Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2010, 16:59   #1

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Sanctuary Cove Boat Show - What's on the Market in Oz

Hi all,

Just got back from Australia's largest boat show and the biggest range of Cats on display in Australia.

Looking at the sub 45 foot range I have to say I was a bit taken back by the lack of well designed boats these days.

Some manufacturers seem to be going backwards with heavy boats that look like a block of flats.

As for the lack of knowledge by sales staff on simple specifications, it's wonder anyone buys their boats.

For fear of offending anyone I won't name boats, but I found only one brand had some new innovative designs and knowledgeable sales staff.

Maybe I'm missing the point.

But I know which boat I'm after and sadly it isn't Australian.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 18:09   #2

I'm fully agree!! When I go to a boat show or even discuss matters with various brokers, it really amazes me that most don't know squat about the boat except what they or the owners typed on a page for them to parrot. I was also amazed that most haven't even set foot on the very boat in question?!?!? Those were the brokers far and wide.. AT the boat shows, some were just reading off the brochure in front of me?!?!

It seemed that I had more knowledge of their own fleet then them because of my research before hand.. These are the types of people I hate giving my money to.. Seriously, unacceptable from a professional point of view!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 23:23   #3

I couldn't believe how many didn't know how heavy their boats were, isn't that a critical factor in multi hull performance?
Another tried to tell me that hand laid fiberglass was better than vacuum bagging which was quote "only for use with low skilled workers".
When I mentioned that I had an aerospace background with experience with composites he then went on to tell me there is no way to test the quality of composite constructed components.
I gave up then, suppose I should tell Boeing and Airbus they should start hand laying their aircraft.
Old 27-05-2010, 04:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Well clearly that wasnt the stand I was on, we had a video playing of the resin infusion process, and I know how much the boat weighs.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 20:54   #5

Boat: Young 43
Sanctuary Cove Boat Show

This years show was our first and apart from the wet Friday a positive experience for some prospective multihull buyers.
We liked the Seawind and Lightwave displays and had some good chats with the respective builders and delivery skipper.The Schionning boats were also impressive.
We have decided that we don't like the galley up so were able to rule out the French & South African displays additionally the square bridgdecks didn't appeal and the finish in some not up to Oz standards.
We feel we have learned a lot and made some contacts that will hopefully lead to some test sails and a future purchase.
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 00:17   #6

Sanctuary Cove is great! It's the best opportunity in Australia to step from one brand onto another in order to directly compare, and then go back for another look if required.
It was good to see a couple of the smaller local designers and builders eg Lightwave, Freeflow and Montebello with boats in the water. These are the guys to talk to if you have strong preferences for particular layouts eg. keeping the galley slave down in the bilges! No use talking to FP, Lagoon or Leopard about significant layout changes. They just want to talk about how many extras and finance deals. And if you don't look wealthy enough then they won't wish to talk at all!
We must not have looked dapper enough to be prospective Fontaine Pajot owners because the sales rep spent more time interogating me about my current vessel and financial prospects than answering my questions about the new Lipari. This was all before deigning permission to board. I'm glad that my suspicions about the helm position being a crap idea for tropical cruising were confirmed, because the salesman's demeaner would have made it difficult if we had absolutely fell in love with the boat!
Other than the odd imperious counterjumper (the seawind guys excepted, Factor) and pouring rain on Friday I thought this year's SCBS was well worth the effort.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 16:41   #7

Interesting to get the different perspectives on different designs, I did think the show was great far better than the Sydney show from a Cat point of view.
Not sure whom you spoke to at FP but they were one of the best sales reps we encountered.
Everyone has their preferences and different uses for the boat which means they require different designs.
A big negative with the Australian boats for us is their lack of berths downstairs, poor access into the pods and big climb up to the berths with little headroom.
I guess it comes down to how much accomodation you want from our point of view.
Just for interest whats the problem with the helm station on the FPs?
Old 28-05-2010, 17:34   #8

We thought the show was "ok" overall. So many damn motorboats, the ones that seem to be styled after cheap chinese sunglasses. We already see thousands of them every day here, so it's not overly exciting. We skipped most of those areas.

It was nice viewing all of the catamarans, seeing as I'd never stepped on to one in person.

