Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-09-2014, 07:45   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: sailing catamaran for 30k to go around the world

Unless I read this wrong, the OP has not sailed. I would start with a beach cat and work your way up. Fastest way to learn what strong wind feels like on a cat, and cost is no factor (resell for what you paid, which will only be few K).

Sail Delmarva: The Merits of Learning to Sail on a Small Boat

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 09:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail View Post
nulik,

I don't think (or at least I hope not) that your post is a joke. But, as someone who spent 8 years considering catamarans of all prices, I actually think you are being a little unrealistic and uninformed, though I admire your trying (and I guess you are trying to become informed by posting this thread).
Hi SearenitySail,
I am not joking, I am now spending a lot of time investigating on this, because this is the decision I have taken and now I am planing everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail
The suggestion to charter a cat might be a good idea to get some experience and try out living aboard is also a good one.
I am living in Mexico. And I actually will go sailing tomorrow in Acapulco. I have rented 4 hours time on a monohull boat, only to be sure that monohulls are not for me. (I just can't stand the idea that I bought a multihull without even sailing on a monohull)
I will also charter for a week on a Lagoon 440 or something similar, but charting is only a temporal thing, I may like it one, twice, but circumnavigating for years is different for sure. I had a dream once of biking and riding at the desert (kind of Paris-Dakkar rally), this dream lasted for about 10 years, then I bought an enduro bike and after getting into this sport I found out that the risk of injuring is very high, I have been near accident a few times and then I sold it... Will never be on a bike anymore, why would someone be exposed to risk of broken bones , maybe parayisis or even worse death? This is why I am cautious with sailing, it appears so nice and cool to circumnavigate the world, but what hidden problems there are?
Right now biggest unknown for me is how much to invest in this project.

Old 26-09-2014, 09:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Do not even think about an old Gemini for offshore work, great livaboard coastal cruiser though.

Steve.
why not ?
I actually was considering finding used Gemini or Endeavour catamaran
Old 26-09-2014, 10:05   #19
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: sailing catamaran for 30k to go around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulik View Post
why would someone be exposed to risk of broken bones , maybe parayisis or even worse death? This is why I am cautious with sailing, it appears so nice and cool to circumnavigate the world, but what hidden problems there are?
Right now biggest unknown for me is how much to invest in this project.
I would suggest you avoid sailing in that case.. tho' must confess since giving up M/bikes and taking up sailing injuries are down some 60%...
Face facts... if its fun and cool.. its dangerous.. that's WHY its fun and cool..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 10:27   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Look Nullik,

I think your post is a joke. And if it is not, then I think that experience of sailing a small cat is completely different from sailing a big one.

And to get any experience at all, you must survive first. And to survive, you need skills. Sailing skills, in this case.

I would not sail around the world in one year either. Why hurry this much if you have 10 years free.

Good luck.
b.
I wasn't sure if it was an intentional joke or jumping in without testing the water. If the latter, the experience and good luck comments are in order.
Old 27-09-2014, 01:59   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would suggest you avoid sailing in that case.. tho' must confess since giving up M/bikes and taking up sailing injuries are down some 60%...
Face facts... if its fun and cool.. its dangerous.. that's WHY its fun and cool..
What he said
Old 29-09-2014, 17:45   #22

Re: Sailing Catamaran for 30k to go Around the World

Just buy something like this, straight up.

Catamarans for Sale: HULLABALOO, Athena 38, FOUNTAINE PAJOT , Under Contract, Price: $169,000, USED, Sail, Model Year 1995, Manufacturer Year 1995

Can't go wrong really and you won't lose $30k in depreciation even after a year or two. Assuming it's in reasonable condition now of course.
Old 29-09-2014, 17:59   #23
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Just buy something like this, straight up.

Catamarans for Sale: HULLABALOO, Athena 38, FOUNTAINE PAJOT , Under Contract, Price: $169,000, USED, Sail, Model Year 1995, Manufacturer Year 1995

Can't go wrong really and you won't lose $30k in depreciation even after a year or two. Assuming it's in reasonable condition now of course.

