Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 08:28   #16

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I've been using 3M 4000 UV (or is it 4200???) which is white, advertises itself as UV stable, and is fast curing. So far, so good.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 13:36   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Okay, I'll buy that there is little that can be done to stop the dirty black marks coming from my existing sealant. So... can I hear from anybody who has successfully removed the large acrylic windows from an FP or similar cat for reinstallation?

I've tried to dig out the calking from a 2 sq.ft. window facing the cockpit, so I might use the space for an air conditioner while on the hard in Trinidad, and after a day of trying, I actually gave up!!

Ideas? I'm willing to listen to those who have not yet done it, if they have an innovative idea to try. I'm thinking of some wonderful disk that sits on a drill or dremmel, that digs that black gook without scarring the wondow or the fibreglass. Does something like that exist?
SonoSailor,

Yes, there is such a tool: the Fein MultiMaster: Amazon.com: Fein MultiMaster FMM 250Q Top: Home Improvement

Search the forums for stories about it: good reviews.

Also, if you have no leaks, you could just remove the visible caulking and replace that without removing the windows. Sikaflex 295-UV is obviously UV resistant (is there a "295" without the "UV" suffix??). But remember that once the UV inhibitors are used up it breaks down. Everything breaks down from UV in the end.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 13:42   #18

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
On the low end, I've used flexible break away blade cutters. It's a pain, but with tempered glass I have I'm worried the Fein Master would shatter the window.

Amazon.com: 18mm Replacement Break-Off-Blade (5 Pack): Home Improvement
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 16:39   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I never used it yet, but is has an attachment that is meant for the job with real glass. I hear that it works well, without breaking the glass.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 07-03-2009, 15:22   #20

Boat: Woods Sagitta 9m
A little off-topic, but I have a Fein Multimaster, and I find more and more uses for it. The last job I had for it was removing some plywood bulkheads that were delaminating. I was easy and neat to cut out the bulkheads, right through the fibre-glass and fillets. No damage to the hull, and the bulkheads came out neat enough that I could use them as templates to make new ones. I'm sure there'd be a blade I could use to cut through the stuff that sticks my windows in. The tool is a bit expensive though!
pir8ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 18:40   #21

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
It is true that 295 is not UV stable. Sikaflex specifically says you should paint the outside of the window or use a ceramic frit (the dark band you see on auto glass)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 18:51   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah, now I remember. They also have a black primer that will protect the sealant against UV when applied to the inside of the glass/polycarbonate

Edit: they have a good brochure online with instructions for use.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:34   #23

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Fein MultiMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
SonoSailor,

Yes, there is such a tool: the Fein MultiMaster: Amazon.com: Fein MultiMaster FMM 250Q Top: Home Improvement

Search the forums for stories about it: good reviews.

Also, if you have no leaks, you could just remove the visible caulking and replace that without removing the windows. Sikaflex 295-UV is obviously UV resistant (is there a "295" without the "UV" suffix??). But remember that once the UV inhibitors are used up it breaks down. Everything breaks down from UV in the end.

cheers,
Nick.

Thanks, Nick. The Fein MultiMaster looks so good, I want it anyway. Certainly, I'm interested in using it to remove the back window for the air conditioner. But how does it work on the window? Does it just vibrate away, or does it cut in some way? How do you stop it from marring the acrylic or the gelcoat?

Wrt the sealing of the black goop with Sikaflex or another product, I think you're right on, and that is my new path.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:55   #24

Try the Piano Wire trick. If you can get a thin wire like a piano wire or guitar string through in one spot, many times you can use it to cut the remaining caulk around the window out.
drewke07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 11:41   #25

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Re: Salon Window caulking, sealing and maint.

Pardon the long, long, delay. The piano wire trick worked! A hand inside, a hand outside; saw, saw, saw. Actually just used 1/8" cord.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 14:22   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Salon Window caulking, sealing and maint.

Maine Sail sells a good quality Butyl. Had a problem port probably that had been leaking forever as the hole was cut poorly with the port frame barely overlaping in one area. The PO's had used a couple of different sealants trying to stop the leak including the dreaded Sillycone without success. Bedded it with Butyl and it stopped the leak for years till I tore the ports out, glassed in the openings and cut in new opening ports. No problems with the sealant migrating or staining once in place. Do not use solvents like paint thinner to clean up butyl. It turns the butyl into a semi liguid slurry that will stain old gel coat. Just scrape it off which is easily done.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salon