Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 11:06   #136

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Re: Scarlet's Annapolis Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Scarlet, there are some very energy efficient small washing machines that, if you have a sufficient battery bank/solar panels etc., won't require a generator. Out of interest (as I haven't toured new cats in several years), how many of the new boats in the 40 foot range had provision for a washer/dryer?

Brad
Good question. Almost all the cats we've looked at have some sort of 'cabinet' in the cockpit area.. that is where we would like to put one. Most people use that for outdoor refridge.. but we don't need that. Washer would be perfect out there.. no heat or moisture inside the boat.

That being said.. I don't know how difficult it would be to install one there... or, if it is even possible.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 11:18   #137
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Scarlet, here is an older thread that started back up again this year and should give you some useful information about about washer/dryers, power consumption, etc.:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...boy-11504.html

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 11:23   #138

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Nope... but I've read a lot of Victorian romances novels, does that count?
Nope doesn't count. In one of your posts you used the word whilst. I know it's common over there but really uncommon here. In fact you are the only yank that I have heard it from, ever.
Now I'm going to eat my lunch whilst cruising CF.
Old 20-10-2014, 11:25   #139
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I would think that it would be best to keep it in the cabin as, even with a lid/door, an exterior cabinet is bound to allow more moisture/salt deposits to get at an appliance that was not designed/built for that environment. That being said, if you are not using the dryer, you won't find that much more heat or moisture in the interior when it is in use. If you end up with an ex-charter boat (or at least, one with that type of layout), one of the extra head compartments could probaby be modifed quite readily to accomodate one.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 11:50   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Nope doesn't count. In one of your posts you used the word whilst. I know it's common over there but really uncommon here. In fact you are the only yank that I have heard it from, ever.
Now I'm going to eat my lunch whilst cruising CF.
What 'cha eatin? Bangers and Mash?
Old 20-10-2014, 14:50   #141

Boat: Lightwave 45

At our "Cruising the Pacific" seminar involving 20 couples this issue of washing machine created the most discussion.

Not surprisingly, the sides taken were based on gender lines, and it soon became apparent that potential divorces were in the offing over this issue.

For me, the decision was easy, as my partner made it absolutely clear. IF there was not a washing machine then she would not be coming. This should be considered in the context that we already had a cruising cat (Orana) with no washing machine.

So the washing machine went into its prescribed spot in the Helia next to the owners bathroom.

I must confess that it gets used every second day. Sailing involves a lot of activities and often we go through two sets of clothes a day and we use a great number of towels. In the tropics you have two choices at night - to sweat or to air con. We choose air con but if you choose to sweat then you really need to get that bed linen done regularly.

I feely admit that I like firstly, to have a long, hot shower every night, and I like to get into a fresh set of clothes every day, but I am nearly 60, and my macho days are long gone. My 24 yo son on the other hand can quite happily go off with his mates and not shower or wash clothes for long periods. It all depends on what you and people in your vicinity regard as acceptable.

I would advise anyone that before making any decisions in this regard to charter a boat in the tropics for a couple of weeks (and not check into a resort every second day) and decide for themselves what they can and cannot live without.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 15:03   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
At our "Cruising the Pacific" seminar involving 20 couples this issue of washing machine created the most discussion.
Did you take that seminar in Annapolis? if so.. DARN! I missed it! do you remember who offered it?
Old 20-10-2014, 15:18   #143
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

Not surprisingly, the sides taken were based on gender lines, and it soon became apparent that potential divorces were in the offing over this issue.

For me, the decision was easy, as my partner made it absolutely clear. IF there was not a washing machine then she would not be coming. This should be considered in the context that we already had a cruising cat (Orana) with no washing machine.

So the washing machine went into its prescribed spot in the Helia next to the owners bathroom.

I must confess that it gets used every second day. Sailing involves a lot of activities and often we go through two sets of clothes a day and we use a great number of towels. In the tropics you have two choices at night - to sweat or to air con. We choose air con but if you choose to sweat then you really need to get that bed linen done regularly.

I feely admit that I like firstly, to have a long, hot shower every night, and I like to get into a fresh set of clothes every day, but I am nearly 60, and my macho days are long gone. My 24 yo son on the other hand can quite happily go off with his mates and not shower or wash clothes for long periods. It all depends on what you and people in your vicinity regard as acceptable.

I would advise anyone that before making any decisions in this regard to charter a boat in the tropics for a couple of weeks (and not check into a resort every second day) and decide for themselves what they can and cannot live without.

I think the fact that's missing here is that the human body will acclimatize quite well to its surroundings. Of course if you keep yourself in the Ac all day when you eventually get out you will probably be miserable. So I don't think the one to two week charter would be that telling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 17:08   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I think the fact that's missing here is that the human body will acclimatize quite well to its surroundings. Of course if you keep yourself in the Ac all day when you eventually get out you will probably be miserable. So I don't think the one to two week charter would be that telling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is completely accurate and worth understanding. Our ac broke at the house early this summer and we tried to see how long we could go without getting it fixed. Sort of a test to see how life on a boat without ac would go. We quickly got used to it and there were maybe 5 uncomfortable nights. Now it's cold out again.