The Lightwave cats were my favourite by far, loved the 38 they had there. Nice interior work and finish. Great feel to it. The Seawind cats would be my second choice. It's funny, I noticed the name "Dilligara" straight away, took me a minute to realise it was from Cruisers Forum.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 20:23   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Hi Tev

that Lightwave 38 was certainly a very good example, lovingly cared for by its owner as well. I thought it was also good how they angled the boat to get a good profile view. And yep it certainly was dilligara parked up with the other seawinds. Did we meet?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 20:43   #10

The FP Lipari helm seat seems way too exposed to the sun IMHO for tropical use. Probably great for cruising the Med but in Queensland reef waters where long hours often need to be spent at the helm watching out for coral then the "sun helm" with the excuse for a cover would become a "baking dish".
Some of the other FPs seemed better, but still did not offer a good combination of sun protection and visibility into the water in front of the boat. None of the cats I saw were outstanding in this department and it is difficult to assess without sails deployed.
I'm a firm believer that the Mark 1 Eyeball wins almost every time over the latest chartplotter/autopilot combo, especially in coral reef waters where it's common to find "new" bommies.
Perhaps a "crow's nest" complete with wide bimini sould be available as an option!
Old 29-05-2010, 19:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Hi Tev

that Lightwave 38 was certainly a very good example, lovingly cared for by its owner as well. I thought it was also good how they angled the boat to get a good profile view. And yep it certainly was dilligara parked up with the other seawinds. Did we meet?
I think we must have missed you, one of the Seawind reps said you were out (I can't recall where). We'll keep an eye out for Dilligara on Moreton, etc.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 20:29   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Tuskie, that's an interesting observation. The helm positions on all the new FP's, Lagoon's, and RC's are designed for the tropics. Thats the typical reason cruisers don't like them. They are to exposed on passages.

In the tropics most people won't be at the helm, there on autopilot. I'm not sure how long it takes to cruise through the reefs in your area but typically its pretty short in the Carib.
Old 30-05-2010, 01:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
The FP Lipari helm seat seems way too exposed to the sun IMHO for tropical use. Probably great for cruising the Med but in Queensland reef waters where long hours often need to be spent at the helm watching out for coral then the "sun helm" with the excuse for a cover would become a "baking dish".
Some of the other FPs seemed better, but still did not offer a good combination of sun protection and visibility into the water in front of the boat. None of the cats I saw were outstanding in this department and it is difficult to assess without sails deployed.
I'm a firm believer that the Mark 1 Eyeball wins almost every time over the latest chartplotter/autopilot combo, especially in coral reef waters where it's common to find "new" bommies.
Perhaps a "crow's nest" complete with wide bimini sould be available as an option!
Well after the Andrew Short Sockwave tragedy anyone navigating near shoals relying solely on GPS is realy playing Russian Roulette.

As for sun protection I guess nothing beats a good old solid hard top.
Just as well I'm too tight to buy a new boat so won't have to worry about the Lipari's helm station.
Old 30-05-2010, 02:05   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to multihull1 Send a message via Skype™ to multihull1
I couldnt agree more with most of you. Brokers that havent seen the boat, cant answer questions, as simple as whether steering is cable or hydraulic, etc etc. Im not really sure anymore how many people actually steer their boats or sail. I live on the ocean and 90% that come by here are motoring even when the wind is downwind. Are there any sailors out there???ha ha
multihull1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 03:47   #15

I think we're on the same page Palarran:They are to exposed on passages.

If it's too exposed on passages, it's probably too exposed in cold climates and definitely too exposed for this "pale face" in northern Australian waters. (ie "the tropics")

Have a look at google earth or a good chart of the northern section of the Great Barrier Reef, north of Cairns, Australia. I used to live there and it's definitely on my cruising "to do list". By the way, there's quite a bit of inaccuracy in the charts away from the main shipping channels. Now, tell me whether you think it would be a "short cruise through the reefs" and whether you would do it on autopilot alone without the use of very concentrated eyes?

I agree Dragon Lady, the best compromise is probably a solid hardtop over the cockpit with enough clearance for a good view ahead. A wind shield (like the old Lavezzi's) or zip down clears (like the game boats) provides shelter when required.

Tags
boat show