Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 15:26   #1

Sailing Catamaran for 30k to go Around the World

Hi,
I want to quit my job and go sail around the world visiting different countries, i can sustain this kind of life without working for about 10 years. I have enough money to buy a 200k catamaran but I prefer to save it, because I don't know if I will like living aboard, my experience with the sea has been limited to 8 hours (maximum) in a small boat (motorized or inflatable) for fishing. But I love the idea of sailing in the caribean and other exotic places, resting on the beach, having fun and other pleasures. So , my idea is to buy a (so called) "test" catamaran first , under 30k, below 30 feet, an old boat in good shape, and see if I like this lifestyle, then (after a year or maybe 6 months) buy a catamaran for serious sailing and living aboard, this way I would avoid losing lots of money on something that maybe isn't for me. What do you think of this approach ? Or is it better to buy just the right one from the beginning? I would love one with lots of space (like PDQ 44 Antares, for example), where I could put all my stuff, and feel comfortable just like home.
The problem is, I don't know if a 30k catamaran will be good enough to sail 1 year around the world ? Isn't it going to be a lot of stress for the boat? Can I cross the Atlantic ocean on it going for example from Mexico to Spain ?

Will appreciate very much your comments on my idea.

Nulik
nulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:03   #2

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: sailing catamaran for 30k to go around the world

Why not buy a "cheaper" catamaran and sail the Bahamas for a time and see how you like that?
Then move up to something more substantial (and costly) and try that out on the rest of the world.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:32   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Maybe an older Prout can be had for this kind of money?

And why to Spain. Most would go to FP.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:39   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Look Nullik,

I think your post is a joke. And if it is not, then I think that experience of sailing a small cat is completely different from sailing a big one.

And to get any experience at all, you must survive first. And to survive, you need skills. Sailing skills, in this case.

I would not sail around the world in one year either. Why hurry this much if you have 10 years free.

Good luck.
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: sailing catamaran for 30k to go around the world

What you want is an Iroquois Mk2.. 30ft long and sails well as it has dagger boards.. reasonably good accommodation for the era but short on headroom in the saloon..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 18:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What you want is an Iroquois Mk2.. 30ft long and sails well as it has dagger boards.. reasonably good accommodation for the era but short on headroom in the saloon..
thanks!
this is pretty much what I want, too bad, there probably not much units left since it was built in 1970
nulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 18:44   #7

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Consider a Wharram design catamaran. Check quality of build carefully with secondhand. My ,previous cat, a Wharram 46 foot , amateur built , but has circumnavigated at least twice since I sold her.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 19:02   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
Consider a Wharram design catamaran. Check quality of build carefully with secondhand. My ,previous cat, a Wharram 46 foot , amateur built , but has circumnavigated at least twice since I sold her.
For 30K you can charter a boat for quite a while.

I would love to find a excellent-built 46+ foot wharram. This is very high on our "next boat" list.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 19:05   #9
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulik View Post
thanks!
this is pretty much what I want, too bad, there probably not much units left since it was built in 1970
Usually always an Iroquois or two on the market.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 19:21   #10

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

nulik,

I don't think (or at least I hope not) that your post is a joke. But, as someone who spent 8 years considering catamarans of all prices, I actually think you are being a little unrealistic and uninformed, though I admire your trying (and I guess you are trying to become informed by posting this thread).

In the posts to your thread, there are some excellent suggestions regarding both boats and that you should really get some sailing experience first.

Not knowing where you are located limits how much help the forum can actually give you, since you obviously don't have the means or know-how to sail home from a remote location. A quick search on Yachtworld.com shows most boats in your price range are in Europe.

The Iroquois is an excellent choice and I considered it at one time. The Gemini 30 might also be an excellent choice for a low cost catamaran, as might be Catalacs, Prouts, Heavenly Twins, and other similar British cats. I believe most of the older Wharrams are home-built, and many of plywood, so you will have to carefully scrutinize them.

The suggestion to charter a cat might be a good idea to get some experience and try out living aboard is also a good one.

My suggestion is forget about living aboard for now, or even sailing around the world, as any $30k cat will most likely not give you many creature comforts, let alone a boat in good enough shape to circumnavigate in a year. I suggest you consider honing your sailing skills by purchasing something like a Stiletto 27 or 30, or even a F24/F27 trimaran and do some daysailing and overnighting/weekending to see if you even like being on a sailboat.

Living aboard (and circumnavigating) is easier said than done and, while it is a dream for many, the reality is that it takes a certain mentality and conviction to do it successfully. I apologize if you really have that, but it doesn't sound like you are there quite yet.

I am the last one to want to stop anyone from dreaming, as I dreamed for a long time, but your dream could easily turn into a nightmare if you are not careful!

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

Marshall
Old 25-09-2014, 19:43   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

I would suggest spending your first year crewing on other peoples cruising yachts.
then look for a wharram for cruising in tropical waters,lots out there for around the 30k mark.
try Yacht crew agency, yacht crew vacancy, sailing crew from Crewseekers to get you started as crew
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 21:05   #12

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Do not even think about an old Gemini for offshore work, great livaboard coastal cruiser though.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 21:11   #13

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

nulik, There are a few bloggers here that are trying to put you off sailing. Mate , i'm no ' spring chook ', but I did have the same negatives when I was wanting to go sailing , adventuring, as a lad.

I read Chichester , Slocum etc. then went and did it.I admit to finding God a time or two but recommend that you set out with the attitude that you don't expect help from anyone ,when it is tough !! Cheers !
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 01:10   #14

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

It seems to me you need experience. The Iroquoi is a great boat but in in-experienced and experienced hands they can and have capsized. We had one for 10 years, but that was after 3 previous multihulls. We cruised it across the English Channel but while a number have crosssed the pond, and one has circumnavigated, there is a significant risk in doing so. They are not really a starter boat, even experienced mono sailers have trouble. One such crew took delivery of an Iroquois and turned it over within 10 miles of starting their delivery voyage - in the Solent!
An older Prout would be more prudent. They are well built and fairly forgiving of mistakes, easily handled and they are often fairly cheap although those ones will need work. The Snowgoose 34 would be a comfortable livabord boat.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 05:44   #15

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Or even a catalac 9 meter

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, round the world, sail, sailing