Seems as if you can get an Athena 7-8 years newer for the same price. They are asking a premium for that boat.....but it may be worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29-09-2014, 18:02   #24

I didn't look at other year models sorry, I was just thinking that it's a good boat, well and truly in the sub $200k category and won't depreciate excessively in the short term.
Old 29-09-2014, 18:04   #25
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I didn't look at other year models sorry, I was just thinking that it's a good boat, well and truly in the sub $200k category and won't depreciate excessively in the short term.

I think your probably right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29-09-2014, 18:07   #26

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Charter.....
Old 29-09-2014, 18:15   #27
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Sailing Catamaran for 30k to go Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Charter.....
Wouldn't get a Skipper for that price.. never mind a boat..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 19:35   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
why not ?
I actually was considering finding used Gemini or Endeavour catamaran
The Gemini is very lightly built and has low bridge deck clearance. I heard a story that the builder of the Gemini once took one across the Atlantic and said never again. One of our members started out on a circumnavigation on an Endeavourcat 30. He got from Panama to Australia, quit, and sold the boat. Maybe he should tell you why himself.

Note that I own an Endeavourcat 44 and I would never suggest crossing an ocean in one. Endeavourcats have a high center of gravity, they float on the water, not in the water, their sailplan is not well balanced and the only way to balance it is to reef the main. They don't hold course worth a damn in any kind of wave action and if you lost the autopilot it would work you to death. They have big flat windows which may or may not take a breaking wave well (I am not willing to bet my life on it)so I carry plywood and a screw gun and that is for coastal cruising. While I have had it sailing 9 knots in 12 foot seas and been perfectly comfortable, but they were not breaking waves. That said they are good comfortable coastal cruisers. They sail about as well as other cruising cats their size and comfort level in reasonably smooth waters. Two years ago I won the Georgetown Cruising regatta around the Island race against a FP Venizia, a lagoon 42 and 44. All 4 boats finished within 8 minutes of each other in actual time in an 18 mile race, so I didn't exactly blow them away but like I said it was comparable. Last year some higher performance cats entered and I came in last place.

Endeavourcat 30s in your price range would be the outboard powered Mark I model. The Diesel powered Mark II models sell for at least twice that assuming their engines work. Also their center pod is in the water 90% of the time so basically they have no bridge deck clearance. I don't think you could find a 34 or 36 for anywhere near that price. I know a lot of people that Island hop in good weather in Endeavours but only know of the one that crossed and ocean.

Good luck
Old 30-09-2014, 01:34   #29
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

What an honest and frank appraisal of the Endeavour cat.
Horses for courses.
Old 30-09-2014, 03:12   #30

Quote:
Hi,
I want to quit my job and go sail around the world visiting different countries, i can sustain this kind of life without working for about 10 years. I have enough money to buy a 200k catamaran but I prefer to save it, because I don't know if I will like living aboard, my experience with the sea has been limited to 8 hours (maximum) in a small boat (motorized or inflatable) for fishing. But I love the idea of sailing in the caribean and other exotic places, resting on the beach, having fun and other pleasures. So , my idea is to buy a (so called) "test" catamaran first , under 30k, below 30 feet, an old boat in good shape, and see if I like this lifestyle, then (after a year or maybe 6 months) buy a catamaran for serious sailing and living aboard, this way I would avoid losing lots of money on something that maybe isn't for me. What do you think of this approach ? Or is it better to buy just the right one from the beginning? I would love one with lots of space (like PDQ 44 Antares, for example), where I could put all my stuff, and feel comfortable just like home.
The problem is, I don't know if a 30k catamaran will be good enough to sail 1 year around the world ? Isn't it going to be a lot of stress for the boat? Can I cross the Atlantic ocean on it going for example from Mexico to Spain ?

Will appreciate very much your comments on my idea.

Nulik
You could consider starting your research by googling the Dunning Effect

Tags
catamaran, round the world, sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: