Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 10:31   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip van praag View Post
thanks for the link but does not seem to show the picks i wanted but they are on my profile
If you're looking at a pic on your profile just scroll down a bit. There's a field called "BB Image Code." Copy that and paste it into a post and you're ready to go. For example, here's the pic of your salon.

skatastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 23:08   #17

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip van praag View Post
thanks for the link but does not seem to show the picks i wanted but they are on my profile
Excellent, Philip you are my hero! I've been toying with the idea of living aboard a cat and images like your give me new hope that it's possible to make the space comfortable and liveable.

From the looks of it, you didn't even modify the structure, but modified a couple chairs to fit over it. Is that right? Would love to know more about what you did, how you did it, lessons learned, etc.....

Thanks

Mark
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:50   #18

Boat: privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
Excellent, Philip you are my hero! I've been toying with the idea of living aboard a cat and images like your give me new hope that it's possible to make the space comfortable and liveable.

From the looks of it, you didn't even modify the structure, but modified a couple chairs to fit over it. Is that right? Would love to know more about what you did, how you did it, lessons learned, etc.....

Thanks

Mark
mark
best to refer to pics as you read this!
first took of old table top and kept base then turned base 90o and moved it as far to port side as was comfy for legs etc sitting at table.
then fabricated new table top which folds open on a piano hinge using high load furniture draw runners and two batterns to suport table when open. (will poast pick of detale soon)
the table is only used open when we have more than 3 at the table for a meal or when doing projects sewing etc.
the two large chairs and the office style chair were all from ikia all in black leather.
yes you are right they are modifided to fit existing structure, cut of back legs and screwed frame to existing structure.
then arm rests and the remander of cusions were made from closed cel foam and coverd with 1" soft foam for comfort and soft shape.
them all coverd with matching leather.
the stool is a 5 draw tool box eg snapon stile with thin cherry pannles stuck on and a cusion top.
will add some detale pics after posting this
hope it helps ask any questions an i will try and explane.
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:18   #19

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Wouldn't it be easier to just put a wide screen TV in your livingroom at home (on land), watch old Jacque Costeau films and pretend you're at sea? Each to his own.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:33   #20

Philip,
Thank you for the pictures and explanation. This idea looks great for our liveaboard life. That has been one concern for me about liveaboard- having a comfortable place to relax and read or watch a movie in the evenings.
Katcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 06:51   #21

Boat: Bristol 45.5
I just came across this thread that started with a discussion of the changes I made to my boat, a Dolphin 460. It seems that many others have the same criticism of round/oval setees and large dining tables that I had. Most people buy these boats to either live aboard or spend a great deal of time aboard; shouldn't we be comfortable when forced inside? And, what's more important, dining space for 12 or a comfortable spot to read a book, watch a movie and "stand" a watch?

Since completing our renovations, the benefits of the changes have been noticeable. We're alot more likely to spend a cold/rainy weekend at our docked boat, and double handed overnight passages are much easier, particularly for my wife who appreciates having me a few feet away, stretched out on my 7 foot couch, rather that down in our stateroom where I may or may not be able to hear her request for help from the cockpit.

Anyone who's interested can see before, during and after pics here Remodelling and Equipment Changes and Additions By the way, another Dolphin owner stopped in Charleston on his way north this Spring, saw our alterations and decided to leave the boat here and have the same changes made.

This may also be of interest: I submitted our story to Cruising World for their "Refits and Makeovers" section, but they didn't find it interesting. I guess adding two cupboards to a galley or frosted glass in a saloon is of greater interest!
SCCatSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 10:34   #22

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Wonderful use of color and texture!! And lots of smiling faces always adds to the decor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salon