Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2014, 08:12   #31

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Sailing Catamaran for 30k to go Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
You could consider starting your research by googling the Dunning Effect
Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You just described my boss to a T.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 09:51   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
What an honest and frank appraisal of the Endeavour cat.
Horses for courses.
I couldn't agree more. If you are looking for exquisite interior appointments, for the price, they a great.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 20:00   #33

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: sailing catamaran for 30k to go around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulik View Post
why not ?
I actually was considering finding used Gemini or Endeavour catamaran
Sorry, i missed your post. I own a 1988 Gemini 3000 and have been more deeply into the bowels of this thing than most and as a professional boatbuilder for more than 40 years I am continually amazed at the amature build quality. I am just getting done with major structural improvements so it will be safe to sit on its bottom on the beach and be safely blocked in the boatyard. Fortunatly there are a lot of places where I can remove weight to compensate due to the builder wasting weight for cosmetics reasons only. While I realize mine is an older model it is still over 200 boats into the production run and if they had not learned how to build by then i doubt they would ever will.
That said i did a 1500 mile delivery/cruise through the great lakes last summer and it is a great coastal cruiser, very comfortable to be on for a 31ft boat, just in no way suitable for offshore work. I was in a yard in Florida a couple of years ago where examples of all the Gemini models were hauled out and the older models had better bridgedeck clearance so while i would expect (hope) the 105s would be better built they would have to pound more in a seaway.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 20:43   #34

Re: sailing catamaran for 30k to go around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Unless I read this wrong, the OP has not sailed. I would start with a beach cat and work your way up. Fastest way to learn what strong wind feels like on a cat, and cost is no factor (resell for what you paid, which will only be few K).

Sail Delmarva: The Merits of Learning to Sail on a Small Boat
I couldn't agree more about learning on small boats, although i would dearly love to find a bigger cat that is half as well behaved and fast as my 1970 19ft Pacific cat (started in production in 1959)

Steve.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:28   #35

I know where a pro built round the world trimaran can be bought for $55k. A good trimaran is safer,can carry more weight and handle rougher seas than most cats. I would even sell half for $30k and a buyout.
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 15:22   #36

Well, I had my first sail 2 weeks ago, and I didn't want to go again to sail since then until now, after all sun burns are now cured.
What can I say, sailing is really boring. I mean, the guy took me on board to a regata competition (read: that was a fast sailing!!!), compared to the motorcycle sport sailing is boring to dead. Anyway it was a great experience I learned a lot how to move the sails and stuff...
My idea to buy a boat is not to sail, but to acquire mobility to explore new places, new beaches, new countries and new underwater worlds. Maybe look for treasures or try to catch a floating container in the deep sea lost from a chinese container ship. Kind of adventures like these, but I would never buy a boat just to take it out on a weekend and sail (deep water or whatever water) .... too boring. I would use the boat as a house while I move around the world, that's why I need it. It will also be much cheaper to travel this way, with all the stuff you need to carry on, for a trip of a couple of years like I am planning.
So, I am going to rent a catamaran in december for a week and see if I have sea sikness when I work on my laptop inside.... and too bad I missed the anapolis show , would have found lots of cats there I guess.

Thanks for the pointers on Endeavor and Gemini. Will never buy them.
And of course, many thanks to everyone else who commented.
Regards
nulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 15:41   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulik View Post
Well, I had my first sail 2 weeks ago, and I didn't want to go again to sail since then until now, after all sun burns are now cured.
What can I say, sailing is really boring. I mean, the guy took me on board to a regata competition (read: that was a fast sailing!!!), compared to the motorcycle sport sailing is boring to dead. Anyway it was a great experience I learned a lot how to move the sails and stuff...
My idea to buy a boat is not to sail, but to acquire mobility to explore new places, new beaches, new countries and new underwater worlds. Maybe look for treasures or try to catch a floating container in the deep sea lost from a chinese container ship. Kind of adventures like these, but I would never buy a boat just to take it out on a weekend and sail (deep water or whatever water) .... too boring. I would use the boat as a house while I move around the world, that's why I need it. It will also be much cheaper to travel this way, with all the stuff you need to carry on, for a trip of a couple of years like I am planning.
So, I am going to rent a catamaran in december for a week and see if I have sea sikness when I work on my laptop inside.... and too bad I missed the anapolis show , would have found lots of cats there I guess.

