Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-10-2014, 15:24   #106

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Scarlet's Annapolis Review

This has been a fun thread to read, but I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned the 90' Catana at the show! I still can't decide if it was impressive or ridiculous.

My son and I were there on Sat in the rain, which made for a very short line @ Gunboat. Impressive boat, but perhaps a bit too much technology - I wonder at what point automation takes the fun out of sailing. (autopilots are great for steering for long periods, but I'm not sure I want my main to decide on its own that it needs to be eased.)

After doing a preliminary look @ the cats on Sat, we came back on Sunday with my wife to show her our "short list".

Features of the Leopard 44 appeal to my wife, but the Sunsail version didn't really show off Leopard in the best light - talk about a plastic boat! The 48 at Leopard's booth looked much nicer. We will probably do a charter next summer to see how they sail.

The Lagoon 39 looked intriguing on paper, but it certainly doesn't seem to be built for somebody looking to maintain their own boat. I recall checking the engine compartment to find the motor tucked so tightly up against a forward bulkhead I can't imagine checking, much less changing, a belt or impeller. The boat definitely seemed to appeal to those who focus on the pretty decor and living space. I personally am more concerned about how the systems and sail rig are set up.

The Isara 50 imho was a beautiful boat, but I'm not a fan of fly bridges. Hope to see the 45 before we make a commitment. I do like the hybrid power systems - they make a lot of sense to me (I'm sure others would respectfully disagree. )

The Maverick 440 has a lot of appeal. It's not the prettiest boat on the outside, but there are definitely a number of thoughtful features in the design and everything was accessible for my wife who is only 5'2". We actually went out on Tuesday for a test sail - loved how she handled. Helm feel was much better than the other cats we've sailed.

The Helia 44 still shows much better than the newer Saba 50. Helia seems like it could be the "safest bet" when looking at a production boat in this size.

The Antares was impressive but honestly overkill for how we intend to use the boat. Expecting to mainly split time between the Carib and Chesapeake, I feel like the Antares would be the equivalent of buying a serious off road vehicle to travel to the local grocery store.

Scarlett, I think we are in a very similar situation as you - planning for the move to a cat in the next couple of years, sailing our 30' mono as much as possible on the bay to gain more experience. We also plan on chartering whenever possible to evaluate different cats and really see what we like and don't like. I just wish there was a Seawind 1250 on the East coast that I could check out.

Sorry for the long post - end of work day Friday and this thread just reminded me of what a great time we had at the show last weekend.

Old 17-10-2014, 15:49   #107

Boat: 1983 oday 22'

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimini View Post
. I just wish there was a Seawind 1250 on the East coast that I could check out.

I agree! the only Seawind there that I saw was the open salon one... and I wasn't interested in that at all..

Old 17-10-2014, 17:48   #108

Great thread... Thank you Scarlett for starting it!

Rich
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-10-2014, 19:41   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I agree! the only Seawind there that I saw was the open salon one... and I wasn't interested in that at all..
That was a little disappointing, both last year and this year, Seawind has only shown the 1000. This would have been a great time to show off the new 1160 Lite. I would have loved to see that.
Old 17-10-2014, 19:45   #110

Didn't they show a Seawind 1250 in San Diego this year?
Old 17-10-2014, 19:57   #111

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

My wife was in San Diego for a conference during the boat show earlier this year. They had the 1160 (not the Lite) but no 1250.

I'm wondering if Seawind is serious about the US market or if they think the boat won't attract buyers here.

On paper, everything about the 1250 seems perfect - I especially love the twin helm set up that is in the cockpit.
Old 18-10-2014, 20:59   #112

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Scarlet, there's an Antares 44 posted just today in the CF boat classifieds.
Nice frickin boat and loaded.
Old 18-10-2014, 21:14   #113

wow... that is a BEAUTIFUL boat!! and loaded to the gills.. Only thing wrong I see with it is the price.

I would describe the price as being somewhere between "OUCH!!" and "BOINNNNGGGGG!!!!!"
Old 18-10-2014, 21:26   #114

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

It's high alright but they do seem to hold their value better than most.
Old 18-10-2014, 22:05   #115

I really want that 44i... Expensive but considering the setup it should sell quickly.

Old 19-10-2014, 02:46   #116
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We cruise full time without a generator as well, no problem so far. We have never needed to go to a marina to charge batteries or for water, but we don't have Aircon or a washing machine and have never felt the need for them. Some things that help us stay self sufficient are 1120W solar, 840Ah batteries, 1600W inverter, efficient watermaker. Batteries are usually fully charged by mid day at anchor, down to 90% in the morning. running 2 fridges and the usual nicknacks.
Cost to set up solar and batteries and inverter is about 6K which is around half a factory installed generator. We can also heat hot water if we want and could probably run a washing machine as well if we wanted.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:35   #117
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 410

There's a Seawind 1160 coming up the Chesapeake in November. PM me for details if you want to see one.
Old 19-10-2014, 22:29   #118

estarzinger,

In your post #91 you stated you thought Lithium Ion batteries were still bleeding edge technology & I know you have a TON of cruising experience, so I'm wondering why you think LiFePO4 batts are still not proven?

Could you expand on your thinking on that, as I'm certainly planning on LiFePO4 bank for extended cruising in South Pacific.

Thanks in advance
Old 20-10-2014, 01:14   #119

Boat: Helia 44

Rob

Not bleeding edge. Just expensive. Most suppliers offer Li Ion option now, but unfortunately 3x price of normal systems.

As you go up in price then Li Ion 24V/48V becomes the norm. If you are paying $2 mill for a boat the extra cost is not significant. If you are paying $600K for the boat then the cost of Li Ion starts to become significant.

If you have a light boat (like say outremer) then the weight gains may justify the cost. If you have a production boat that can carry the extra weight then the cost may not be justified.

Give it 5 years and I think most new boats will be equipped with Li Ion.

Also Li Ion is a little more fussy than normal battery system as the thousands of posts from many experts on these forums attest. Best to assure that it is done correctly.
Old 20-10-2014, 03:37   #120

Boat: Searunner, 37'

My peeve, from the Newport show, is the use of slippery laminate decks on the interior of many boats. Yes, they look very nice but it is like walking on ice. What are the manufactures thinking?!

Tags
annapolis

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: