Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 15:54   #1

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Seawind 1160

Except for smaller catamarans like the Hobie, I've sailed monohulls most of my life. But I saw a Seawind 1160 at the boat show">Annapolis boat show and really liked it. Can someone here objectively evaluate this boat against the competition in the 38-40 ft. range? I'd be looking to cruise full time in the Carribean and the Med and to spend approximately $500-600K on a new or late model used boat. There are just two of us, so we don't need a floating hotel, although compared to our 30 ft monohull, the Seawind certainly seemed like one.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 16:41   #2

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
I can't answer your question about the Seawind, but I agree they caught my attention also! I am interested in the Seawind 1000. My worry may be the "goldfish bowl" aspect, but I guess you could get curtains...?
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Heres a link to an 1160 cruising the east coast of Aus

Good Times

and one from the US cruising the world
Victory Cat

and one doing the pacific
Caprice

And cruising world among others have done tests.

Cruising World
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:29   #4

Yes, I've read the good reviews, but can someone provide first hand knowledge of the boat, and how it stacks up against the competition? Is there another boat out there in this size and price range that is as good or better?

As for the "open" salon, I'd want a screen to keep out bugs when the doors were open more than curtains.

BTW, unless it's Practical Sailor, I give zero credibility to boat reviews in sailing magazines. They're all a bunch of shills.
Old 13-10-2010, 21:49   #5

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Thumbs up Seawind among the best!

The Seawind is a very smartly thought out boat. It takes wonderful advantage of the space available. At anchor in the Caribbean, open up the cockpit doors and you are enjoying civilized living outdoors. With the prevailing breeze, you will find that bugs are rarely a problem and no one is really paying any attention to what you are doing. Get curtains to block out the sun at certain times of the day - especially after 3 - 4 PM when the sun will be streaming into the back of your boat.

When the wind dies and the bugs bite a bit, close up the doors and you still have a wonderful space for hanging out.

Time to move to a new anchorage? The Seawind will be among the quickest out there.

If you choose to purchase one, your boat will be the envy of all who come aboard (except for those on a Maine Cat - the best boat for the Carib! )

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 01:35   #6

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
If you choose to purchase one, your boat will be the envy of all who come aboard (except for those on a Maine Cat - the best boat for the Carib! )

Fair Winds,
Mike
Not biased a little are you Mike?
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 05:28   #7

Quote:
The Seawind is a very smartly thought out boat. It takes wonderful advantage of the space available. At anchor in the Caribbean, open up the cockpit doors and you are enjoying civilized living outdoors. With the prevailing breeze, you will find that bugs are rarely a problem and no one is really paying any attention to what you are doing. Get curtains to block out the sun at certain times of the day - especially after 3 - 4 PM when the sun will be streaming into the back of your boat.

When the wind dies and the bugs bite a bit, close up the doors and you still have a wonderful space for hanging out.

Time to move to a new anchorage? The Seawind will be among the quickest out there.

Fair Winds,
Mike
Thanks for the reply. What makes the Maine Cat better? I've also read that the Farrier F-41 is faster than the Seawind 1160.
Old 14-10-2010, 05:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Not biased a little are you Mike?
Biased? Me? Puh-leeze!

Anecdotally, I will say we rarely have someone come on our boat without a bunch of "ooohing and aaahing" when they see the cockpit and the panoramic views.

The Maine Cat is one of those boats where people either get it or they don't. I really only mentioned it because the Seawind 1160 came to the US just after we made our decision to buy our MC. The Seawind would have been on our short list. I therefore subjectively guessed that the OP might have similar requirements to ours.

Fair Winds,
Mike
Old 14-10-2010, 05:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Thanks for the reply. What makes the Maine Cat better? I've also read that the Farrier F-41 is faster than the Seawind 1160.
IMO (notice the missing "H" ):
  • A bit bigger
  • holds more "stuff"
  • maybe a smidgen faster - still like to have a chance to go head to head w/ a Seawind
  • better visibility from the helm - no looking through the salon
  • primary berths are more centered (2 Queen-sized)
  • Dinghy storage is among the best in the industry

That's a few off the top,
Mike
Old 15-10-2010, 06:50   #10

LOL. There's no need to feign humility with me.

My one reservation with any cat is the pointing ability. I do not like to motor. Is there a cat with daggerboards in the 38-40 ft. range? Do daggerboards really help that much? I've read conflicting views.
Old 15-10-2010, 08:04   #11

Pointing ability...

...schmointing ability.

Truly one of the mythical arguments against cats (bashing will begin here by the CF experts).

The more important measure is VMG to your upwind waypoint. Try and make your cat sail to its best VMG rather than how high you can point and you will arrive at your destination faster (this is actually true for any boat).

Daggerboards may help, a lot depends on their design. Asymmetrical boards are generally better than symmetrical, but then you are always forced to deploy the leeward board when it might be more prudent to deploy the windward. Trade-offs and compromises - hey, it's boating, right?

Fair Winds,
Mike
Old 15-10-2010, 08:29   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I sailed the 1160 at Demo Days Tuesday, and was quite impressed. The steering is smooth, accurate and has feel, the sails are easily managed to racing precision from the cockpit, the side decks are very easy to get around on, and the accommodations are at least 4 star hotel comfortable. The galley is very well laid out, and there is room for adequate refrigeration. Think "Banana Split in Paradise" and ice cubes in your coke. The Screecher is the just-right sail for light air, and the ability to swing the pole opens a few interesting doors.

The boat I sailed had several options that I would consider must haves for truly opulent sailing, like powered halyard winches and fully integrated electronics, instruments and autopilot. In short, it is fit competition for any cruising cat in most any waters.

I'm a bit more biased for dagger boards than Yoga O, but he's right: they matter most on long open water windward slogs, or tacking up a wide river against the tide. These are not places a gentleman sails.

p.s. These engines are a later generation than mine, and offer some desireable improvements, particularly glow plugs. The boat is a delight to maneuver in restricted areas because the keels offer better low speed directional stability and resist windage better. I would have to lower my boards all the way to achieve something close, and would be drawing a lot of water where there isn't usually that much.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 16:19   #13

Boat: Oceanis 411
1160 is my wife's choice thus far.
If I have to go cat, that model would be my ideal choice at that price point. Features are perfect for how we would use the boat - especially the galley down with good views, and the expansive saloon and rear deck.
Old 15-10-2010, 17:24   #14

Quote:
...schmointing ability.

Truly one of the mythical arguments against cats (bashing will begin here by the CF experts).

The more important measure is VMG to your upwind waypoint. Try and make your cat sail to its best VMG rather than how high you can point and you will arrive at your destination faster (this is actually true for any boat).

Daggerboards may help, a lot depends on their design. Asymmetrical boards are generally better than symmetrical, but then you are always forced to deploy the leeward board when it might be more prudent to deploy the windward. Trade-offs and compromises - hey, it's boating, right?

Fair Winds,
Mike
Yes, I understand this. My cutter will be a knot faster if I don't try to point her too high.

Even so, a boat that can point to 30 degrees apparent has an advantage over one that can't.

What's an asymetrical daggerboard?
Old 15-10-2010, 17:54   #15

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Rationalize all you want. In the end every boat purchase is an emotional decision. The facts are just bandied about to try to make sense of it.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind, Seawind 1160