Thanks for the pointers on Endeavor and Gemini. Will never buy them.
And of course, many thanks to everyone else who commented.
Regards
Good luck getting the house from point A to point B. I suggest flying.
Old 16-10-2014, 15:58   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

@OP

PLS be my friend and drop your false vision of economy: when you pay 30k for the boat this is up front before ALL other travel costs, this will play out CHEAPER than other means ONLY if you have this catamaran for LONG.

Check out online how many flight tickets and bungalow nights you can get for 30k. HEAPS, mate, HEAPS.

Excuse me talking loud but I want to make sure this fact is heard.

Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 19:27   #39

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

my ribs hurt from laughing sooo hard at this thread..

carry on!!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 19:55   #40

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I just wish I had your budget.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 03:57   #41

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

If he thinks sailing for a day is boring - what will he do when faced with a 5 day passage?

Perhaps he should look at pickup campers and stay on the hard

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 05:21   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. It seems every sailor has their favourite 'days at sea' span. Some like it short, others like it long, fewer like all sorts of outings.

I do not like daysails in big boats. But I love a daysail in a dinghy.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 06:46   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes. It seems every sailor has their favourite 'days at sea' span. Some like it short, others like it long, fewer like all sorts of outings.

I do not like daysails in big boats. But I love a daysail in a dinghy.

b.
Yep, I know quite a few guys who own expensive boats who don't care for sailing but love racing. Other guys who race bouy races only but don't do the mid distance point to point races ever and never daysail. I personally prefer the longer races on bigger boats but prefer daysailing my Pacific cat.

Steve.

Steve.
Old 17-10-2014, 08:19   #44

It so happens I have an Iroquois MK II for sale in Texas, "I also own a Prout.) SO relative to a couple of the above comments I can say this:
Iroquois - According to all records one has capsized. Doing over 14 knots flying a hull and caught a rogue from abeam. Did not have the main in hand so could not "let go" for emergencies. Mine is a 1978 and ready to go for $29k. It is a really good basic boat, very shallow draft, thick hull hard to hurt. It was singled handed here from the UK. If you are serious it is a good way to go many have circumnavigated, there are a couple in progress. The people I bought my Prout Snowgoose from closed their business and decided to sail around the world as a weight loss program I am told. They knew nothing about sailing and the EIGHT adults were onboard for two years making it as far as Chile before they returned having added two very small additional sailors under a year each.
All that to say, get something solid and reasonable to learn on. Find out if you even like living aboard. Find out if you have the patience for sailing. Ask yourself about the creature comforts you require. I often wish I had done the same you are talking about. I was discouraged by my now wife of 35 years. She has come around and we are prepping to take off.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 08:45   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrentp View Post
It so happens I have an Iroquois MK II for sale in Texas, "I also own a Prout.) SO relative to a couple of the above comments I can say this:
Iroquois - According to all records one has capsized. Doing over 14 knots flying a hull and caught a rogue from abeam. Did not have the main in hand so could not "let go" for emergencies. Mine is a 1978 and ready to go for $29k. It is a really good basic boat, very shallow draft, thick hull hard to hurt. It was singled handed here from the UK. If you are serious it is a good way to go many have circumnavigated, there are a couple in progress. The people I bought my Prout Snowgoose from closed their business and decided to sail around the world as a weight loss program I am told. They knew nothing about sailing and the EIGHT adults were onboard for two years making it as far as Chile before they returned having added two very small additional sailors under a year each.
All that to say, get something solid and reasonable to learn on. Find out if you even like living aboard. Find out if you have the patience for sailing. Ask yourself about the creature comforts you require. I often wish I had done the same you are talking about. I was discouraged by my now wife of 35 years. She has come around and we are prepping to take off.
You made an excellent point that the OP may have missed. If he is even considering sailing, especially a multi, and stretching the boats, limits keep that main sheet in hand.

Tags
catamaran, round the world, sail, sailing