We're in the DC area where congress historically left for the month of August to get away from the heat and humidity. Perhaps they've always just been looking for excuses to not get anything done.

Our friends thought we were crazy. First no cable or wifi and then no ac!?!? The horror.

Now we'll see how winter on the boat goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DanDanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 17:35   #145

Boat: Lightwave 45

Quote:
Did you take that seminar in Annapolis? if so.. DARN! I missed it! do you remember who offered it?
Sorry, only available in OZ or NZ. Island cruising association.

Quote:
Of course, but who in their right mind would keep themselves in the AC all day. Many of us simply cannot sleep at 35-40C and 100% humidity, and without sleep your health deteriorates, so air con at night in these climates is reasonable. Others are capable of sweating it out and as you say acclimatising.

It is only by spending some time in these environments that one can tell how the body will respond.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 18:13   #146

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Really, I am one of those.... That all this time in Queensland semi trop to tropical, I still require air conditioning at night for maybe 6-8 weeks a year. Heat is nice in cold Westerlies as well for a few weeks a year..

I mean fair enough, I cannot sleep in over 32 degrees or so, flop around all night in a sweat. I do have some minor health issues, and any way cannot get any good sleep over about 30-32C. Now my experience is that if I can make it till 10 or 11 at night an evening breeze might come up and anyway things cool off a bit.

Of the four ac units, two in the Maestro Masters Stateroom, and two in the main salon, I will have one of each running in those conditions for 3-4 hours of an evening in the heat. The other is for redundancy, came with the boat.. The one each in the port hull queen staterooms would only be used with guests on board.

When I was young, I would tough it out. I did not have the money or the choices, so I toughed it out camping out... Now in my 60's, since I am making it a Lifestyle, I have found with each decade I needed one more star in my accommodations... heh he.. Helia 44 is 4 Star, and I do not know what 5 star is yet.. heh he
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 18:23   #147
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Trust me there are nights where I dreamed of air conditioning, but overall the hassle, cost and weight of owning a generator and Ac system hasn't made it worthwhile. But maybe in a few years
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 02:33   #148

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

So we live & cruise in tropical Far North Queensland on our Lagoon 380. Definitely NO Air con or built in large gen set. Just 12 volt fans in each living area. As long as we are at anchor in the breeze we don't suffer much at all.

We cruise extensively during the hottest & most humid part of the year (summer/wet/cyclone season). Yes, at home we have ac, but on the water it is so much more comfortable & we don't see the need for the extra complexity & overheads.

We're both in our mid 60's but love life to the fullest & believe that cruising is about 'cruising'.

But each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 05:42   #149

Boat: Hunter 430

Here were my wife's and my thoughts:

1) The Gunboat 55 was a party boat, not for cruising. Too bad, too.

2) We liked the Saba 50! It is a Helia on steroids. My teenage kids turned their noses up at the Helia after being onboard the Saba, but they aren't the ones with the checkbook . Bottom line, both were great.

3) I still feel that the flybridge on the Lagoon 450 is the coolest.

4) The Isara 50 has NO VENTILATION in the main salon! No forward hatches, no hatches above, and the galley blocks any breeze going to the aft deck. You'd have to have the A/C on the entire time...what a shame! I'd love to see an Isara 45, though.

5) We've been to the Annapolis show and Miami show many times. The Miami show has way fewer spectators, so you get more personalized attention at that show. But I grew up in Annapolis and love it there, so if you're going for fun, there's no comparison....go to Crabtown.
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 06:00   #150

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Trust me there are nights where I dreamed of air conditioning, but overall the hassle, cost and weight of owning a generator and Ac system hasn't made it worthwhile. But maybe in a few years

I'm surprised at the apparently common distaste for having a genset. I can imagine weight issues, and certainly cost issues, but assuming those aren't insurmountable... we don't see much "hassle factor" with ours. Maintenance is relatively simple, most everything addressed only once/year (most of it when winterizing, in our case).

Ditto A/C. Except for winterizing and the occasional sea strainer cleanout, minimal maintenance -- mostly just occasional vacuuming the intake air (supply) filters.

Quote:

We don't -- and have no intention to -- live aboard, but we are aboard for long periods. Clothing isn't so much of a problem, but washing bed linens is a big deal. Schlepping all that to a nearby laundramat (assuming there is on, nearby or not), is one of the biggest hassles we've encountered. I would sacrifice our second stateroom to a washing machine in a heartbeat (if that ever bubbles to the top of my $$project$$ list...)

-Chris

Tags
annapolis