Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2016, 03:53   #1

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Sailing a Catamaran Solo

To anyone wondering how easy it is to sail a well setup cat solo, this was taken sailing in one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world... The autopilot also helps.....

https://youtu.be/5xyLdhwtjUw
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 07:45   #2

Re: Sailing a Catamaran Solo

Very nice! I'll tell ya, I'm going to take another look at that 1160 at the Annapolis show in the fall....

Multihulls are great for singlehanding. Nice stable platform, and sort of like a playpen that is hard to fall out of. Also, I'm getting more comfortable is heavier air with a reef in place. I was out solo in 15+ the other day, and it was not arduous at all.

Here's a short video of some light air singlehanding last fall on Terrapin. Tillerpilot helps a lot. I'd like to rig it up with a wristwatch control for minor course correction. The Corsair shown was also singlehanded.

paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 10:40   #3

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
To anyone wondering how easy it is to sail a well setup cat solo, this was taken sailing in one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world... The autopilot also helps.....

https://youtu.be/5xyLdhwtjUw
Another nice vid Andrew. I am green with envy! Careful you don't kill yourself in your own clutter!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 11:27   #4
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

How easy is it to park though?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 11:33   #5

Another great vid! Thanks! Any plans to cruise to Australia & setup a patron and put together a series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
How easy is it to park though?
Driving a catamaran is like driving a tracked vehicle - you can literally pivot. If anything it is easier than any mono of similar length.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 11:38   #6
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Again park, like at a dock, singlehanded in a crowded narrow lane marina with screaming female monkeys around...
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 13:42   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Again park, like at a dock, singlehanded in a crowded narrow lane marina with screaming female monkeys around...
Can't speak for Andrew's boat but my Seawind has two engines forward of the rudders. It can spin in its own length and walk sideways. I grew up with monohulls and back in the day use to sail into an end slip with the right conditions. But docking a cat with twin engines makes docking trivial. It tracks like a dream when you balance the engines. Docking is not done using the wheel, you control the boat by shifting between forward and reverse.

Have to admit my experience with screaming female monkeys is limited.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 13:43   #8

Boat: Hanse 348

Long time sailor, but new to cats. Have been out about 15x in the past year.

1. I am on a mooring, and single hand. Easy to pick up mooring by myself. Just get the pickup stick between the 2 hulls, I can then grab it and get one of the 2 pendant loops over over one of the cleats. Once one is on, I can then pull the other one on, or if too much wind, can leisurely go back to help, re maneuver boat and get other loop on.

2. Docking. With 2 engines, it is so much easier to position and place the boat that with my other monos. I have gotten out slips a few times that after I had done it, wondered if I was really that good, because in a mono, I would have bumped and scraped all along the hull. Hint, I am not that good, it is just that much easier. Truth be told, if my mono had a bow thruster, it would have been much easier as well.

3. Sailing. All lines are led to the helm station on my boat. 1 electric winch. Turn into wind, raise main (yes, a PITA to make sure it clears stackpack lines) on electric winch. Fall off. Pull out roller furling genny, place sheet on electric winch. done, now sailing.

Was out in 22-25 last week. Reefed main to 1st reef point. Had to go 12 mi directly into the wind, so tacked all the way there. Set autopilot to wind mode. When I have to tack, hit button on autopilot to auto tack. take sheet out of self tailer, wait until boat comes around, release line, pull in new jib sheet, wrap around winch, hit button until it sheets in. The only way it could be easier is if maybe I had another electric winch.

I can't say I am expert yet, but for day sailing at least, I can pretty much single hand.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 14:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
The only way it could be easier is if maybe I had another electric winch.
Self tacking jib?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 14:53   #10

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Sailed on to the club dock last night. I did have my brother with me, but have done it solo. We have a nice wide approach to the dock
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 15:14   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Its very very very easy. I actually prefer to do it single handed rather than have people assist. You need to get out more.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 16:26   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing a Catamaran Solo

Much easier than a mono for marina's.. once you've the feel of her windage one can literally side step into a berth using the engine.. just got to watch the wheel is well locked.. nearly had an 'Oppss..!!' moment once when the rudder took charge.. knee throbbed for a couple of weeks as well..
Sailing.. its already been said.. everything's at the helm on the modern Cat's..
Still don't understand this 'Flybridge' trend.. now they are a bit of a pain solo..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 16:44   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Take a look at this (especially the last 30 seconds):

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 16:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Much easier than a mono for marina's.. once you've the feel of her windage one can literally side step into a berth using the engine.. just got to watch the wheel is well locked.. nearly had an 'Oppss..!!' moment once when the rudder took charge.. knee throbbed for a couple of weeks as well..
Sailing.. its already been said.. everything's at the helm on the modern Cat's..
Still don't understand this 'Flybridge' trend.. now they are a bit of a pain solo..
Very good point raised , if you intend to do a fair bit of solo sailing then steer clear of the flybridge cats,
Old 18-08-2016, 16:50   #15

Thumbs up Re: Sailing a Catamaran Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Take a look at this (especially the last 30 seconds):

Best solution is always call Brent to dock the boat for you.

Tags
catamaran, sail, sailing