Originally Posted by Southern Star
Out of interest, now that you have some time on the water, have read some more and have seen more boats, do you think your (and your husband's) priorities, or at least the criteria you use in assessing boats, have changed?
Hi Brad!! missed you at the show! In answer to your question, somewhat. Some of our criteria has not changed at all. We still want a good balance between performance and liveability. Since we will be live-a-boards, I can't be in a boat that is cramped. It would, literally drive me crazy. So, I realy like the more opened designs. One of the reasons I liked the helia, but hated the Saba
, (which is a MUCH bigger boat). Helia is very open in the hulls. Saba was not. I couldn't stand the small hallway, and tiny doors. In fact, in one of the cabins.. the door hit the bed
. too small. I also still want 2 outside areas. We need some space to ourselves. I need to go off, and curl up with a book, and so does he.
The things that have changed are:
1. I no longer have any desire to buy a new boat. The used boats we have seen are very nice, and there is too much depreciation on the new ones.
2. I have to really watch the deck
design.. I want everything to be as level as possible. I don't want either of us to trip, or fall because there are too many uneven spots on the deck
3. I'm really starting to look at rigging
, and what that means to the sailability of the boat. I also have noticed that some of the cats do not have "all lines running to the helm".
4. I don't need a big galley
like I originally thought.
5. Bridgedeck clearance has become very important.
6. after our seminar we took, I'm really leaning towards no 'genset'... The panel seemed to agree that with a good alternator
, lithium batteries, and adequate wind and solar panels
.. you should be able to get by without it..
7. Watermake is VERY important now.. before it was a want.. now it is a need based on how we want to sail.
8. NO WOOD on DECK!!! it is a LOT of upkeep that I don't want!
placement has become a HUGE discussion. There seems to be no real good place for the helm
.. so, that will continue to be a consideration.
10. I do NOT want a helm chair.. I want a moulded seat!
I'm sure there is more...