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Brisbane
Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite 2016
Posts: 15
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Pretty sure this is my last question Andrew.Does the screecher have a track inside stays or run outside stays and come into a block.If outside do you need separate blocks for screecher and asymmetric??
__________________
Aushammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 02:12   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Singapore
Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Posts: 245
Re: Seawind 1160 Lite Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushammer View Post
Pretty sure this is my last question Andrew.Does the screecher have a track inside stays or run outside stays and come into a block.If outside do you need separate blocks for screecher and asymmetric??
On my setup its separate blocks, screeched inside track along the deck, and spinnaker is outside to another separate block.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	113031  
__________________

__________________
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catamaran, Seawind, Seawind 1160, wind

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions: Seawind 1160 Lite? avid Multihull Sailboats 39 07-03-2015 13:23
G'Day from an Aussie Seawind 1160 Owner DevoDave Meets & Greets 3 17-11-2009 15:23
Seawind 1160 BIRDDOG Multihull Sailboats 17 22-06-2009 22:14
Seawind 1160 in Newport TabbyCat Multihull Sailboats 1 22-08-2007 07:06


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.