Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 17:40   #91
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
The questions are a bit off topic so Il will be brief.
Yes he told me that.
No he is not.
Gludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 17:44   #92

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
I did actually try saying those "No's" to SWMBO tonight and her response was she agreed straight away!!! She said she had no need for dishwashers and washing machines because she has ME!!!!! She did say to stock up on the Marigold gloves as I will be using them a lot!!!
Sometimes it's no fun being the Captain..............when the Admiral is around.
ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 17:53   #93

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrntlzrdking View Post
Gludy,

Congrats on the new Saint Francis 50! Wish I was rich.
I have been following this thread on and off since its begining.
It seems to me that many posts have been deleted.
Did you not say in an earlier post that Fastcat had told you that he was the European distributor for Saint Francis boats?
Is this true? Did he tell you this? Is he?
Maybe I misunderstood.

Jeff
That post was deleted?
By whom? Gludy?
I don't want to reread the whole thread.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 18:08   #94
cruiser

Uh-Oh, someone with worse math anxiety than mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Wait till BigCat chimes in with his knowledge of formulas and math.

You may be a little confused rught now.............just wait!!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gcat-6844.html
Dude! It's 3rd. grade math! O.K., so some figures involve the 2/3 power, but you can cheat and use an online calculator for them! It's easy-

Use: D / L Ratio

or: D/L Calculator

D/L (displacement divided by length) - big number = slower (in other words, heavy boat.)
D/SA (displacement divided by sail area) - big number = fast (in other words, lots of sail area)
Hull length / beam big number (hull length divided by hull length) = fast (narrower, so easier to push through water)

Was that so hard?
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 18:09   #95
cruiser

Red face long waterline = fast boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrhawke View Post
Aren't you comparing tests of a FastCat 435/455 to a SF50? The waterline alone is an equalizer in performance.
So true, this what I keep saying! And it's way cheaper to do it this way.
Old 12-08-2008, 18:13   #96
cruiser

Thumbs down AGM problem

Quote:
Use AGM seal batteries and eliminate the hydrogen off gas issue.
Lifeline says there is a 'memory' problem and that you will lose capacity if you don't fully - fully!- charge it each and every time you charge. I talked to their rep about this at a boatshow, and got a verrrry weasely response.
Old 12-08-2008, 18:26   #97

Boat: 44 footer
Big Cat... Now I've gotta build a longer boat to go fast(er).

Not that a rump extension hasn't crossed my mind... Triton with a side profile of a dragon... Sure would be a hoot. 30 loa, and 20ft at the water.

On a more serious note... Does adding a few feet to the hull play with the center of gravity/center of lateral resistance enough to make her a different boat?
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 18:40   #98
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
Therapy
I have no idea who deleted the post or that it was deleted until you pointed it out.
Gludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 18:46   #99

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
Therapy
I have no idea who deleted the post or that it was deleted until you pointed it out.
I don't know if it is gone.

tyrntlzrdking mentioned it.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 18:52   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Lifeline says there is a 'memory' problem and that you will lose capacity if you don't fully - fully!- charge it each and every time you charge. I talked to their rep about this at a boatshow, and got a verrrry weasely response.

It's not just 'Fully Charging' that represents the problem, it's the entire cycling memory. If you don't automate the recharge cycle to start recharging at the same points of discharge, you're going to shorten the life of a deep cycle AGM battery rather noticably. A real PITA if you ask me. When considering battery life (without even getting into the weight savings) the additional cost for Lithium Polymer seems more than reasonable imo. Under no circumstances would I allow a non polymer Lithium ion battery anywhere near a boat though. But the polymer lithium Phosphate & Magnesium's are actually a decent deal when looking at a 'non-spill' , 'non gaseous' battery.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 18:57   #101

Boat: 1967 Starcraft 16' - 1961 Mercury 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I don't know if it is gone.

tyrntlzrdking mentioned it.
Yes. Many of the earlier posts have been deleted.
Nordic dude had asked if fastcat had made the false statements multiple times. No posts remain with any mention of the false distributor claims.
I cant believe I am the only one who notices these things.
It happens all the time here.
tyrntlzrdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 18:59   #102

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
You could reduce fuel load by all that you mentioned, but most of us are stuck with the size of our tanks. And best practices is to always top off your tanks to reduce the free air in the tank and condensation.

My solars by the way put out about 35 amps, the outback MPPT does a very nice job of keep them completely topped off.

Quote:
I have to disagree to some extent on you can't reduce fuel load.

If you can reduce your daily electrical load by doing things like; improving refrig. insulation and using more efficient electrical equipment, ie, compressor,lighting, etc and then size the house battery bank to match the daily consumption; then size the solar cells/wind generator to match or come close to that demand, you will reduce or eliminate the need to run the engine.

Compare to needing to run the engines and hour a day and burn a couple of gallons of fuel daily, that can reduce fuel load hundreds of lbs; depending on time between fuel points.

Going to much higher alternator out put is very common. A single high out put or dual high out puts are a standard options on a Yanmar engine, and easy conversions on most others.
Yanmar Options

By going to a large AGM battery bank, that charge much more rapidly on both solar cells and directly from alternators, and increasing the alternator output three or four times, you can cut engine run time in half or more and save hundreds of lbs of fuel that would other wise need to be carried. Reason for a second alternator topic

Unless you over size the stock alternator and modify your charging system, you are probably only charging your batteries to 70 to 80% of their full storage capacity. Proper charging is like adding an additional battery to your existing bank.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 19:14   #103
cruiser

Unhappy No shirt, no shoes, no truth, no problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrntlzrdking View Post
Yes. Many of the earlier posts have been deleted.
Nordic dude had asked if fastcat had made the false statements multiple times. No posts remain with any mention of the false distributor claims.
I cant believe I am the only one who notices these things.
It happens all the time here.
The board's moderators seem to take the view that all the people calling a certain boat builder a liar are simply indulging in unsportsmanlike squabbling. It doesn't seem to worry them that the board might be used for false advertising and they don't seem to have any sympathy for people who are upset at the prospect.
Old 12-08-2008, 19:21   #104
cruiser

Smile Oh, well, speed isn't everything, or you'd be on a jetski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Big Cat... Now I've gotta build a longer boat to go fast(er).

Not that a rump extension hasn't crossed my mind... Triton with a side profile of a dragon... Sure would be a hoot. 30 loa, and 20ft at the water.

On a more serious note... Does adding a few feet to the hull play with the center of gravity/center of lateral resistance enough to make her a different boat?
A graceful remnant of a gracious era. Unfortunately, it is not the kind of boat that should be extended. The kind of boat that you can extend is the modern, brutally efficient maximum waterline type of boat. Comfort yourself with the thought that the boats zooming by you are full of people looking over their shoulders as they pass because your boat is so pretty.
Old 12-08-2008, 19:29   #105

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
You could reduce fuel load by all that you mentioned, but most of us are stuck with the size of our tanks. And best practices is to always top off your tanks to reduce the free air in the tank and condensation.
This is why I made my own tanks with a balsa core to add some insulation value. I also split the 300 liters into 2 tanks and will have a shutoff on the spare tanks vent, I may even put one on both tanks. Hopefully I won't have this problem

Mke
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote