Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 11:17   #1

Sea Tribe 870 8.7 Meter Cat

The Sea Tribe 870 is a 28.5' open bridge deck cat built in South Africa. I'm just curious if anyone has any experiance with this boat. I would love to hear from someone who has sailed one. I've been aboard one and seen the construction quality which looks pretty good. I just don't know how it handles. I would only be considering it as a coastal cruiser in South Florida and the Bahamas. Day sails and weekends with the family on board. Not looking to cross oceans in it. At 3,300 lbs and a SA/D ratio of 26.5 she should be pretty fast.

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:56   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Abaco, I don't know anyone who has sailed one, but there is a test available on the net through the multihull.com. Sounds like a quick, well engineered daysailor with occasional overnite capability.

My only concern is the assembly - I suspect that the time estimates are low, and I wonder how one could do it without access to a crane/tow motor. In addition, if you wanted to do any actual coastal cruising beyond weekends, I wonder if a lightly equipped Tomcat or Gemini might not be a better solution for you and your family. Yes, it would be more expensive, but they would also be a lot more boat in terms of comfort, accomodation and I suspect, resale value.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:31   #3

Thanks for the input Brad.

Hopefully someone in the forum has sailed one.

Steve
Old 11-10-2008, 11:58   #4

I had the experience of a lurid pink Seatribe in Durban. The Seatribe's an awesome little weekender! I'm quite happy with their choice of rig, but I might look at maybe an extra 3-6' or so on the stick were I to buy one for me only, and a F/B mains'l, just so I could behave REALLY badly with it!
Anton du Toit designed it, and his design crosses quite nicely between "family boat" and "dad's toy". It drives quite lightly, and everything's just the right size- nothing feels plasticky.
Downside: I'd look at getting their special trailer to help with the assembly if you wanna cart it all over the country, but then you'll need a 3-litre pickup or so to pull it any great distance, because disassembled it's still not a laser or hobie. It's very definitely a 28' cat with respectable accommodation!
I'm a little biased- I saw the pink one being built, and the guys that built the project are craftsmen- vacuum infusion and stupidly-superior spray finishes are the order of the day, as well as custom fitment. I compared it to the other portable cats on offer out here, and there's a world of difference!
Splash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 13:32   #5

Splash,

Just what I wanted to hear. They have one in Fort Lauderdale that I'm thinking about. I'd keep it behind my house so no need for a trailer. I went on board last weekend and looked it over. The build quality is very impressive.

One concern I have is the outboard engine in the center of the bridge deck. That needs to be reengineered to move the engine controls off the tiller to a more conventional system. I have 4 bridges to navigate to get open water so control under power is pretty critical for me.

My kids are 2 and 4, so I'm not looking for a blue water cruiser yet. Something to hold me till I'm ready to move up would be nice. This boat looks like it would fit the bill.

Do you have any idea how many they have built?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-10-2008, 14:51   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
Thanks for the input Brad.

Hopefully someone in the forum has sailed one.

Steve

Why don't you just buy a Stiletto? Open deck, about the same size and they are all over Florida??
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote